Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn more and understand the tire tread and depth on these incredible machines. I have a TR 2015 Z51 with 20,500 miles on it and came out 2 Saturday's ago to a flat tire on rear passenger side.....I still had stock tires on. Took it in to Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine (DFW area) and they replaced it for FREE since they gave me the tire maintenance program upon my purchase of extended warranty. At any rate, I started thinking about needing to replace the other 3 tires and wonder at what tread depth do I need to do this? I appreciate all of the advice.

Here are some pics.

First pic, old rear passenger tire that was replaced.
IMG_1649.JPG

Next pic is brand new tire.

IMG_1654.JPG

Last pic is of current driver side rear tire.

IMG_1655.JPG

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Nice pics, and on an important subject. Here's what the 2015 manual says:

Capture.JPG

Michelin mentions using the penny test on their website: Do I need new tires?

If any part of Abe Lincoln's head is covered by the tread, you're driving with the legal and safe amount of tread. If your tread gets below that (approximately 2/32 of an inch), your car's ability to grip the road in adverse conditions is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobius, thanks for the info, this actually helps and I can understand it! Contrary to the Mobius & Boomer International puts, calls, swaps, pings, PIPs, etc that goes over my head but makes me tons of dough LOL.*

Seriously does my gauge that says 6MM mean 6/32 on the new tire? And obviously 3MM, then 3/32 on old tire?

* I just follow along the program as outlined in the invisible ink manual!

Reactions: Mobius

·
Administrator
16,234 Posts
Mobius, thanks for the info, this actually helps and I can understand it! Contrary to the Mobius & Boomer International puts, calls, swaps, pings, PIPs, etc that goes over my head but makes me tons of dough LOL.*

Seriously does my gauge that says 6MM mean 6/32 on the new tire? And obviously 3MM, then 3/32 on old tire?

* I just follow along the program as outlined in the invisible ink manual!
Actually I believe the closer conversion is 6mm = 1/4 or 8/32 inch and 3mm = 1/8 or 4/32 inch

Reactions: elegant

·
18,667 Posts
Stopping distance in the rain/wet pavement for street tires is directly proportional to the amount of tread depth.

I personally never get to where I down to where meet minimum legal or Owner Manual stated minimum depth. I do not want to have to go another 20 or even 40 more feet to bring my car to a panic stop when the pavement is wet because I eaked out another 2,000 miles of mileage. If you think I am exaggerating, please take a look at this chart -- the same one I see every time I walk into my Discount Tire.

IMG_0409.JPG

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, great picture! I never get to Discount cause my wife does it for us as I travel too much....but thanks that pic is a keeper.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always change my StingRay & Motorcycles tires just before wear bar hits the road... don't or need or want hydro planning on either

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I think it is time for Bonnie to take it to get the other 3 replaced. You have 1 new tire and 3 that are close to the end. In my book it is a mismatch.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Stopping distance in the rain/wet pavement for street tires is directly proportional to the amount of tread depth.

I personally never get to where I down to where meet minimum legal or Owner Manual stated minimum depth. I do not want to have to go another 20 or even 40 more feet to bring my car to a panic stop when the pavement is wet because I eaked out another 2,000 miles of mileage. If you think I am exaggerating, please take a look at this chart -- the same one I see every time I walk into my Discount Tire.

Good graphic. Hydroplaning is directly proportional to tire depth. With the wide tires on the C7 (particularly the Grand Sport I have on order) that is my main concern. If I were the OP and had 20,000 miles on 3 tires and one new one, I'd get the other 3 new!

Particularly on the freeway hydroplaning is very dangerous. On I95 though our town, even after grooving sections of the highway to help they have lowered the speed limit from 70 to 60 mph because in heavy rain standing water is on areas with curves. Had a number of accidents and a few deaths!

Frankly seldom use the Vette when raining, our SUV is much safer, but would never drive that section in the rain. I recall some years ago when my modified S10 front end floated on the Interstate and I got new tires! Much cheaper than risking sliding off the road, into a guard rail or worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts