Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just received my Stingray, and I noticed that the engine makes a ticking noise. Is that normal? I'm assuming that pushrod engines make more mechanical noises.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only hear it when idling. Not worried at the moment if it's a noise you all hear as well.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Very normal, I get it on the 2014 Silverado and it's annoying..... BTW, it has nothing to do with the pushrods, as Glen said it the Direct Injection coupled with the composite intakes and valve covers that do little to muffle the sound.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'm new to direct injection engines, so I'm not familiar with the noises they make. Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mine has a ticking sound but I didn't think it was the injectors because it's louder sometime then others and it's annoyingly loud sometimes. I did have the dealer look at it had they said everything was fine.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
For you guys with ticking sounds, why not record a video up close and personal with the hood open, and post a link to it so others can hear it? Besides, I am sure a lot of us will not get tired of hearing that engine. :)

By the way, my wife's direct injection engine makes a funny noise at idle, but it goes away when you increase the RPMs. Apparently, this is completely normal for these new direct injection engines.

Anyway, like I said, some of you guys should post some up close and personal videos with the engine. Those of us still waiting on our orders will thank you. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
For you guys with ticking sounds, why not record a video up close and personal with the hood open, and post a link to it so others can hear it? Besides, I am sure a lot of us will not get tired of hearing that engine. :)

By the way, my wife's direct injection engine makes a funny noise at idle, but it goes away when you increase the RPMs. Apparently, this is completely normal for these new direct injection engines.

Anyway, like I said, some of you guys should post some up close and personal videos with the engine. Those of us still waiting on our orders will thank you. :)
Good idea and I will once I get my C7 back in about another month :-(

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've started getting this, apparently normal(?), tick. I do not think I had it until I'd made my road trip west in early June. It almost sounds like an electrical arc... what I'd imagine the fuel injection 'tick' all the above were talking about. But I'm most surprised that it just showed up... if it's normal, shouldn't it have been making the noise all along? Seems like I hear it at startup, then primarily between 1500 and 2000 rpm, in each gear at light load (when it's otherwise quiet). Bad part - I think it 'cheapens' the sound of the car... like it's got some sort of mechanical 'issue'.

Will mention to dealer when I get a chance

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Al, I am surprised you did not hear it the whole time you had he car, and that it only started during your long trip.

Maybe it is not the same as what other people are hearing. Would you care to post an audio clip?

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Al, on second thought, maybe your belt tensioner is starting to go bad. Check that out with the hood raised and see if it is coming from the front left of the car. If so, do you have any leaks yet? Have it checked out.

Reactions: autoxal

·
Registered
10,418 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Al, on second thought, maybe your belt tensioner is starting to go bad. Check that out with the hood raised and see if it is coming from the front left of the car. If so, do you have any leaks yet? Have it checked out.
Thanks for the suggestions... have not listened under the hood, will see if that makes it easier to identify where it's coming from. Have not seen any leaks. At worst, will check with dealer at a later date... unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Al / all I have heard several descriptions of what a failed / failing belt tensioner sounds like, but it is not really helpful. An auto clip would be. As the tensioner reaches the end of its life, in most cases it is leaking / slinging Hyd. oil under the car and in the engine bay. Here is what we know about the issue:http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-tsb-recalls/3463-failed-failing-serpentine-belt-tensioner-pip-5185-updated-pip5185a.html
Thanks Chip... was busy today, so haven't even had a chance to look under the hood. Will try to capture an audio clip (with Sammy S4). Not sure how well it might stand out with other background noise (and recording quality)... not even sure if I can do this, have never tried before(?).

Wonder if they're replacing 'in kind' or have a modified part? I did feel like I was hearing/feeling the transition V8 to V4 to V8 a little more than expected (with all the engineering write-up about efforts to minimize this) during my 4000 mile trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts