Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
So i ordered my '15 a couple of weeks ago (options are in my sig) and I'm not sure of my decision. Well, just one of my decisions. I ordered the Z51 chrome wheels, but with everything being blacked out against a shark gray exterior, would the machined Z51 wheels look better???? What do you guys think?

[Changed title as OP requested.]

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm not anti chrome but the GM chrome wheels are a rip off. The best option, IMHO, is to get the stock Z51 wheels and have them refinished to whatever final look you are after. You save money compared to the GM price and you get the exact look you desire.

These are my Hyper Silver Z51 rims. $450 all in, tire dismount, powder coat, tire remount and balance.

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1410956547.376656.jpg

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I agree with Mark. I just ordered a Z51 yesterday with the standard silver painted wheels. When the car is delivered, will have the wheels powder coated a gloss black. For your upgrade charges for chrome wheels, you could buy a set of Cray Brickyard machine face black forged wheels outright. Then you would have two sets of wheels for the price of upgrading to factory chrome wheels.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree. Get stock one's and take them to a good powder coater and get exactly what you want. If I go with the shark gray then I will get wheels to match. By the time the car gets here paint shops should have the mix code available. A close match is Anthracite

I'm not anti chrome but the GM chrome wheels are a rip off. The best option, IMHO, is to get the stock Z51 wheels and have them refinished to whatever final look you are after. You save money compared to the GM price and you get the exact look you desire.

These are my Hyper Silver Z51 rims. $450 all in, tire dismount, powder coat, tire remount and balance.

View attachment 12848

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never even thought of that. 2k can get a lot of different options after i get the car...

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a pic of the Shark Gray with QCC machined black wheels on the 2015 Pricing Released thread, and IMO it looks great. But, I really like the look on MJW's above.
Since you're doing a lot of carbon accents, the QCC with the black would look nice too, but that's an extra grand compared to 450.00 aftermarket option suggestion.
Tough call, personally I believe either one would look better than the chrome.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So i ordered my '15 a couple of weeks ago (options are in my sig) and I'm not sure of my decision. Well, just one of my decisions. I ordered the Z51 chrome wheels, but with everything being blacked out against a shark gray exterior, would the machined Z51 wheels look better???? What do you guys think?

This is what I did after a discussion and recommendation from a trusted forum member. I ordered the base car with the base 18-19 inch wheels/run flat tires. Then I ordered a set of quality aftermarket 19-20" polished/machined wheels. There are numerous quality wheel vendors with the exact fitment for your car including z51 chrome/polished replicas. I had Michelin all season tires mounted, Road Force balanced , nitrogen filled, no tax and shipped free to my dealer from the wheel vendor. My original 18-19 wheel and tires will be stored at a local tire store and installed upon a days notice. You can store the wheel and tires wherever you want. Please keep in mind the Michelin's are not run flats. However they can be driven at temperatures below 40 degrees F and the ride quality IMO is superior. Also, I've witnessed a run flat tire split a wheel due to its dead weight upon hitting a pothole. So if you take a trip and are concerned about the run flat capabilities you an simply put on your run flat wheels and tires and go as long as the temp is above 35-40 degrees. I actually saved money over the z 51 package. You can include a spoiler, dealer or self mounted, in your savings. Crey has some excellent wheels. I also found that CARiD has a lot of good looking and reasonably priced wheels as do numerous vendors recommended by our forums sponsors. IMO GM wheels are over priced and lack the quality of many aftermarket wheels.
Good luck! Remember half the fun is in the hunt!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
This is what I did after a discussion and recommendation from a trusted forum member. I ordered the base car with the base 18-19 inch wheels/run flat tires. Then I ordered a set of quality aftermarket 19-20" polished/machined wheels. There are numerous quality wheel vendors with the exact fitment for your car including z51 chrome/polished replicas. I had Michelin all season tires mounted, Road Force balanced , nitrogen filled, no tax and shipped free to my dealer from the wheel vendor. My original 18-19 wheel and tires will be stored at a local tire store and installed upon a days notice. You can store the wheel and tires wherever you want. Please keep in mind the Michelin's are not run flats. However they can be driven at temperatures below 40 degrees F and the ride quality IMO is superior. Also, I've witnessed a run flat tire split a wheel due to its dead weight upon hitting a pothole. So if you take a trip and are concerned about the run flat capabilities you an simply put on your run flat wheels and tires and go as long as the temp is above 35-40 degrees. I actually saved money over the z 51 package. You can include a spoiler, dealer or self mounted, in your savings. Crey has some excellent wheels. I also found that carid.com has a lot of good looking and reasonably priced wheels as do numerous vendors recommended by our forums sponsors. IMO GM wheels are over priced and lack the quality of many aftermarket wheels.
Good luck! Remember half the fun is in the hunt!
You're welcome, roc....LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got the Z51 wheels painted black from
the factory. Love them they real shine.
Easier to maintain that chrome that I had
on my Grand Sport. Buddy had a Cyber Gray
and was thinking of powder coating the stock
Z51 wheels. He was advised the power coating
is not good for the metal integrity. He had his
painted with high temp paint. They look
great.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I got the Z51 wheels painted black from
the factory. Love them they real shine.
Easier to maintain that chrome that I had
on my Grand Sport. Buddy had a Cyber Gray
and was thinking of powder coating the stock
Z51 wheels. He was advised the power coating
is not good for the metal integrity. He had his
painted with high temp paint. They look
great.
Okay, I had never heard that before. Why did someone advise your buddy that powder coating is bad for the "metal integrity" of a wheel? I don't see how the relatively low temperatures used for a powder coat could hurt either a cast or forged wheel.

What is the worst that could happen? Cause the wheel to not be perfectly balanced and need a weight or two added?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yelp. Mark had a very impressive, multi-stage powder coat done.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The only thing I could see that could possibly be harmful is solvents used to take old paint off, and alloy should not dissolve in the paint solvents. Powder coating of wheels is done for commercial applications as well as personal vehicles. Here is the web page of a commercial vehicle refinisher in my area.

Wheel & Rim Refinishing | Pete's Tire Barns

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a lot of good advice that i have to think about. $2k is def a lot for the chrome Z51 wheels, but i've never been one to get wheels after i've bought a car, more so for the inconvenience and that i'd rather get a dozen other mods before wheels. So maybe adding it to the total price of the car is better, or go with the machine face... Im still up in the air with all options, but I'm still at 1100 and prob will be for a while so i don't want to rush it...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The shop I used powder coats OEM wheels for Honda and Toyota, thousands a day. However, applying powder coat to wheels is not the same process as powder coating your lawn furniture. I suppose a generic coater using a small oven who doesn't understand metallurgy could possibly damage a wheel but that's a stretch. OTOH, if the guy doing the work doesn't recommend it that's a clear sign you need to find another shop.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1411835797.959373.jpg

I love the machined wheels on mine, their the best of both worlds. They complement the black accents on the car but have a nice shine to them as well.

Reactions: Razorpig and V1 VR
1 - 19 of 19 Posts