Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 10-67 there is pictured a tool, I believe a towing hook, located in the depression on the Styrofoam cover for the battery. We have delivered close to 100 Corvettes and I do not remember seeing one come with that tool. Has anyone else found that to true? Cannot find a reference on using the tow hook.

Customer of mine noticed this when reading the owners manual and when he went to look for it, there was none.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Tow hook is only supplied on Non-US cars... We don't get them.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Interesting. I recently had a warranty battery replacement, and I noticed that recess in the foam cover. I wondered what was meant to go there - thanks for answering that question!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not only is the tow hook not included in the U.S., but the plates to screw the hooks into are not installed. There is an access point on the left side of the rear bumper and on the right side of the front grill to attach a tow hook. However, behind these access points is only a flat plate. Chevrolet did not weld the extra threaded part to accept a tow hook. I'm sure this was done to save a few dollars on MSRP, but I would have paid the extra money for this "just in case" feature to pull the car onto a tow truck.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Not only is the tow hook not included in the U.S., but the plates to screw the hooks into are not installed. There is an access point on the left side of the rear bumper and on the right side of the front grill to attach a tow hook. However, behind these access points is only a flat plate. Chevrolet did not weld the extra threaded part to accept a tow hook. I'm sure this was done to save a few dollars on MSRP, but I would have paid the extra money for this "just in case" feature to pull the car onto a tow truck.
Most experienced flat bed tow truck operators prefer to hook up their own lines rather than use the tow hook option/liability if they can't drive the car on its own power onto the bed. Only my European cars have come with functioning tow hooks and again the few times I had to use a flat bed the operators would not use the OEM hook.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm sure this was done to save a few dollars on MSRP, but I would have paid the extra money for this "just in case" feature to pull the car onto a tow truck.
Amen to that.

Most tow truck drivers will just hook on to an A-arm to drag the car onto a flatbed, pretty much ensuring that no matter what other problems the car has you'll also need an alignment.

Reactions: Z51Stingray

·
Registered
286 Posts
jsvette -

Thanks for the info! I haven't needed the service of a tow truck in a very long time. I'm just nervous about tow truck chains tearing/ripping off front parts of the car as its dragged onto the flat bed. I scrape my front end exiting my driveway everyday. I guess I will have to leave it to the professional tow truck driver to do the right thing. But, I will have my eyes closed and fingers in my ears until the car is secured.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Amen to that.

Most tow truck drivers will just hook on to an A-arm to drag the car onto a flatbed, pretty much ensuring that no matter what other problems the car has you'll also need an alignment.
True dat!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Man I thought you were gonna say there's a photo of Justin Bieber or Ryan Seacrest or something in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you look under the car in the left rear, the device that the tow hook would screw into in not there. As someone said earlier it is only on non US cars. I got the first C7 in Fresno last year and it took the dealer months to get that answer from GM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts