Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I placed my order for a Cyber Gray Kalahari non-Z51 2LT Stingray with the following options: Navi, Performance Exhaust, Auto Tranny (I'm a cruiser not a racer). Naturally I spent hours looking at photos trying to decided on an exterior/interior color combination and fell for one of GM's show car combos. For a few days I was absolutely certain that I was also going to purchase the dealer installed, Z51 design, body-colored rear spoiler (found this option on the chevrolet.com build your Stingray web app). But now, after seeing one or two non-Z51 Stingrays that have only the 'mini-spoiler', I'm not so certain. Part of me thinks that the Z51 rear spoiler 'finishes' the rear-end of the Stingray by nicely wrapping the center brake light. Another part of me likes the look of the clean rear deck with just the stock mini-spoiler (to me, that look seems a bit more Ferrari-ish). The thing that bugs me about the mini-spoiler is that the center brake light seems to stick out like a sore thumb. Another issue for me concerns the installation of said Z51 rear spoiler. The idea of the dealer drilling holes in the rear deck of my brand-new C7 makes me a little queasy.

I haven't found too many good rear-end photos of Stingrays with only the stock mini-spoiler. Perhaps some fellow forum members could post some to this thread along with their comments.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I went thru the same thing when I got my non z51... I even ordered and received the spoiler from a website. After reading I had to drill nine holes and take the whole bumper off, and seeing how much more "wide Lambo like" the car is without the spoiler, I returned it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glen, an internet search confirmed your report on the rear bumper removal and drilling of 9 holes. There is no way I'm going to let the dealership pull the rear bumper off my Stingray! The Lambo look is growing on me fast :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh my!!! :eek: I didn’t know they would have to drill 9 holes in the car. My wife insisted on the z51 spoiler but I think she is going to have to live without it.

·
Administrator
16,307 Posts
Barry,
I feel that the 'mini' spoiler complements the lines of the rear window while the Z51 spoiler seems to truncate those lines. It's art, and clearly in the eyes of the beholder :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jsvette, the lines sweeping down from the sides of rear window do not get 'spoiled' at the deck with the base spoiler and I agree with you that those lines look really good. I'm gonna have to learn to like the look 'cause like I said: no way is a dealership going to disassemble the back-end of my brand-new Stingray! Who knows how many squeaks and rattles that would spawn!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glen, I'm feeling alot better about the situation after seeing the photo you just posted. That rear-end looks great and I can appreciate the designer's vision.

jsvette: I also see what you are saying, the base spoiler is the perfect 'ending' to the rear-window line.

·
Administrator
16,307 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Barry, as per your question, "I haven't found too many good rear-end photos of Stingrays with only the stock mini-spoiler. Perhaps some fellow forum members could post some to this thread along with their comments," I will hunt some up. Here's the first one I found:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Once you see it in person and how the z51 spoiler is stuck on top of the 3rd brake light, it just looks added on. I'm anxious to see some aftermarket options coming...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts