Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tinted their tail lights/side markers? If so, what did you use, vht nightshades, rustoleum, etc...?

Did you clear coat as well?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Not popular, but realize if you are tinted dark and illegal, and a person hits you in the rear, it will be your fault, but more importantly, you are open to civil suits for manufactured health problems...you might win, but legal costs will be yours...in short, don't do it....

Cops have forums too, read what a few say:

Tinted Tail lights Texas

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
Not popular, but realize if you are tinted dark and illegal, and a person hits you in the rear, it will be your fault, but more importantly, you are open to civil suits for manufactured health problems...you might win, but legal costs will be yours...in short, don't do it....

Cops have forums too, read what a few say:

Tinted Tail lights Texas
Thanks for posting that link Glen. Even though I can understand the desire to tailor one's car and the cool factor of darkened taillights, I have always wondered why one would want to potentially reduce the visibility of your car to a following car. Those statements of the police are pretty direct.

Reactions: Catbert

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I had tinted tails....until my tint shop stopped doing them, and I talked to a lawyer at a party one night...it is the ONLY mod I would never do....

Of course, this is very unpopular position, esp if you are under 35 ( and never been sued) LOL....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had tinted tails....until my tint shop stopped doing them, and I talked to a lawyer at a party one night...it is the ONLY mod I would never do....

Of course, this is very unpopular position, esp if you are under 35 ( and never been sued) LOL....

Thanks for the insight Glen. After reading your comment and reviewing the cop forum, I spoke with a Dallas police officer and he confirmed the "at discretion" comment that a lot of the forum officers relayed. He also confirmed that it is illegal to have the tail lights altered that reduce their effectiveness.

This got me to wondering about what the word "alter" means. Does it mean a portion or the entire assembly? Well, I could not find a definitive answer to that question. No even when reading the section on "Blackouts" via the Texas DPS website which states:

"Any device that impairs the required effectiveness of headlamps, tail lamps, reflectors, etc is prohibited. The lights, both front and rear, are made by the manufacturer to meet this safety standard. An alternate or additional material, particularly something dark, would impair its effectiveness. Additional information on lighting can be found in the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 547, Subchapters D & E."

The reason I ask this is because when I saw the "u" shaped tails of the BMW i8, it brought to mind a partially tinted C7 tail.

So, this lead to further research. I reviewed the commentary of the guy who designed the tail lights for the C7 (Roger Schaefer).

Now, per his team's design specs, that the C7 tails have a vertical "ule" shaped portion and a slanted portion that cantilevers up to the vertical reverse and turn indicator lens sections to form a prism shaped housing. The housing is designed such that the majority of the light is funneled via the reflective portions of the cantilevered portion. It makes sense (at least from an optics perspective) that if only the cantilevered portion is tinted (however slightly) that the reflective optics of the cantilevered section would change (i.e., increase) thereby directing more light to the vertical "ule" portions. This would increase the brightness of that section.

Hence, albeit a change of the light "signature" there is no change in the amount visible light. Thus, no violation of the effectiveness of the visible light.

I know that was a bit much just to discuss tinting the tails, but I thought it would be a cool mod to tint part of the lens. I also wanted to stay within the law of the land.

I am still thinking over this one.

PS. I stopped a state trooper and asked about the partial alter thing. He said that he wouldn't cite a driver for changing the signature of the light; just the opacity of the entire lens that reduced the effectiveness beyond a certain distance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spraying them is a little permanent and youre vehicle will not pass inspection here in Texas. There are films out there like paint protection film I have installed before that you can get in different levels of tint. I had them on my Jeep SRT-8 until I went in for inspection and had to peel them off to pass. They come off easily and you can always apply more.

Color Lamin-x Film Rolls

I don't recommend their paint protection film but their tinted film for tail lights works very well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Which is interesting because if you look at the new taillights for the Z06 you would say they are tinted.

The smoked taillights happened because someone ran out of red tape

Not the bureaucracy-causing kind, but the actual red-hued, adhesive-backed stuff. When the designers were mocking up the car’s details on the clay model, they ran out of red Dynoc. They subbed in gray instead, and when design director Tom Peters saw it, he asked the lighting people if they could make the smoke-gray lenses happen. The answer, obviously: Yes. LED bulbs provide the color when illuminated.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure how this is going to fly with the DOT. I though they had to REFLECT red from a certain distance, even when you are not pressing your brake.

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure how this is going to fly with the DOT. I though they had to REFLECT red from a certain distance, even when you are not pressing your brake.
My understanding- completely independent from whether you like tinted or altered tail lights or not- is that only the OEM supplied DOT approved assemblies assure you are in compliance with state regulated inspections and or traffic stop. Obviously a number of individuals do this and have been doing this to their cars for years regardless of regs. My personal preference is always to have the absolute best visibility to any car approaching from the rear. :cool:

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
My understanding- completely independent from whether you like tinted or altered tail lights or not- is that only the OEM supplied DOT approved assemblies assure you are in compliance with state regulated inspections and or traffic stop. Obviously a number of individuals do this and have been doing this to their cars for years regardless of regs. My personal preference is always to have the absolute best visibility to any car approaching from the rear. :cool:
I agree on every aspect, Jeff.

My question is how can Corvette get DOT approval on the Z06 tail lights if they do not reflect red when the brakes are not in use?

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
I agree on every aspect, Jeff.

My question is how can Corvette get DOT approval on the Z06 tail lights if they do not reflect red when the brakes are not in use?
Don't know, may have to wait until actual production Z06s are available.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

I REALLY want to tint my tails....as everything else in my car is darkened or blacked out....but I won't , as I've seen what lawyers can do to make their point. You can win the case and lose a lot outta your bank account when it's over, defending yourself against the guy that hit you and now claims he can't offer his spouse a great love life....LOL....but it's true.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ordered my tint spray, Probably do it in a few days, Alysha, Your car looks BAD A$$.... Glad I ordered the tint spray and clear coat. I also orderd the black out grille kit, but those are hard to install perfectly,

·
Registered
489 Posts
I ordered my tint spray, Probably do it in a few days, Alysha, Your car looks BAD A$$.... Glad I ordered the tint spray and clear coat. I also orderd the black out grille kit, but those are hard to install perfectly,
What product are you using and where did you get it from

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So after doing some research people think that during the day with lights off the lens or the taillights must be red. It looks like the law says that when the lights are on they must be red in color and when the brakes are applied they must be a brighter red. It says this color red is done either by a red color lens with white/clear bulbs or clear lens with red bulbs. So for the Z06 I read they are using red bulbs unlike the Stingray that uses a red lens.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts