Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a nagging problem for about a month now (on a C7 LT3 convertible built in December and purchased in March) with the tire pressure monitor system. I get a tire pressure monitor fault indication on the display and find when I go to the tire pressure page that the right front tire is not indicating any value. It will work briefly if I have the dealership reset the system; sometimes until the next day, but no longer. So far, they have replaced the sensor three times, but the problem continues. The mechanic said GM tech tried to blame it on things I had plugged into USB ports (iPod, iPhone) but after the last reset, the problem returned even when I had nothing plugged into any USB port. I've left a couple of messages with the service advisor since my last visit (a week ago) asking him to try to get more info from GM about how to actually fix the problem, but he hasn't called back.

I would rather not even have a tire pressure monitor system than have one that sets off false alerts every time I drive the car, but I guess that's not an option.
TPMS_photo 1.JPG TPMS_photo 2.JPG
Does anyone else have a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had one on my C6 that frequently showed xx. I would let a little air out and refill the tire and the TPM would work. Happened about 3 or 4 times a year. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds like it the wireless controller is at fault for the signal/Freq the right front uses

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine did it on the right front 2 times since I picked it up in November-last time was a couple of months ago-always reset itself before I could get it in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You could try switching the front tires; they are not directional. I believe they automatically determine location.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Section 10-54 of the owners manual and forward maybe of some help. It explains that each sensor is unique and must be programmed to the TPMS. That section also talks about if the malfunction indicator flashes a certain way, it may be the TPMS itself that is malfunctioning, not the sensor.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a question. At 7500 miles I plan to rotate left to right side tires. Will the display know where the tire is now located? I hate these tire sensors. Never owned a car that they actually worked.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
rotation should not matter as far as an alert...but without a reprogramming, you'll need to remember the display will show left on right, and vice versa...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
rotation should not matter as far as an alert...but without a reprogramming, you'll need to remember the display will show left on right, and vice versa...
Are you sure about that? All the new vehicles I have owned since the 2010 model year will automatically assign the proper wheel to the display once it registers the new positions. This is done with unique codes in each sensor and proximity receivers placed at each wheel instead of the older way where all transponders talked back to once receiver.

I know my VW, Jeeps and 2014 Silverado never needed to be reprogrammed, they automatically learned the new positions within 5 miles of leaving the tire store.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. The service advisor has asked me to bring it back in tomorrow. GM has told him that there are (at least) two different kinds of sensor with the same part number, but that they are identifiable by their markings. They want to see if the replacement sensor they put in my car is the right one.

This is the first GM car I've owned since the 80's. It's annoying to have to keep taking a new car back to the dealer, but at least my issues have not been safety issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another update. The sensor was the right kind. At GM's suggestion, the dealership rotated the front wheels. No one expected this to solve the problem, but they wanted to see if the pressure not reported switched to the left front or remained on the right. The warning came back and it was still the right front pressure that was not reading. So it's not the sensor, but something in the reception system. I reported this to the service advisor and am waiting for the next suggestion from GM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The TPMS problem, no pressure indicated for right front wheel, kept recurring. Today the dealership changed the instrument panel cluster. So far things are working properly. I hope this issue is finally fixed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a question. At 7500 miles I plan to rotate left to right side tires. Will the display know where the tire is now located? I hate these tire sensors. Never owned a car that they actually worked.

Your going to rotate left and right Directional Tires??? Really.... You have done this before?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Your going to rotate left and right Directional Tires??? Really.... You have done this before?
They aren't directional, they are asymmetric. That means they have an outside and an inside so technically rotating them left to right is fine however, I have a hard time spinning a radial tire in the opposite direction but that's based on old habits learned when radial first started to become mainstream. The theory back then was the radial ply's take a set in the direction of travel and when you reversed their direction the belts would separate and cause all kinds of problems. I'm sure that's not the case these days.

However, in 40 years of driving I have never cross rotated a radial.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts