Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jealous co-workers.Yes that's right and it is taking some of the fun out of it.No problems when I owned an award winning 70 SS396,a 70 Nova SS an SL500 and a new Mustang GT daily driver all at the same time.Thinned out the herd as I got to be a slave to them ,put some cash in the bank and bought my 13 Corvette,no big deal.Now with the 14 that I drive to work I getting some bad vibes and it ain't right.Damn,if you are 58 years old and have to be embarrassed about being able to afford a daily driver like this ,something is wrong.I'm done.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting some crap from a couple of people that I work with. Oh you make too much blah blah blah. I just tell them my investments paid for it not my paycheck. Seems to shut them up on that topic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I expect to get a similar responce. This will be the 4th vet I have driven to work, but the C7 is special. It's turning heads the C6 didn't have an effect on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Jealous co-workers.Yes that's right and it is taking some of the fun out of it.No problems when I owned an award winning 70 SS396,a 70 Nova SS an SL500 and a new Mustang GT daily driver all at the same time.Thinned out the herd as I got to be a slave to them ,put some cash in the bank and bought my 13 Corvette,no big deal.Now with the 14 that I drive to work I getting some bad vibes and it ain't right.Damn,if you are 58 years old and have to be embarrassed about being able to afford a daily driver like this ,something is wrong.I'm done.
Screw them! Just because we did the right thing with our money and can afford this car and they didn't is their problem, not ours.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just tell them you can be as broke as me if you really want it that bad haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
So sorry to hear that - many co-workers knew I was waiting for my VY Z51 and when it came in, I got lots of compliments. I borrowed from my 401k to get it and I'm constantly asked about it, even though it's garaged now. I was able to take it in a couple of times and even the bosses remarked about it. Most everyone knows my passion is for my family and 2/4 wheel performance and classic vehicles. No matter what others drive, there is always something to like about their vehicles and I try to tell them that. My only beef is the weather that conspires to keep me from driving my beauty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just tell them that they'll likely go through 3 or 4 soccer-mom-mobiles in the same time I'll be driving this badass machine that gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable, more fun to drive, looks MUCH better, has more power, is safer because I can stop more quickly, accelerate MUCH more quickly to avoid accidents, and can turn on a dime to dodge the f'n deer running out in the road! I can drive it to the car show or dragstrip, use it at both, and drive it to work 5 days a week, not many of them can say that about their DD. They chose to spend their money on kids, I chose differently (not to offend any of you out there with kids but I couldn't afford all three; wife, kids and vettes). I've 196,000 on my '99 C5 (car of the century, tied for first, IAW Society of Automotive Engineers) and it runs near perfectly (almsot 15 years old, going strong, and no signs of slowing down) so I hope with proper maintenance and care, my C7 will be on the road for MANY years to come (and in those years, the jealous ones at work will likely go through several substandard, imo, vehicles). When I explain these things using facts, and not emotion, shuts 'em up pretty quickly lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with this car because of the over-the-top attention and negative (jealous based) BS I have been experiencing since it arrived on 10/14. I know it will die down in time, but right now I don't even want to drive it. My blood pressure must be through the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a love/hate relationship with this car because of the over-the-top attention and negative (jealous based) BS I have been experiencing since it arrived on 10/14. I know it will die down in time, but right now I don't even want to drive it. My blood pressure must be through the roof.

My thoughts exactly.A love hate relationship!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

Wow.....my experience is NOTHING like that........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow.....my experience is NOTHING like that........
I've had people screaming out of their cars at me (multiple times this has happened). Trying to provoke me to race. Lots of guys in newer Camaro's freaking out when they spot me and then swerving around me. Lookie loos everywhere I've gone. One woman got out of her car at a stop light to take pictures. People jockey for position on the freeway to get close to get a good look. Hey. I get all that, but even I didn't think it would be this crazy. I'm completely stressed driving it. When I got my new 2001 C5 in Sept 2000 I didn't have anywhere near this reaction. I do like the car. It's very different than any other Corvette I have... Yet you know you're in a Corvette.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I've had people screaming out of their cars at me (multiple times this has happened). Trying to provoke me to race. Lots of guys in newer Camaro's freaking out when they spot me and then swerving around me. Lookie loos everywhere I've gone. One woman got out of her car at a stop light to take pictures. People jockey for position on the freeway to get close to get a good look. Hey. I get all that, but even I didn't think it would be this crazy. I'm completely stressed driving it. When I got my new 2001 C5 in Sept 2000 I didn't have anywhere near this reaction. I do like the car. It's very different than any other Corvette I have... Yet you know you're in a Corvette.
nope, none of that...I have had some guys remark nice car, had a family politely ask to see the inside and NEVER had anyone race me or attempt to. And that's with 3500 miles from Ohio to fort lauderdale, back to knoxville and back....nothing like that....

·
Registered
58 Posts
nope, none of that...I have had some guys remark nice car, had a family politely ask to see the inside and NEVER had anyone race me or attempt to. And that's with 3500 miles from Ohio to fort lauderdale, back to knoxville and back....nothing like that....
Amazing! I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.. I only have 689 miles on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow...
All of this sounds so cool!
Except for the blood pressure thing...
Can't wait to hear someone dis me.
My retort will simply be to smile and leave em in the dust.
Need to be as far away as possible from those people.
As far as the racers...harmless! Will wave and have a laugh!
Others that just want a look see? Have at it. Can't blame you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
lol, I understand, Gary. Congrats to your daughter, though. Education is very important and something I respect tremendously.

Wow! is all I can say to the other posts. I think we all know that people can't drive worth a (poopie) but Sal, that sounds dangerous.

I've had, for many months, in my C5, a dash camera. It doesn't matter which brand (but I use a SIV M7 I think it's called) but I have it for cops because I've learned that when driving a Corvette you are guilty until proven innocent. The footage from my camera is my innocence.

If people act around me like they do around Sal, I'll just tell them to "Smile to the camera" because the swerving and taunting for a race is, simply, unsafe for no other term. I think all of us 'Vette owners have had to put up with this, I know even in my C5 they act crazy around me (had to deal with a Honda something or other just two weeks ago; someone is lying to these people and telling them their cars are fast, dern salesmen lol). Sometimes I just ignore them and other times I leave them FAR behind; depends on traffic conditions and my mood lol.

Just a suggestion to spend the $185 on a camera whether it be for insurance, cops, or Camaro/Mustangs/other taking it too far. My camera is also an accelerometer measuring in x, y, and z planes and has GPS. After one spends between 50 and 80 thousand dollars on a ride, what's another buck eighty (or so) for something as useful as a camera...again, just my opinion and thought I'd share.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts