Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the z51 I just checked my oil for first time (500 miles), and checked it as instructed by manual for z51, and oil level is about a little less than a quarter inch above cross hatch. Manual says this can be bad. Is that true? Wouldn't the only problem be oil burping out? I have elite clean side separator btw. Anyhow, don't have a jack to let out some oil.

What everyone's experienced thoughts on this? Thx!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
That is very much true what the manual says! The clean side separator hopefully will keep your oil out of the air intake, but, if I were you, I would get some oil out of there.

I think one guy was going to use a small hose and a new, clean turkey baster to suck some oil out. It would take a while, but should get the job done if you want to go that way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! You know what is tough, is that with z51 you are supposed to get it to operating temp and then shut engine, wait 5-10min, then check. I was doing a bunch of hard runs just before I checked, so oil was to, engine temp was hot, waited and it was high. Came back down 20 minutes later the engine was now at 175 degrees and oil was at bottom part of hatch pattern. How do I know I should have waited longer or not. Doesn't se that accurate a way to check oil.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There seems to be a pretty good indication that less oil (indicated within the hatch marks) is better than having a level towards the top of the hatch marks for the Z-51. The higher level seems to contribute to the dreaded oil belch which sends oil into the intact tract. The are several threads about this. Look in the recall / bulletin forum for the PI.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Thanks! You know what is tough, is that with z51 you are supposed to get it to operating temp and then shut engine, wait 5-10min, then check. I was doing a bunch of hard runs just before I checked, so oil was to, engine temp was hot, waited and it was high. Came back down 20 minutes later the engine was now at 175 degrees and oil was at bottom part of hatch pattern. How do I know I should have waited longer or not. Doesn't se that accurate a way to check oil.
Welcome to the same dilemma faced by many. The owner's manual apparently says wait 5 to 10 minutes to check, but some have reported that their level at 5 minutes and at 10 minutes are quite different.

If it were me, I would make sure that at 5 minutes it is at least somewhat below the top of the hash marks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There seems to be a pretty good indication that less oil (indicated within the hatch marks) is better than having a level towards the top of the hatch marks for the Z-51. The higher level seems to contribute to the dreaded oil belch which sends oil into the intact tract. The are several threads about this. Look in the recall / bulletin forum for the PI.
Thx. That's why I have the clean side separator from elite engineering. So it fixes the belch issue, but getting an accurate reading on oil level is important. I'm going to warm it to 175 tonight and then pull over and check and see if it is much different than when I ran it hard and hotter then waited the same time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What is the normal operating oil temp on the LT1? 175 seems low...

BTW, if you don't have a top side oil changer (a handy tool to have around), a local oil change place or the dealer should be able to suck 1/2 qt out, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
We all know that the Z-51 oil requirement was cut by 1/2 quart in April, but has anyone confirmed that the Z-51 dipsticks (since then) have been recalibrated to reflect this...

The easiest way to do this, and confirm it conclusively, would be to have some Z-51 owners do a comparison of their dipstick hashmarks based on the known production dates for their vehicles.

My bet is that the dipsticks have not been changed.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I run at around 220 F - non Z-51.
That sounds more realistic. Don't think Z51 would run at a lower "normal temperature". Z51's additional capacity would allow harder running before reaching an unsafe temperature, but not a lower normal.

So, how low does the temp drop in 5-10 minutes with the additional Z51 capacity. Thinking maybe 195-200, but that's not scientific.

So, measuring at 175 might result in a lower than accurate reading.

Thoughts???

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ran my black beauty this evening, and yes to 220, sorry for confusion. I then parked it and waited 5 min (with a stop watch) and oil was about 1/4 inch above top of pattern. Then I measured it 5 min later at 10 min. At that point it was jusssttt under top of pattern. So that is a big difference in my mind when chevy says check between 5 and 10 min. I'm guessing as long as it is in shaded area it is good. Would likely be good to get it at the 3/4 point at 5 min and halfway point at 10.

Do not know how many quarts that would be...I also have found nothing official about reducing the recommended oil level. I even asked chevy and they saw no tsb on this. Did we all see some guy say that on this forum and take his word for it, or have I missed something on the tsb page?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sounds like you may have about 1 cup of oil you could safely take out to get your level down just a bit.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
So I ran my black beauty this evening, and yes to 220, sorry for confusion. I then parked it and waited 5 min (with a stop watch) and oil was about 1/4 inch above top of pattern. Then I measured it 5 min later at 10 min. At that point it was jusssttt under top of pattern. So that is a big difference in my mind when chevy says check between 5 and 10 min. I'm guessing as long as it is in shaded area it is good. Would likely be good to get it at the 3/4 point at 5 min and halfway point at 10.

Do not know how many quarts that would be...I also have found nothing official about reducing the recommended oil level. I even asked chevy and they saw no tsb on this. Did we all see some guy say that on this forum and take his word for it, or have I missed something on the tsb page?
Apparently it was official. Someone said their owner's manual came with a printed insert telling of the new number of quarts for the oil. Search this site, it is here somewhere.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

This is from another thread ( http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...issues/4291-woke-up-oil-leak-4.html#post48501 ):

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
"I downloaded the 2014 owners manual from the Chevy site, and on page 12-2 they list oil capacities for the Z51. They are listed as 9.7 L or 10.3 Q, for an oil and filter change. http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ip/Manuals and Videos/02_pdf/2k14corvette.pdf

Are you sure your page 12-2 reflects different numbers? If so, the online owners manual is outdated."
C7ish responded:

Mobius,
My owner's manual page 12-2 states 9.8 qt with Z51. My car was built in April.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is very much true what the manual says! The clean side separator hopefully will keep your oil out of the air intake, but, if I were you, I would get some oil out of there.

I think one guy was going to use a small hose and a new, clean turkey baster to suck some oil out. It would take a while, but should get the job done if you want to go that way.
I got my car a few weeks ago even though it was built in Jan, and after reading on here about factory overfilling, suspected it may have been delivered with too much oil. It's a Z51, so the other day I took a a little drive to get it up to 220F, looked at the oil level at the 7 min point after shut down, sure enough found it above the top hole on the stick. Got out my handy Harbor Freight hand pump and pulled about a cup of oil out to put it right in the middle of the hash marks. The trick is, with the "between 5 and 10 minutes", it's a moving target so I'm going to check it a few more times to make sure it's where it needs to be.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Ah, the last two posts above say it all!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I do wonder how low the oil has to be in a Z-51 before a "low oil" warning is triggered.

Clearly, the LT1 engine can run safely on 6 quarts (non Z-51) without triggering a low oil warning, which I confirmed over the weekend when I changed the oil in my non Z-51 car. After 10 minutes the oil level was not visible on the dipstick, and adding another 1/2 quart put it in the lower 1/3rd of the dipstick.

Small block Chevy's have been using 5-6 quarts since the 1960's without issue.

I suggest that the dry sump system of the Z-51 will ensure adequate circulation of oil, even if the oil level is well below the 9.8 Q value called out in the owners manual.

But, of course, as an owner you still need a reference (like the dipstick) to know that you are not operating "excessively" below the 9.8 Q recommendation...

When I get home from work this afternoon I'll review the oil specifications on page 12-2 of my owners manual (my car was built last month) to confirm the info that C7ish provided.

I'll post a pic of that page here for the world to see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do wonder how low the oil has to be in a Z-51 before a "low oil" warning is triggered.

Clearly, the LT1 engine can run safely on 6 quarts (non Z-51) without triggering a low oil warning, which I confirmed over the weekend when I changed the oil in my non Z-51 car. After 10 minutes the oil level was not visible on the dipstick, and adding another 1/2 quart put it in the lower 1/3rd of the dipstick.

Small block Chevy's have been using 5-6 quarts since the 1960's without issue.

I suggest that the dry sump system of the Z-51 will ensure adequate circulation of oil, even if the oil level is well below the 9.8 Q value called out in the owners manual.

But, of course, as an owner you still need a reference (like the dipstick) to know that you are not operating "excessively" below the 9.8 Q recommendation...

When I get home from work this afternoon I'll review the oil specifications on page 12-2 of my owners manual (my car was built last month) to confirm the info that C7ish provided.

I'll post a pic of that page here for the world to see.
Mobius a couple data points for clarification.
1) I've seen you know there's a difference between the wet sump and dry sump ( non-Z51 vs Z51). I've never had a dry sump before, didn't (maybe still don't) understand how they worked under day-to-day driving conditions. However, every other car I've had in my life (my USAA account say's I'm on vehicle 13 now), I could check the engine when it's cold to determine the amount of oil. With this one, I went and checked it the first time I read about the potential overfill and the engine was cold - it was an inch or more below the hash marks. That got me into the manual to figure out if I was doing something wrong (its just a dipstick!), which then pointed out the warm engine/timing requirements. I don't know if the non-Z51 have the same temp and timing requirements since there's no dry sump, but it would appear that as the oil cools off it drains out of the side tank back into the pan.

2) Some engines run just fine with a little less than minimum required. Case in point, the engine in my airplane is supposed to have a minimum of 6 qts, max of 8. If I put more than 6 qts in it, it ends up getting blown out all over the belly - PITA to clean too. Now at 5-6 qts, it's happy as a clam. Temps and pressures are right where they need to be, and those engines are made to be run WOT all the time.

Reactions: Area 473 and Mobius

·
Registered
810 Posts
PE, checking the dipstick cold on Z51 will show way below the crosshatch area, that I can confirm. Did that just for my own edification, I know the proper warm oil procedure.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts