Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These problem has been discussed many times. The basic problem is with GM and what is called the Exermann (sp) angle.
I requested a repair thru local Chevy dealer. What I received was a note from GM stating "that's the way it is". The Corvette is a great car. However, GM isn't a great company. If they were this problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. Ed

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It’s the Ackerman effect and completely normal and harmless to the car. It can’t be repaired or removed. Non run flat tires do help a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
All Season tires will pretty much eliminate it, too. Search the forum for Ackermann and you'll find lots of information.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
These problem has been discussed many times. The basic problem is with GM and what is called the Exermann (sp) angle.
I requested a repair thru local Chevy dealer. What I received was a note from GM stating "that's the way it is". The Corvette is a great car. However, GM isn't a great company. If they were this problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. Ed
It's not a problem. It's an intentional design feature that helps high speed cornering and is exacerbated by the high performance summer radials. If you want to prioritize parking lot speeds over performance at high speeds, don't buy a high performance sports car.

·
Registered
996 Posts
This is actually covered in your Owners Manual:

Tire Chatter/Hop
When driving at slow speeds and in
very tight turns, the vehicle may
have tire chatter/hop. This condition
is normal and the vehicle does not
require service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put on Michelin all season Hi performance tires. Wheel hop 90% gone.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I’ve encountered this issue mostly when backing out of my drive way while turning sharply. But I‘m not that bothered by it. I feel that this is an idiosyncrasy that one has to simply accept with this type of car. I wonder if this behavior is typical on other performance sport cars as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it surprised me the first time I experienced the hop. I found on warmer days it seems less of the effect. was surprised when it was considered normal because of HP tires

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
K-turns can be your friend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Believe it or not, your owner's manual describes this phenomenon, and tells you that it is normal. I will put my flame suit on for comments about reading the owner's manual.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
it surprised me the first time I experienced the hop. I found on warmer days it seems less of the effect. was surprised when it was considered normal because of HP tires
Actually it is as a result of the purposeful design of the steering geometry of the C7, which is exacerbated by the OEM tires and ambient temperature.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I purchased my Z06 new there was a tag hanging from the glove box which explained this as being a normal occurrence. When I had the Michelin cup2 tires on that came with the car it would do it only at low speed like pulling out of my driveway. When I put the new Michelin tires on non cup2 it still did the same. When I changed to the Michelin all season tires it no longer did the hop and skip movement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the GM treatment of either not caring or not providing you with the proper answer. This condition is due to the low and wide profile of the tires. It will not do any harm to your front end it just simply increases the wear factor of your tires. Drive on and enjoy your Corvette

·
Registered
868 Posts
A lot of Porsche’s do it too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I picked up my stingray at 7404 miles I noticed this tire noise backing out of the driveway and making some early sharp turns. I thought of course that this was the Ackerman effect. At 11,000 miles I put on Michelin all season tires and the shop said that the stabilizer links were shot and that the left control arm was also bad and needed replacement. This was covered under the warranty and the work was done by Chevrolet. I put the car in storage
last November with a little over 15,000 miles on it and have not experienced any problems or any noise! In fact, it drives just great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As Many have stated, this tire shutter, vibration, squealing, etc. is caused by the Ackerman effect. This effect was first discovered in the early 1800's, long before cars.
It is present in all cars, though it isn't noticeable in most. And it can't be completely eliminated.
This effect is made worse by cold weather, and by cars with: 1) hard rubber, wide-profile tires; 2) cars with a wide suspension; 3) cars that turn sharply (narrow turn radius; 4) slower speeds; 4) the type of pavement the car is traveling on.
If you don't believe all cars have it, drive into a covered, multi-level parking garage with the family car. Hear the tires squealing when you turn sharply? That's caused by the Ackerman effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's wrong with GM as a company has nothing to due with a characteristic problem on nearly all wide tire sport cars. Perhaps you could put some narrow bias ply polyglas tires on the steering wheels to mitigate the problem associated with physics? I understand why you have your feelings hurt because GM apparently tried to explain the widely know Ackermann effect and you are not satisfied with the answer. GM properly responded.There is actually nothing that can be done to correct the extremely low speed grab and slip of the wide tires without affecting the performance characteristics and probably the warranty of the car. As it has been said before, it is harmless to the car even though it may not be so with your personal satisfaction with the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,318 Posts
All valid points have been discussed. Thread closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.