Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I went to the Barrett-Jackson auction yesterday with a few specific goals in mind:

1. To see the new 2015 Mustang in the metal.
2. To watch the auction of the final 2015 LE Mustang #1964
3. To see if GM brought any Stingrays.

I've been planning to buy a Stingray for quite a while now, but the introduction of the new 2015 Mustang caused me to compare it to the C7. So I wanted to see it in person to know if it could hold a candle to the C7. In short it wasn't even close. Within 5 minutes of being at the event I came across a yellow 2015 Mustang GT sitting in the halls of the Mandalay Bay hotel. It's certainly a nice car, but it didn't elicit any of the passion I feel when seeing the C7. I was finished with it as an option right there and then.

Thankfully the Stingray presence at the event was strong. There were so many there I lost track. First of all there was a Shark Gray C7 with Kalahari interior sitting right outside the entrance to the vendor display/auction cars display area. It was epic! I fell in love with this color combination instantly. Then inside the event room was a white C7 that was auctioned yesterday with VIN 001 and a Shark Gray Z06. Then it got really interesting, outside setup in the parking lot was an area called the Ride 'N Drives. Chevy had an awesome Stingray display out there with multiple cars including another Shark Gray C7 which I got to sit in and talk to a rep about for 20 minutes. It was glorious.

Then there was the Ride 'N Drives where my perspective on what a sports car is changed permanently. Ron Fellows was present taking people on what was called a "hot lap". You had to drive any other car at the event first before you could go on the hot lap. I drove the new Cadillac ATS coupe with a a 2.0 liter turbo, yawn. Then it was my time for the hot lap which happened in a torch red C7. When they call it a "hot lap" they really mean it! What followed was the most exhilarating 20 seconds of my life! First of all I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THIS CAR WAS TRULY CAPABLE OF!!!!!!! I got in the car and the Ron Fellow's driver made a quick left down a straight away and immediately punched it, I had never felt acceleration and brute power from a car like that in my entire life. But when we hit one of the sharp left turns (they were all lefts) in the course it felt like the driver went around them at full speed and I kept thinking the car is going to slide out off the course to the right, it never did. You guys might be used to this sort of driving or handling but I certainly was not. It was astonishing that the car continued to grip the road around those turns at speeds that had my hands shaking when the ride was over. I REALLY wanted the C7 before these 20 seconds based on it's looks and what I knew was great performance. After exiting the car when my lap was over I was completely and thoroughly enthralled and intoxicated by the experience, it was so much more incredible than I even dreamed it would be!

After the lap I asked one of the guys running the hot laps, "are the drivers crazy or is the car just that good?". The reply I got amused me, without hesitation or even a smile he said, "both."

They provide you with a video of your lap and I'm going to put a link to it here. It's almost embarrassing to see how I reacted but it was genuine joy during that drive so I am going to share it here. I was at a loss for words and even asked the driver if he "was for real?". I cannot adequately capture what this experience was like in words, I think the video does a better job of that than I ever could.

My Chevrolet Corvette C7 Hot Lap video from Barrett-Jackson in Las Vegas

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think you got 'stung', welcome to our world. Have fun in your C7 soon!

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Doc, that was one of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while.

To answer your question of "is the car just that good", my simple answer would be that it's design allows you to safely explore (and extend) your own capabilities.

To me, that is the very definition of a good sports car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I waited until the second year of the C7 to buy one (ordered), and I will wait until the second year of the Mustang, to buy it. I like them both.
The best of both worlds.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Great write up docprego. Those hot laps were stunning. Here is the video from mine: My Chevrolet Corvette C7 Hot Lap video from the SEMA show Certainly gives you a quick but very convincing demonstration of our Stingrays capabilities. By the way, the cars used were all stock with no modifications for the runs.

Reactions: Gyrsaker

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cool! A great way to generate some excitement among potential customers!

I am somewhat surprised helmets were not being used.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks like you had a good time!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Doc, great video. A number of months ago I too went through a brief period of regression in reconsidering either a new Mustang or Camaro for price reasons rather than the much anticipated C7 Z06. After a couple of days of deliberations I concluded there's absolutely NO-WAY. The C7 is in a totally different class in looks and performance, not to mention the incredible fun factor. Conclusion = Never Compromise.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm telling you guys it's 24 hours later and I still can't stop thinking and talking about my hot lap! There is no way that the average person understands how magnificent that machine is. To experience it completely under the control of a professional driver at what seems like insane speeds and G forces around turns is truly something to behold.

Most people look at the Stingray and think, "nice car, it's probably quick". Lol. They have NO idea. I can say this with confidence because 2 days ago I was one of them.

Reactions: Gyrsaker

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Imagine what he would be feeling had he done more than 1/4 of an auto cross run ;)

What's even better is, once you get your C7 find a local club who does monthly auto cross events. Any club worth its charter will welcome novice drivers, pair you up with an instructor and let you learn how to experience this every month.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hey Doc, I highly encourage you to take advantage of GM's offer and enroll in the Ron Fellows driving school. Take either the two or three day course. You'll love every moment and be glad you did.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Your reactions in that video are priceless! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your reactions in that video are priceless! Looks like you had a lot of fun!
I was hesitant to post it because more than once I screamed like a child or let out some sort of primeval sound, frankly I was embarrassed. But it really was unfiltered exhilaration and I wanted to share that.

It was one of the most fun things I have ever experienced, and the single most exhilerating!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Doc-you have to do the three day Ron Fellows level 1 course-You'll be on cloud nine for weeks!

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I was hesitant to post it because more than once I screamed like a child or let out some sort of primeval sound, frankly I was embarrassed. But it really was unfiltered exhilaration and I wanted to share that.

It was one of the most fun things I have ever experienced, and the single most exhilerating!
nothing to be embarrassed about that video is bad ass!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Doc, great write up and a cool video, now it's your turn to get a C7 and give the neighbors a Hot Lap!!!

SF
Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts