Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to “Tune UP” Your Tunes

One thing that I've been too busy (driving) to do over the Summer, but have had the time to do over the Winter, was to clean up my audio files.

If you’re like me, you have a large collection of music files, gathered over many years. These files may have come from many different sources and file types (your C7 recognizes MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, AIFF and 3GPP files). When played on my PC or tablet (and streamed via Bluetooth to my home stereo) everything worked great.

But…

When these same music files are placed on a USB and dropped into the C7 some interesting things can happen. The C7 allows you to list music by Artist, album, song, genre, and composer. Here’s one example I encountered, based on a number of favorite Led Zeppelin tunes I had on a stick when the following Infotainment options were used:

• List by Artist: Three artists were listed – Led Zeppelin, LED ZEPPELIN, and Led Zep
  • List by Album: Only one album was listed – Houses of the Holy, although songs from three albums were present (and some songs from HOH, which were on the USB, were not listed under this album’s song files)
  • List by Song: All songs were listed, including the "missing" songs that were not listed in the HOH album

At this point, you might think the C7 Infotainment system is crap, or maybe you blame the Gracenote system that organizes your music and allows voice recognition for music selection.
Not so fast.
All music files have what are commonly called tags. These are things like the name of the song, the artist, album, the artwork (typically cover art), etc. Depending on the source of your music files there may be no tags present at all - just the filename (e.g., song.mp3).

Fortunately, it’s easy to correct this situation and take full advantage of your Infotainment system capabilities. There are a number of freeware apps that can allow you to update and organize the music tags. I've been using the program Tag&Rename (downloaded from CNET). Here’s an example of the tag info from an old collection of songs off of Van Halen’s first album:
vh.JPG
When the Gracenote system tries to interpret these files, you’ll find that your C7 indicates that:
  • Two artists are listed for two songs - Van Halen and VH, and no artist is listed for the other two songs
  • Two albums are listed – Van Halen and Halen, and two songs aren't associated to any album
  • The title of Eruption will be listed by the Infotainment system as Track2.
  • Only one of the songs, Runnin’ with the Devil, will display the album art (the other three files have no art tagged to them)

It’s easy to correct all these issues. Select all the songs and then right click on them. Select “Edit Tag in Selected Files”:

Now you can edit all of the fields to correct the information. You can also edit individual song tags, one at a time if needed. Click on the artist box and type in Van Halen. Click on the album art box to apply the art to all songs. If you don’t have the cover art (you can actually use any picture you want – of reasonable size) you can click on the “Earth” icon to launch a browser page with automatic keywords for the album art you need. I typically select jpegs that are 500x500 in size.
vh3.JPG
vh5.JPG

Now, you’re good to go. All artist info, albums and songs will be listed correctly and you can correctly manually or voice search on music by artist, album and song title. All songs will also display the album art when they are playing. Do you want to get creative? Customize the Genre and Composer fields to create other types of manual and voice-searchable lists.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I received some questions on how to use Tag&Rename. Here are some additional basic instructions that should cover 95% of your needs. There are also some instructional videos on youTube.

After installing Tag&Rename:

1. Insert your music USB stick (or SD card) into your computer. My stick (Drive K) has all my songs in a folder called "Music", with subfolders named by artist. The artist folders contain songs or album folders.
2. Right click on the song or folder of interest, and select Open in Tag&Rename.
t&r1.jpg
t&r2.JPG
3. Select the song(s) of interest and right click. Chose Edit File Tag or Edit Tags in Selected Files (for multiple files) - this will open the edit dialogue. The C7 recognizes the Artist, Album. Song, Composer and Genre fields.
t&r3.jpg
t&r4.JPG
4. Edit the fields as needed. If you need to add album art, select the "Earth" icon to launch a browser search for album art (around 500x500 or less is all you need for resolution - big pics may not display in your C7), and save the pic as a JPG file onto your computer. Then, Add the file to your music. Finally, select Save to save your edits.

Got more question? PM me or post them here.

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
Thanks Mobius for continuing to share your insight into this and educating us. Much appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you Mobius. :D
That is super help. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It is very much appreciated.
I will give it a try in the next day or two.
Robert

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank You Again Mobius

Well it has been longer than a few days but I purchased Tag & Rename like I said I would at the end of August. I love that software. The features are awesome. You can do a lot of the same thing with iTunes, VLC and some other programs but not as easily and full featured. I reorganized my sub-substantial music collection and loaded it all into my 2015 Z51 media player. The thing I like best are the playlists. Instead of selecting by album or even by song, I can play a precomputed playlist with only the songs I like best and mix the sources between albums or whatever. So at the risk of being redundant- THANK YOU MOBIUS from a pretty much unsophisticated audio user.;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mobius:

I have a variation on the problem you discussed here which stem from iTunes correctly identifying tracks within a multi-disc set as being track 1, disc 1, track 1, disc 2, etc.: my tags are correct, and the tracks within individual albums display correctly on the Infotainment system, but they are in the wrong order. They display and play correctly on my PC (both through iTunes and Windows Media Player) but the infotainment system mixes them up in album view.

For example, in the Vette the album will play in order of track number, all track one's first (played in alphabetical order), then the track 2's, etc.

I'm looking for a way to fix this, and prevent it from happening going forward, reorganizing through iTunes, because doing this through tag & rename, is going to take me a long time as I have a lot of concert discs which are organized by iTunes this way!

Thanks for any insight you might offer!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for any insight you might offer!
Please PM (or post) an image of a typical album listing of songs from your Windows PC (Windows File Explorer would be best, with a detail view listing of the songs in the album directory - Name, #, Title, Album, Type, Size), and the same album listing of songs (or partial listing - whatever is visible on the car's display) from the Infotainment display.

This should give us the clues we need to identify the root cause issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Mobius!

The culprit is definitely the combination of iTunes/Gracenotes ordering system and the Chevy Infotainment software, no other media player has trouble deciphering multiple disc albums, only my Vette does.

Attached are the screenshots you wanted, the top of the album order in the car, how the usb stick shows in windows explorer and then how the tracks are ordered in iTunes. The problem definitely is the ordering of tracks by disc (i.e. track 1, disc 1, track 1, disc 2, etc.) So in this example, the Infotainment system sees No Surrender as track 1, because it is the first instance of track 1 and "N"o comes before "T"he Price You Pay (which is really the first track, I was at that show...)

I confirmed the issue by manually changing an album with the same problem in Itunes, changing the track numbers to 1-33 sequentially and making them all disc 1, and VOILA, it plays in order on the Vette. The problem is that requires editing each track, one by one, across 150+ albums. That's what i'm trying to avoid

Thanks again for interest and assistance!

itunes.jpg windows explorer.jpg IMG_2657.JPG

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Well, now we know what "bruce" in your username means. I guess you really are a fan. :)

Reactions: l.i. bruce fan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, now we know what "bruce" in your username means. I guess you really are a fan. :)
I thought it was fairly obvious, and nobody ever asked...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The problem definitely is the ordering of tracks by disc (i.e. track 1, disc 1, track 1, disc 2, etc.) So in this example, the Infotainment system sees No Surrender as track 1, because it is the first instance of track 1 and "N"o comes before "T"he Price You Pay (which is really the first track, I was at that show...)

I confirmed the issue by manually changing an album with the same problem in Itunes, changing the track numbers to 1-33 sequentially and making them all disc 1, and VOILA, it plays in order on the Vette. The problem is that requires editing each track, one by one, across 150+ albums.
It looks like you diagnosed the issue, that the "Disc" field/tag is not available for use in the C7. In the case of multi-disc albums, the Infotainment system appears to interpret all songs as from a single album and single disc (since all songs share an identical album name tag for all three discs). This explains why the #1 songs are all listed first, and sorted in alphabetical order, followed by the three #2 songs, etc.

This should only be an issue with multi-disc compilations. For the majority of albums, which are not multi-disc, as long as the album tag is present with the proper album name then the C7 should recognize the songs correctly for each specific album of a given artist.

THE FIX
There are two options that come to mind, the first of which you've already confirmed will work (to renumber the songs, so that the recurring #1 songs, #2 songs, etc. each receive a unique number). So when you want to play the album "The Boss Live" all songs will be listed and will play in the correct sequence, but you'll not be able to have the C7 go to Disc2 directly, although it will be easy to skip forward by song to quickly access the Disc2 songs.

The other option would be to append the album field with the correct disc number. For example, instead of having a single album title of "The Boss Live" for all songs, you could append the album field to create three unique album references "The Boss Live - Disc1", "The Boss Live - Disc2" and “The Boss Live- Disc3".

The option you choose will depend on how you prefer to listen to the music. If you have a favorite live disc and use voice commands, then the voice command "Play album 'The Boss Live - Disc1" will immediately play the songs identified by that album title, and in the proper sequence.

Tip: Many tags, including album name, can be edited by right-clicking on the song in file explorer and selecting properties. Then go to the details tab. If you want to edit tags for multiple songs at once, then Tag&Rename or a similar program will save a lot of time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you Mobius! Breaking the sets up into Disc 1, 2, 3 etc. might be a less painful way to deal with this! I thank you for thinking this through with me. When Chevy Infotainment Support calls me back (don't worry, I am not holding my breath) maybe I (armed with your insight can edumacate them a bit - they could not even understand the problem).

Thanks again, and if anything else comes to mind, please let me know!

This is what's truly great about this forum!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Maybe you can help me. My files look like your example screen shots with mostly the correct info in the right columns. But in the car I can't see folders or any of the information. It just randomly shows a track no matter SD or USB memory. I can't select anything?

After looking at the manual I checked my files and there are some formats that are not supported. So I will test a jump drive and SD tomorrow with just one album on it and see! Considering I have tried 4-5 jump drives and SD cards I am thinking I am doing something else wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
*******- I went thru a period like you are doing now. Mobius helped me. The only formats I have found that work in the C7 are: songs = .mp3 and playlists = .m3u.
Get a program called Tag&Rename free off of the web, it will help you immensely once you take the short time to learn it well.
I keep me songs in several folders, all .mp3, and put them all in a master folder that I copy to the SD chip. I keep the .m3u playlists in another folder that I also load to the SD.
The Tag&Rename will help you with artwork and creating playlists but won't read a completed playlist. Use Notebook or Word if you have a MS computer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts