Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time corvette buyer and indeed chevy buyer. My love affair with sport cars goes way back and my interest led me to amateur race in SCCA, IMSA and ICSCC. I drove "A" sedans (Boss 302) and later campaigned a LEGrand D sport racer I constructed. The sleek and beautiful D SR mark 18 was penned by the late Red LEgrand. I was nearing a decision on the Nissan GTR when I saw the C7 Stingray. A few days after placing myself on a dealers list to get a new C7, I saw the ZO6 introduced at the North American Auto Show. Well that did it and my order for a ZO6 is in: G8A velocity yellow, 3LZ kalahari interior, CFV stage ll, Q6U black wheels, J6E yellow calipers, driven through M5U automatic transmission. Thank you all who have taken the time to contribute to the information in this forum. Your indirect advise and copious information has been instrumental in providing much knowledge of the product and my decision making.

Thank you,

RacerX:cool:

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
A warm welcome to our forum and to Stingray ownership RacerX! Great background, I am sure you will have a lot to contribute here as well. :cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Welcome and too bad you'll have to drive 700+ miles to get to a decent road to exercise your Z06. That's about the only downside of living in the Keys (and I'm jealous ;) )

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I just have one question - who is the "real" Racer X ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Wondering if anyone has considered a more aggressively grooved tire for the ZO6 for driving in the rain. When club racing I used a grooved rain tire in lieu of the slicks and adjusted suspension to a more loose setting. In the ZO6, part of the adjustment will be done when choosing the driving mode, but that won't change the tire. Here in South Florida when it rains, it is often a down pour. I think that the Michelin tires are barely street legal slicks which offer the greatest traction tuned with the car's suspension components. In my other cars I maintain the highest recommended tire pressure during the rainy season to assure tire grooves are at their widest, but as mentioned earlier, the Michelin Sport Cup tires are nearly slick. It would be nice to have another set of tires for the rainy season that will help keep the pointy end pointing forward. Any thoughts?

Racer X

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Thanks, Wondering if anyone has considered a more aggressively grooved tire for the ZO6 for driving in the rain. When club racing I used a grooved rain tire in lieu of the slicks and adjusted suspension to a more loose setting. In the ZO6, part of the adjustment will be done when choosing the driving mode, but that won't change the tire. Here in South Florida when it rains, it is often a down pour. I think that the Michelin tires are barely street legal slicks which offer the greatest traction tuned with the car's suspension components. In my other cars I maintain the highest recommended tire pressure during the rainy season to assure tire grooves are at their widest, but as mentioned earlier, the Michelin Sport Cup tires are nearly slick. It would be nice to have another set of tires for the rainy season that will help keep the pointy end pointing forward. Any thoughts?

Racer X
The tires on the Z06 will be the Pilot Super Sports which have excellent wet weather performance. Only the Z07 option gets the Cup tires which as you say, are barely street legal racing tires though I think they would be considered intermediates vs. slicks. Certainly not rain tires.

Reactions: LT1xL82
1 - 8 of 8 Posts