Stingray Corvette Forum banner

This is what it looks like when you pull up too close to the curb

6K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Vetehead 
#1 ·
Just pulled into a parking spot to meet my wife for lunch. Pulled up too close to the freaking curb and now my bumper cover has a rash. Made me sick!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
99.9% of the time I stay a good foot away from the curb. It only takes 0.1% of the time to screw up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

#3 ·
You're not the Lone Ranger there! I'll bet Glen has a quick fix for that. I'm all too familiar with that headache.

#4 ·
I know I can fix it...just irritated with myself right now. Ugh

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

#6 ·
Good idea

#7 ·
#19 ·
Sorry Jag! Knowing you, when fixed, will be perfect, and only this forum trip will tell the tale.

Solution, glen e's Curb Alert DIY!

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-how-s-guides/3524-curb-alert-system-diy.html

This is the first mod I will be doing on our Z06. Can one imagine the repair bills on a visible carbon fiber Z06 splitter.

This was also my first mod after a week of having my C7. It was a relatively easy process if you see the video and tag the heater fuse in the engine compartment.

Sorry about the curb rash! It looks awful but I know you will heal the baby soon.

Cheers

#8 ·
Got more of it than I thought at first...

Attachments

#10 ·
That's the last time I do this. Backing in from now on.

#11 ·
That sucks! The stingray nose usually clears most parking stops but I pulled up too far on a non standard sized stop and it rubbed the plastic skid plate but no paint damage gladly! Lesson learned at 300 miles. Parking lots are a nightmare for me. If a place such as restaraunt or store doesnt have a wide open parking lot with plenty of room I just wont eat or shop there. Something I have to factor in everytime i go somewhere

#12 ·
That is the Exact reason the Curb Alert was my VERY FIRST mod! I did the same thing on my 2004 Spyder on the way home from picking it up from the dealership. Made a quick stop at a store and OUCH! Learned my lesson and decided it would not happen with the Vette. Curb Alert is CHEAP insurance.

#13 ·
Yep, adding curb alert just for insurance.

Reactions: greggshere
#15 ·
The bottom line is that I need to be sure to stay at least a foot back 100% of the time and not 99.9% of the time. lol

#17 ·
Definitely do NOT want that happening. What vendor has the best price/product?

#20 ·
Thanks, Glen!

#21 ·
Sometimes we forget that these cars are thngs. Yes, things of beauty to us, but they are things and things can be fixed as good as new. Sorry it happened to your baby, but it will be good as new and we won't tell anyone. What's said on the forum stays on the forum.

Reactions: stingraypassenger
#22 ·
Yes, they are just things, and money can fix things and buy us new things. :)

#23 ·
I pulled into a spot once. That was enough for me. I always back in. I get to see my custom license plate and use the snazzy camera. I even use the camera in my garage when I stop before I close the garage door. Just throw it in reverse for a sec and I'm sure in far enough. Sorry for your unfortunate circumstance. ?

Reactions: jagamajajaran
#24 ·
Yowzer what a booboo. I did the same with my ZR1 I had a bit of an excuse as they were ridiculously close to the ground. So far so good with the 2014 StingR. One has to be totally alert when driving these babies. If it isn't other drivers on the road it is ourselves. Hey, consider it a lesson learned and you will be fine. STUNG............

#26 ·
Hey! How was your day!?

#29 ·
Jeremy, is this your first battle scar with your masterpiece? The way you and glen work on your C7's, you will have it squared away in no time. Keep us posted on how you fix it, I'm sure we will have a few members with curb rash in the future.

SF
Rick

Reactions: jagamajajaran
#30 ·
Yes, the first real battle scar. I have a couple of rock chips, but those are going to happen and out of my immediate control. I try not to follow anyone too closely, but sometimes on a two lane highway the guy going the other way throws a rock that hits you. This battle scar was my fault, and that's the part that irritates me the most.

#32 ·
Jeremy, scrape and all you still have the nicest c 7 on both forums:cool:....Do yourself a favor being you are already an expert in taking the cover off, take the the cover off again remove the z06 grill( and lock it in a safe):rolleyes: remove side marker lights have a good shop just prep and do a blow in ....blend into the bumper only and re clear the whole bumper.....perfect good as new....DONT paint the whole bumper for that little scrape because you will get involved with a whole lot more blending to get the color perfect!!......Trust me I know from experience week 2 for me:mad: Just what I did. Perfect and mine was worse caught the spear too!! Worse things could happen my freind:).

Ron

#34 ·
Ron,

My paint guy told me to take the cover off and bring it by and he'd take care of it for me. He's a great guy!

Reactions: Vetehead
#33 ·
Chip,You wont because true Corvette enthusiast hang in. A NCRS buddy of mine defines Corvette owners as fitting just two classifications. 1) The owner who wears the Corvette as jewelry is one and 2) the other is a true Corvette enthusiast and/or knows the details of the car and loves/lives/shares in the Hobby. I can generally tell which classification of the two that best describes the owners that I meet.. cutnout aka Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.