Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer called me putting together paperwork for sale, offered tire and wheel protection package, all hazards included, for $634/5 yrs, unlimited mileage. Is this reasonable? Considering I paid 2k for optional chrome wheels and one new tire is about 500 bucks, I am leaning towards yes, especially considering the crappy roads here in NJ.

Let me know if anyone found a cheaper program that you can get for new cars with original equipment please.

·
Registered
126 Posts
is that for the life of the tire? If that is not the case i just went to discount tires and they are warranting my tires for $167 for the life of the tire, if anything happens to the tire they will replace it. Hope this helped in some way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It could be, but like most "insurance," there's a lot of qualifiers. The finance guy at my dealership tried to sell me the same thing when I was filling out the loan paperwork. I asked to see the details and he wouldn't show me. He claimed he had to print out a final contract first or some other lame excuse. Instead he dropped the price to around $400 (so don't pay $600+). When I got the contract, it had way too many exclusions for me so I made him remove the coverage and redo it.

Make sure you read all the fine print and that you will be covered in your use cases and that the deductibles/max coverage amounts make sense compared to what they are asking you to pay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
again like i said why not just discount tires warranty them for $167? Explain to me if this would be a better deal or not, $167 seems to be a whole lot cheaper than $400 in my opinion for the same thing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll call back and get more details. He made it seem like wheels (rims) and tires were all included.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, the very expensive wheels are in theory covered as well.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
For the wheel coverage: does of only include severe damage like bent wheels, or does it also include scratches from curb rash? Read the fine print to know what you are not getting.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It does not include curb rash. Basically for it to kick in on either the wheel or tire, they have to not be holding air.

(Going from memory here, so make sure to read your own fine print...there is a lot of it).

·
Registered
126 Posts
if you have run flat tires then for them to not have any air in them means you were going a long way on a flat which most likely would not happen if your paying attention. Again sounds like a lot of money for not much coverage. Do as you will but as for me i would rather save my money and just get the protection plan at discount tires and if i have a problem don't wait for the tire to run completely flat or if you do have that problem pull over and call road side thats what its for. Maybe im missing something but i doubt anyone is going to cover your rims for your own neglect and other than that how are you going to mess them up, most likely a rock is not going to hit it but i guess there is always that 10% chance. just my 2 sence. Have a good day

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi ragtop I got the ultimate vehicle protection plus for 770.It covers tires,wheel,dent and ding,windshield repair,and roadside ass. thanks

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Anytime you buy this kind of insurance always look to you past history. How many wheels have been road damage? Curb rash is not covered. How many defective or road damage tires? Dents? Corvettes unlike metal body cars don't dent. Windshield? Car insurance usually covers this, etc. insurance more often than not is more about peace of mind. We each need to make our own decision whether extended warranties are worth it or not.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RedC7, I've had to replace two rims in the past 8 years and one tire. One rim was from hitting a large rock in the road I didn't see on account of sun glare, a rim on another car somehow got bent and I didn't even know it until new tires got balanced. The tire that was damanged was almost new, but a roofing nail somehow went through sidewall near tread, unfixable.

For the limited mileage I'll be driving this car, I'm leaning towards telling him to cancel this coverage. Besides, it's only good for first 5 years.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
And by no means am I telling folks not to get insurance but make sure you read the fine print as to what exactly is covered. You might also think about taking that same money you were going to pay for the insurance and hide it away somewhere so if on the rare chance you do damage a wheel or tire you'll have the money to fix it. Then on the other hand if you never use it then you may just end up putting it back into your pocket. :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already do an anticipated maintenance/repair fund, so that is what I'll do. I have a separate savings account just for car stuff (insurance, new tires, etc). I try to figure what my annual costs might be, divide by 12, then have that amount automatically transferred from checking to that savings account each month. Especially helpful having to pay annual insurance, which will be about 4700 when I add the C7 to the fleet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You might also think about taking that same money you were going to pay for the insurance and hide it away somewhere . :)
If you do that every time you are presented with an opportunity to buy an extended warranty on something it is overwhelmingly likely you will glad you did.

·
Registered
115 Posts
again like i said why not just discount tires warranty them for $167? Explain to me if this would be a better deal or not, $167 seems to be a whole lot cheaper than $400 in my opinion for the same thing.

Because it supposedly covers wheels and tires. I had to replace a tire with the discount tire warranty on one of my cars and the tire still cost me over $100. This was on a tire that was only on the car 6 months. I probably wouldn't buy a dealer offered tire/wheel warranty IF it didn't cover curb rash, as I've only had one bent wheel in over 35 years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up nail at 1000 miles. Took to dealer and he said to close to edge to repair. He put on new front tire. Did not check till got home. Was right brand and series but was 97y instead of 93y. One always has to be careful. Was not ZP or zero pressure tire. The non ZP has the higher load rating. Taking back tomorrow. I waited 5 hours to get the first tire brought over from distributor and put on. Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went to dealer today. They agreed wrong tire but GM does not have any of correct tires in parts system. Dealer said would get from another dealer Monday. I offered to pay for overnight shipment but dealer would not do. I asked if could get one shipped from Corvette plant. Dealer said no way. I pointed out that I had gotten Moto Guzzi motorcycle parts from Italy in 24 hours and thought GM should be able to do the same. No such luck. Guess GM cares more about reserving/keeping parts to build new cars than taking care of those of us who already gave them the cash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts