Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that the "eco" mode is supposed to maximize gas efficiency. what really happens at different points (cruising, passing, accelerating, etc.) when the eco mode is used? do the gears change differently from, say, "touring"; does the cylinder usage change from 8 to 4 differently--if so, specifically how differently from when in another mode? ive read the manual, could not find any help. does anyone have detailed knowledge or written summary?

·
18,669 Posts
V4 eco mode is nothing but an useless/annoying, CAFE joke on a 460hp LT1
The great thing in this country is that we all can have our own opinions.

My opinion is different, as when we engage in our almost yearly cross-country trips in our Corvettes, Eco mode will be nice to have. And if by having it, StingRays will either be able to be around in the future in spite of severely tightening fuel economy standards starting in 2016, or have more horsepower, fine with me. And, one can almost drive both the manual and the auto to not have it be in Eco mode, or, be in Eco mode a small amount of time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Helped me get 29 mpg on my last long trip, so I'm a fan. You get used to it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Helped me get 29 mpg on my last long trip, so I'm a fan. You get used to it.
Yep I got 32 mpg over a 1000 mile trip in ECO and a big chunk of that was in the mountains.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
No gas guzzler tax!! GM is keeping in line with CAFE standards and yet still providing us with a high performance Corvette!!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
No gas guzzler tax!! GM is keeping in line with CAFE standards and yet still providing us with a high performance Corvette!!

SF
Rick
DING DING DING, we have a winner!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Eco mode is great when bombing down the interstate with the cruise on. It comes off on fun roads. It works great for me. Plus interstates are so boring I've started a new game of how much fuel economy can I get with my speed above 80.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I really find that eco mode is invisible in highway cruising on long drives. Once or twice I 'thought' I felt a 'thunk' as it switched but that may just as well have been from a coincidental bump in the road. As for power... until I come up with a foolproof radar/laser system, power is only going to get me in trouble on the highway. You drift way above 55 if you're not concentrating on keeping it there. And I'm not talking about stupid speed like 120mph, if you get caught going 80 in a 55 they're going to ream you. And 80 in this car is just a brisk walk.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I use eco on longer trips--I just like the car as is. The mode selection is a plus for me. Again the comparision is to my 3,4,5,6 series cars. This C7 is a humdinger. Cant hardly wait to get it on a sanctioned track. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
810 Posts
Maybe no gas guzzler tax a fed level, but in NJ I got hit with their gas guzzler/luxury tax (due to cost!)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Maybe no gas guzzler tax a fed level, but in NJ I got hit with their gas guzzler/luxury tax (due to cost!)
I think NJ has finally surpassed Kalifornia as the tax and regulation capital of the US. Glad I escaped 20 years ago.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My job. I retire in 3 yrs, 4 months, and twenty five days. Then I gotta wait another 5 years for wifey to retire. Then we are OUT OF HERE!!!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As someone who got out of NJ in 2003, I can assure you, there is light at the end of the New Jersey tunnel. I return a couple of times a year to visit friends. I always tell them, the best part of the trip is seeing the "Welcome to New Jersey" sign, in reverse, in my rear view mirror, as I return home.

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did a 3200 mile trip with my Corvette Club from Calif through Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico in ECO mode and got 28 miles a gallon. That included many speed run to 140 MPH and most of the time drive 5 to 10 over the speed limit and some fast starts from stop signs. I am a real fan of ECO mode when traveling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you or anyone had the experience that irrespective of which mode one is in, it will shift into ECO when "crusing", even in Track Mode?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts