Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that GM employees do go onto these forums and look at the posts for feedback, or ides, or just comments.

To those GM decision makers who have the power to decide and look at this form for input..... Please, please consider, if feasible, offering flat or matte paint in the color choices for the C8 Corvette. Not for me, but for the younger generation buyer Corvette is looking to attract ( I am 56 years old and prefer shiny clear coat myself, with chrome wheels !)

I see all the younger kids today liking, buying, and even wrapping in matte colors. I do like the matte finish, but still prefer clear coat for my corvette . BUT the younger gen see matte as "new", "modern", "cool" and "hip"

I just purchased a new Ducati Xdiavel Motorcycle in flat matte black paint and actually chose and prefer it over the gloss black that was offered, so even my tastes are changing. The matte paint on the Ducati made it look more modern and sinister. BTW, Harley also offers factory matte finish now for many years to attract younger buyers.

I have No idea what the technique or technology or equipment is necessary to get a matte finish paint on body panels, but if not cost prohibitive, Corvette should be offered in matte paint options to attract younger buyers.

Chrome wheels were all the rage in the 1990's when they were offered, and then the carbon flash wheels offered now are popular.

But I see other manufacturers like Lambo and even BMW offering Matte paint. Viper also offered matte paint but for the Viper I am aware that Dodge did not paint the panels but instead used an outside Vendor ( Prefix) to paint all the panels for them before assembly.

Even if GM would contract an outside vendor like Prefix to produce matte paint panels in low production volume and then offer matte paint as an up-charge added cost option, I think that it would make the car more appealing to the younger buyers since it visually would make the car look more hip to younger buyers. Young buyers seeing a matte pearl white in a Chevy showroom is like eyeball bait.

Just an idea to increase market share and sales volume, and to attract a new generation of Corvette buyers/ enthusiasts.

Hope some decision makers are reading this.

·
Administrator
14,879 Posts
Welcome to our forum Kratedisease. Interesting suggestion.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Great idea as the younger crowd IS the future!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I really doubt we'll see a factory matte paint. One of the primary reasons is that Chevy will not want to deal with all of the issues that owners will have:

1. Paint Defects Will Stand out
A single small scratch will stand out more on a matte surface than on a glossy one. And here’s a caveat that you must not ignore: scratches will be permanent because paint rejuvenation methods like wet sanding, polishing and waxing won’t work on a surface with matte finish. Moreover, it is very difficult to match the exact color shade, leading to an uneven surface. Hence, you only have two options: a complete expensive repaint or live with the scratch.
2. Cleaning the Paint
Because paint scratch repair on matte finish cars is neither easy nor cheap, every step should be taken to prevent scratching. This means staying away from automatic car washes with their abrasive brushes, chemical-laden car wash products and contaminated towels. The best option is to hand wash it yourself or to take it to a professional service. Also, it is very important that you use cleaning products specifically made for matte finish, which means staying away from dish soap, detergents and regular car wash products.
3. Paint Care
Paint care for matte finish is very different from the requirements of a gloss finish. You should not polish or wax the paint because it will lead to an unwanted shine. Because a clay bar cannot be used on this finish to remove surface contaminants, you need to use a matte paint cleanser. Regular microfiber towels are not suitable for this finish. Instead, the recommendation is that you use sheepskin mitts and cloths. To give the paint additional protection, use a matte paint sealant like Permanon Super Matte Finish Protection. To top it off, use matte paint protection film.
4. High Cost
There is a reason why you would most often find matte finishes on high end vehicles. Even matte paint cleaning products are more expensive than regular auto detailing supplies. If you want to achieve a dull paint appearance without hurting your wallet, use vinyl wrap. However, we strongly recommend against doing it yourself because this job is best handled by professionals.
5. No Additional Warranty
Manufacturers won’t give matte painted cars an additional warranty even if the paint is more delicate than a gloss paint job. Taking care of the paint, thus, is completely in your hands and will need more care and attention than a ‘regular’ car.Because matte paint finish is very expensive and prone to car paint problems, many car owners won’t opt for it. But if you want your car to really stand out, for instance, at an auto show, then this finish might be the ideal choice for you.

Further comments on matte paint issues:
Jeff Major, a collision repair tech, repaints car bodies in Sudbury for a living.

"Matte-finish paint can collect swirls, scratches and other imperfections over time, like any other paint — but you can't remove these like you can on a gloss finish," he said. "Repainting, if required, is more costly, too, as an expensive additive is required for the clearcoat, to create the matte texture. It's also harder to replicate the exact texture and colour from one panel to the next."

·
18,667 Posts
Thanks Zymurgy. I learned a lot from reading this. Perhaps that is why most choose to do a matte wrap rather than go to the expense of getting it painted.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Exactly right, elegant.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think GM could offer a Matte Wrap option and achieve the same thing and make some added revenue. The question then becomes why wouldn't someone have it wrapped on their own at a cheaper price. They could have it wrapped on their own but there are a lot of people that want OEM only with anything their cars. That said, ever those brands that offer matte finishes, I would presume that the volume of matte finish cars are quite small and I don't know if the investment pros or option is worth the cons that come with the offering.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't see GM getting involved in the wrapping process and that's probably a good thing. Let the detail shops handle all the car wraps. I couldn't imagine much more that would decrease value and resale potential buyers than a matte paint job on a Corvette. At least the wrap can be removed and you have a nice shiny car underneath.

Interesting ideas though Kratedisease to think about ways of reaching a younger demographic. I would have loved to have a Corvette in my 20's, but my disposable income was nowhere near where it is today. The insurance for a 20 year old driving a C7 is naturally way more expensive than a 40 or 50 year old driving one and in more cases than not, it's not the only car owned by te 40 or 50 or 60 or 70 year old so that lowers the insurance even more. There are certainly exceptions, but once you are established and content financially, that's usually when you think about treating yourself to something you have always wanted.

·
Registered
653 Posts
+1 to what Fireeagle said.

The C7 really isn't a good car for a young person due to the cost of insurance, the price of the car, and the impracticality of it as a daily driver for someone with a new family.

If you're young and have the funds for a new Corvette, you most certainly can afford the cost of a wrap.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I see a lot of affordable cars and trucks in matte finish. Hard to believe scratch repair is more expensive than gloss with clear coat but I don't paint cars. Need the thumbnail test to identify scratches no matter what color or finish. A little paint an polish does wonders for any finish. Ill need to keep my C8 away from Kevin.

I don't judge color or finish until I see the car. Some dolors just don't work... but thats me....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am aware that GM employees do go onto these forums and look at the posts for feedback, or ides, or just comments.

To those GM decision makers who have the power to decide and look at this form for input..... Please, please consider, if feasible, offering flat or matte paint in the color choices for the C8 Corvette. Not for me, but for the younger generation buyer Corvette is looking to attract ( I am 56 years old and prefer shiny clear coat myself, with chrome wheels !)

I see all the younger kids today liking, buying, and even wrapping in matte colors. I do like the matte finish, but still prefer clear coat for my corvette . BUT the younger gen see matte as "new", "modern", "cool" and "hip"

I just purchased a new Ducati Xdiavel Motorcycle in flat matte black paint and actually chose and prefer it over the gloss black that was offered, so even my tastes are changing. The matte paint on the Ducati made it look more modern and sinister. BTW, Harley also offers factory matte finish now for many years to attract younger buyers.

I have No idea what the technique or technology or equipment is necessary to get a matte finish paint on body panels, but if not cost prohibitive, Corvette should be offered in matte paint options to attract younger buyers.

Chrome wheels were all the rage in the 1990's when they were offered, and then the carbon flash wheels offered now are popular.

But I see other manufacturers like Lambo and even BMW offering Matte paint. Viper also offered matte paint but for the Viper I am aware that Dodge did not paint the panels but instead used an outside Vendor ( Prefix) to paint all the panels for them before assembly.

Even if GM would contract an outside vendor like Prefix to produce matte paint panels in low production volume and then offer matte paint as an up-charge added cost option, I think that it would make the car more appealing to the younger buyers since it visually would make the car look more hip to younger buyers. Young buyers seeing a matte pearl white in a Chevy showroom is like eyeball bait.

Just an idea to increase market share and sales volume, and to attract a new generation of Corvette buyers/ enthusiasts.

Hope some decision makers are reading this.
Not many, if any auto manufacturers offer matte paint from factory. Corvette doesn't need a paint color to attract buyers, no matter the age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remember when flat paint used to be called "Primer"? You put it on in expectation of enhancing the depth of the real final paint layers. Some people drove their hot rod cars around for months with just the "flat paint" because they had not yet saved up enough cash for the rest of the paint job...then some young idiots come along and think, Hey, that's cool. I think I'll pay extra for that. 🙄

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not many, if any auto manufacturers offer matte paint from factory. Corvette doesn't need a paint color to attract buyers, no matter the age.
I disagree. I find the color options for the Corvette really disappointing compared to other cars in the same class. I think non-metallic, brighter, and more exciting/exotic colors would go a long way toward attracting buyers, myself included.

Nobody wants five shades of grey, none of which are modern. I don't think the current paint choices are going to look right on the C8, assuming it's more European looking in its styling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
STINGmole
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing