Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Some snippets that made me chuckle, as most Top Gear reviews should. Gotta love brit humor

It just blares a glorious V8 symphony from a quartet of centrally-positioned exhausts that look uncannily like the exhaust nozzles from a Saturn V rocket.

It's a hugely elastic engine, with globs of character, not least the noise, which is pure sonic vandalism.

and the conclusion, which I think the Corvette team should be proud of

But more to the point, there was a time when buying a Corvette in Europe came pre-damned with faint praise, or a slightly whiny sub-clause. The Vette was always good "for the money", or "for American muscle". That time has passed. The Corvette C7 Stingray is simply a damn fine sports car, irrespective of the price point. The fact that it feels like good value is just another plus. The Corvette always felt like it would one day come of age. That time, it seems, is now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
High praise from the Top Gear guys, even though they really really wanted the 911 to be better than it turned out to be.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
High praise from the Top Gear guys, even though they really really wanted the 911 to be better than it turned out to be.
I didn't read that into it. The 911 is a known commodity, they didn't find anything out about the car they didn't already know and in fact, in everything but acceleration and sound they considered it to be better than the Corvette, better steering, brakes, interior, handling and subjectively looks.

HOWEVER, they also sung the praises of the new C7 and when you factor in the cost it becomes the better buy, not the better car. Calling it world class without any reservations is indeed high praise from an international reviewer, especially a Brit.

Reactions: regguy1

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Enjoyed the show and their take on the C7, but man do I wish I had that Ferrari, so amazing!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Found this article: 911 versus the new Corvette Stingray - BBC Top Gear

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
so this is just silly. how many different models do you have with the 911--between carrera, gt3, gts, the base models, s-model, turbo--all with different power trains, transmissions, etc. and somehow, in their headline, they seem to compare all of them to the one model stingray? silly. just silly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've owned both and still can't understand why they are compared other than marketing. The porsche is refined and has tons of electronics to assist the driver they have active engine mounts for gods sakes. The corvette is a refined muscle car but it is still raw and a power machine which is in a different class. Porsche over years decided to make everything an option and of course dealers don't order base cars so its profitable for both, have you seen the discount a 2yr old porsche has? Thats the options taking the depreciation hit..A vette can be had to whereas it would only cover the porsche's options and the balance would still be left equating to the base MSRP, Read you can put 60k in options and still not have all the boxes checked in the porsche world. Top gear loves raw power they of course are enthusiast and rave review such cars that thrill the driver with minimal electronic assistance as they turn off driving aids you can see it because they drift. Put it simply Porsche has gone soft on the 911 hence the GT3 offering to fill the gap. The new caymans which are mid engine now handle better than their 911 offerings Porsche is very much focused on profits and segmenting cars to MSRP. You will find everybody drives a vette and there are no "types" especially with the new stingrays.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
God I love Top Gear!
Too bad it's history now...... Hopefully The trio will find an alternate outlet and the show will go on but for now Top Gear as we've known it is dead.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not sure why exactly but no matter how fast they get, I've never wanted to own a 911.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know about y'all, but I prefer the BBC Top Gear.

The American version pretty much stinks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts