Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who are owners of early C7 production years, especially 2014, should be considering replacing your OEM tires if you haven't done so as yet. Regardless of how much tread you have left, if your tires are the original Michelin tires, and it is a 2014, your tires are close to seven years old (or more). Check the last four digits of the DOT code on your tires. The first two represent the week of manufacture, and the last two, the year.

GM, as most OEMs, along with tire manufacturers recommend replacing your mounted tires after 6 years, because of deterioration to the rubber, loss of flexibility, lower traction, etc.

I just replaced RedHots original Michelins with new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ run flats. The ones I took off looked pretty darn good, had even tread wear across the face, etc. That in spite of the fact, that I never had the need for her alignment to be redone after picking her up at NCM. However, I am a firm believer in not pushing my luck with high performance tires (or actually any tires) once they age out. For those interested, the total out the door cost including mounting, high speed balancing, new seal kits on the TPMs, and 5 year road hazard coverage and tax was $1180.63

·
Registered
965 Posts
Probably prudent advice. If i can ask, How many miles ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably prudent advice. If i can ask, How many miles ?

Thanks. RedHot has 21k mostly enthusiastically driven miles on her (I spread my driving over several cars).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks. RedHot has under 25k mostly enthusiastically driven miles on her (I spread my driving over several cars).
Been weighing my options on replacing tires on my 2015 but only have about 13K miles. Having been locked down since Feb i just took the C7 out for the first time in about 3.5 months. Oil % showed 35% since last oil service in October. Less than 1000 miles since October 2019..

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just replaced my tires last month. Also put Michelin A/S 3+ZPs on in place of the original Pilot Sports. While I have not had much opportunity to drive the car due to weather and waiting for some new lift cables (now replaced), I like the feel of the new A/S 3s and they are definitely quieter that the older tires. About 20,000 miles and four years on the old ones. Every 6 months or so I carefully measure tire tread depth and have had consistent wear across all four tires. Finally was down to mostly 5/32 with on or two 4/32s so I decided to replace them. I was encouraged to do so quickly once I took the car off the lift for the first time in April because I happened to notice that the right rear, despite my tread depth measurements, was showing cords on the inside edge of the tire. I bought tires on Tire Rack and had them shipped to a local Firestone dealer who had the Hunter Revolution tire changer machine along with the Road Force Elite balancer. They said that our rather fragile wheels were fine on the left side but slightly out of round on the right, although they were able to balance them out just fine. So I may have hit something enough to do that and maybe alter the rear alignment. The toe was fairly far out when I last had it checked about a year ago but (barely) within factory specs. Will get a new alignment sometime soon if I can find a dealer with a digital angle meter. And Jeff, I am amazed at the cost you cited for your tires. Great bargain. Mine cost $1,438 at Tire Rack (including Road Hazard) with $124 for mounting and balancing at the Firestone dealer, for a total of $1,562. Perhaps different tires? Mine were the stock staggered 19" ones for the Z06.--Bob

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, yes, different tires. You have a Z06 and mine is a non-Z51 (with staggered). I also considered TireRack/Firestone, but Costco's pricing was better, My local Costco know and have done Stingrays, and did a great job. They have also done my Cadillac in the past, and my Volvo at the same time I had Redhot done. Interestingly, they did indicate that the Volvo should have an alignment.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes Costco is always a great deal and in my experience they do good work and stand behind it. I have done my BMWs there as well as my C4 ZR-1s. But they won't do the C7 Z06s because the tires are just too difficult to put on. At least they won't at my Costco. While I have never had a balance problem with Costco, they also do not have a Road Force balancer. To minimize the risk of wheel damage and to make sure they were done right I researched who locally had a Hunter Revolution Tire changer (had to contact Hunter) which requires very little intervention by the tire tech and is fairly quick. The local Firestone dealer had one. I watched the tech do one tire and it was impressive. They also balanced the tires on a Road Force Elite balancer. It was not easy to find one as the Revolution is a $30k machine. Interestingly, my local BMW dealer (where I worked for 7 years) has both machines but I couldn't talk my friend the service manager into doing the Corvette. They were more comfortable with BMWs and didn't want to take a risk on the low slung Corvette. --Bob

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, whenever you get new tires or simply remove your wheels (for example, to clean the barrels) be sure that you recheck your lug nuts to ensure they are properly tightened to the 100 pound feet setting after you drive on them for a day or two. To my knowledge the 100 lb ft setting has remained consistent for all C7s. It is different for C8s, where 140 lb ft is the recommendation. Once you check the settings with your torque wrench, remember to set the wrench back to zero to keep the tension off the mechanism until the next time you use it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you could, ask Paul Walker about driving on old tires mounted on a supercar. (you can't, it killed him... and he was the passenger)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Jeff, I was curious why the nut size and torque requirements changed on the C8, so I posed the question on the "Ask Tadge" section of the CF (I go by ZR1Bob over there). --Bob:

Tadge answered:
Thanks for the question ZR1Bob. Our move to a mid-engine architecture shifted mass rearward so that the Corvette's weight distribution is 40F/60R. We take advantage of that traction with more torque multiplication through our new DCT for improved acceleration. The wheel stud size, pattern, and stud count is based on the needed wheel attachment clamp load to account for vehicle axle load, tire grip and other loads that the wheel-to-bearing joint must endure. These calculations drove us to the M14 wheel stud size for the rear axle. Many generations of Corvettes have used 5 studs on a 4.75 inch diameter bolt circle. It was a very standard pattern for the industry. For this generation we are moving to the metric standard of 5 x 120 mm. This change has nothing to do with the loads, in fact they are very similar patterns. So much so, that some people may try to use wheels designed for one pattern on a bearing with the other. That is very ill-advised. I'm glad this question has been asked because we need to let people know about the potential mismatch problem.

Although not needed for loads, we elected to use the same design on the front axle to keep a common lug nut, similar bearing design, and aesthetics.

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bob. Appreciate your posting Tadge's response. 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those of us who are owners of early C7 production years, especially 2014, should be considering replacing your OEM tires if you haven't done so as yet. Regardless of how much tread you have left, if your tires are the original Michelin tires, and it is a 2014, your tires are close to seven years old (or more). Check the last four digits of the DOT code on your tires. The first two represent the week of manufacture, and the last two, the year.

GM, as most OEMs, along with tire manufacturers recommend replacing your mounted tires after 6 years, because of deterioration to the rubber, loss of flexibility, lower traction, etc.

I just replaced RedHots original Michelins with new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ run flats. The ones I took off looked pretty darn good, had even tread wear across the face, etc. That in spite of the fact, that I never had the need for her alignment to be redone after picking her up at NCM. However, I am a firm believer in not pushing my luck with high performance tires (or actually any tires) once they age out. For those interested, the total out the door cost including mounting, high speed balancing, new seal kits on the TPMs, and 5 year road hazard coverage and tax was $1180.63
I agree. Just replaced mine on 2014 2LT 7M at 19K. Also went with the Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 0 pressure. The ride is a little smoother and the wheel hop when turning at low speed is gone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im at 14k on my 15' Z06 but have had both rear's replaced under warranty (damage on the sidewall's as well as a bent rim replaced under that same extended warranty) -
I'm planning on replacing the front 2 this fall

·
Registered
16 Posts

Replace 2014 OEM tires? I bought my 2015 z51 2 years ago with 5400 miles on it and now I have 32,000. Why the hell do people buy cars that they don't drive?

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replace 2014 OEM tires? I bought my 2015 z51 2 years ago with 5400 miles on it and now I have 32,000. Why the hell do people buy cars that they don't drive?
Please keep your posts relevant to the thread topic. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the reminder. My tires are approaching their 7th anniversary. Don’t want to tempt fate. Went online to Costco and ordered a set of A/S 3+ for my 2014 Z51. Price with Michelin rebate was $1,192. Very reasonable price I thought.

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff, thanks for the reminder. My tires are approaching their 7th anniversary. Don’t want to tempt fate. Went online to Costco and ordered a set of A/S 3+ for my 2014 Z51. Price with Michelin rebate was $1,192. Very reasonable price I thought.
I agree, that's why I went with them as well. Extremely happy with the job they did.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yes all tires have a life expectancy, but like humans some live longer than others. I have a 2014+with 15K miles, never been in rain, garaged, on a GM C7 charger and my rear tires have not been replaced yet. I did the front and did not want run flats. I never have exceeded 80 MPH and had to replace the front tires when I clipped the edge of a 2x4 in the road as I was at a speed of 35 MPH. I do not intend to replace the rear tires at this time, but will most likely when I replace the original battery. B T W I know my Limerock/ Kalahari LT3 coupe Is rare, but does anyone know how rare. It is automatic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts