Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Z51 tires and wheels to replace my 18/19's but noticed they each have hairline cracks in them (see below).

Is this normal, should I be concerned? The tires I'm taking off have over 1K miles and they do not have any cracks.

I bought these from a fellow forum member and wonder what my options are if this is a concern. I'm I hosed?

I payed $3800 for the set!

IMG_20140318_145357.jpg
IMG_20140318_145244.jpg

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
I just added this to my PDI checklist, although it should not be a problem for cars transported in warm weather.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did he disclose the cracks to you before the purchase. If not ship them back. If he has a any integrity at all he will refund your money and pay for return shipping.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seems to me that Chevrolet would know where these cars are being shipped to, and have a tire that would accommodate the weather for that vicinity. This problem is going to cause many headaches, and I for one hope for their sake that it does not happen to mine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This looks like tire cracking from cold temperatures, which is a known issue...it is not totaling understood in detail nor well communicated. I can not say with any degree of certainty if the seller was on the up and up...or not. But knowingly or not by the seller, you have received what many consider junk tires. I would not use them under any circumstances. The issue is were they cracked before or after you received them. If after receipt, in my opinion, the seller did nothing wrong. If cracked upon receipt, the seller did you wrong, or they somehow were damaged in shipping. Likely? Perhaps not.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Has anyone heard of an official stance on this from michelin? They use such exotic materials to get the compounds to perform, I can't help but wonder if they sacrificed cold performance to gain a major contract,when perhaps they should have not been so aggressive in their compounding.

Even still, I have an ozone depletion chart from Michelin that shows how much cracking is considered acceptable (which usually is called dry rot). U-haul corp. got tired of it and kicked them to the curb. I never imagined Michelin would have problems with compounds as they are well respected in the truck retreading industry and the auto industry, but what I've been seeing from u-haul to the c7 really makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tire cracks

I'm afraid your tires should be discarded. I have an official bulletin from GM that states if you drive the car in sub 20F temperatures you may damage the tires. Tires with cracks should be thrown away. This website won't let me upload it because it is a PDF and too large. If you like I can emaiL the bulletin to you my address is [email protected]

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have read that "officially" it is not covered by Michelin warranty. In reality, I have heard GM has covered some replacement tires.
I ran into problems with Michelin tires back in the mid 90's on an Intrepid. Same cracks except they were around the circumference in the tread groove. I managed to get an adjustment on the tires out of Michelin but it wasn't easy. The dealers typically pass it all on to the tire companies as they are the warranty provider on them. I'm not a fan of the Michelin tires either on cars or motorhomes etc and if there's anything on the vette that I'm not thrilled with it's the tire brand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm very happy to say that the fellow forum member that I purchased these from was not aware of the cracks and is sending me a partial refund.

The integrity of this forum stands true!

Thanks for all the replies. Question now is what tires I put back on.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm very happy to say that the fellow forum member that I purchased these from was not aware of the cracks and is sending me a partial refund.

That's great and props to the member who sold them.

Before you do anything call your local Discount/America's tire store. They should be able to get you some consideration on replacement from Michelin. I have had good luck with Michelin through Discount tires whenever there has been a problem but you need the tire dealer to be your advocate. The Chevy dealer typically isn't a Michelin dealer and if they are they are small change compared to Discount's clout. The only caveat, the refund will probably only apply to a replacement set of Michelin's.

I would replace them with the identical tire unless you live in an area where it gets severely cold. If you can live without a run flat then Pirelli and Bridgestone make tires in this size but honestly, they won't perform better than the tires developed for this car. The best bang for the buck in this size are the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModel=Corvette Coupe&autoModClar=Z51 Package

If you need all seasons (which IMHO = No Season since they don't do anything well) would be the Michelin A/S 3. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModel=Corvette Coupe&autoModClar=Z51 Package

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

That is very good to hear!

·
Registered
817 Posts

That's GREAT! Very happy you and the seller came to a mutually agreeable solution.

Keep in mind this cracks are not unique to that set of tires...it can, and likely will happen to the same make/model tire at cold temperatures. Over 40F no crack. Under 20F almost guaranteed crack especially if the tire is flexed in any way. Between 20F and 40F, don't drive the car. As for tire performance, they will not be great in cold temps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's great and props to the member who sold them.

Before you do anything call your local Discount/America's tire store. They should be able to get you some consideration on replacement from Michelin. I have had good luck with Michelin through Discount tires whenever there has been a problem but you need the tire dealer to be your advocate. The Chevy dealer typically isn't a Michelin dealer and if they are they are small change compared to Discount's clout. The only caveat, the refund will probably only apply to a replacement set of Michelin's.

I would replace them with the identical tire unless you live in an area where it gets severely cold. If you can live without a run flat then Pirelli and Bridgestone make tires in this size but honestly, they won't perform better than the tires developed for this car. The best bang for the buck in this size are the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModel=Corvette Coupe&autoModClar=Z51 Package

If you need all seasons (which IMHO = No Season since they don't do anything well) would be the Michelin A/S 3. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModel=Corvette Coupe&autoModClar=Z51 Package
Just so I'm clear, if you have 200 miles on your tires and there cracked from cold weather Michelin or GM won't replace them?

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
Just so I'm clear, if you have 200 miles on your tires and there cracked from cold weather Michelin or GM won't replace them?
Check them when they first arrive before you take delivery. If they are cracked then, of course they must replace them for free. If you crack them later by doing something the manufacturer says you should not do (move them when they are cold), then why would they replace them?

Reactions: rbcmd

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check them when they first arrive before you take delivery. If they are cracked then, of course they must replace them for free. If you crack them later by doing something the manufacturer says you should not do (move them when they are cold), then why would they replace them?
Because I live in NE and I bought the car expecting to be able to drive it in cold weather.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Probably true EXCEPT I don't think GM has produced anything in writing telling you when not to drive on or move these tires. The only document circulating is for the tires on the Camaro. Can you point to any document specifically for the tires on the C7?

Until they issue a warning, in writing, not hearsay from an engineer at a drivers school then both GM and Michelin are liable to replace these tires regardless how you use them.

Don't get me wrong, I believe those in cold climates should,be careful and chimed in a lot on the other thread but until GM steps up and produces a warning they are liable to replace the regardless how you use them.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I will use my Vette as a daily driver all year, and NC will drop in the teens every so often. I'll have to wait and see what develops concerning this matter.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I will use my Vette as a daily driver all year, and NC will drop in the teens every so often. I'll have to wait and see what develops concerning this matter.

SF
Rick
I would run Pilot Sport A/S 3's from November - March if I was in NC and needed this to be a DD. If not for the cracking issue then for the improved ride and handling below 40 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 20 of 24 Posts