Stingray Corvette Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wheels - chrome is the classic look.
- black is the latest trend.
That said……

Red and black is a great combination. Going against my preference for classic looks, I vote the black wheels.

You could always paint some red between the spokes or add a pinstripe later to add a little 'pop' to the wheels.

Bottom line it's yours. I six months or a year, will you regret the decision? Or not? Maybe that will help you decide.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is what I was thinking Dasyatis, I could have the perimeter powder coated red at a later date. I think that would really look awesome.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Saw the chrome last night for the first time and really liked them. Go easy on the black... you can do too much. Have you already ordered the car with the black z51 wheels? If so, go with it. That obviously was where your heart was at the time. I changed my wheels after about 6 weeks from aluminum to glass black, BUT I don't have all of the extra carbon flash you do. The aluminum didn't go with the car as well as the chrome, due to the badges... another reason I changed my mind (you can view my Yellow Stinger's "Improved" C7 thread to see what I did).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rebecca ; One thing you need to know about the black wheels if you decide on them; You need to be very careful how they are cleaned. Being painted they show swirls and fine scratches pretty easily. Making sure to use some sort of wet cleaner and not cleaning them with a dry towel or rag will help, but I think long term they lose their luster and will require some other remedial work. Just my .02 worth...
I'll echo this comment.
The gloss black wheels show brake dust pretty easily, and IMO, they only look great on an ongoing basis if you are going to clean the barrels too. Since they show brake dust so much, I've actually cleaned my wheels several times without washing the car (actually, come to think of it, I haven't even washed the car yet, lol).
There are a number of products out there, this is the brush I use...
DI Brushes EZ Detail Brush - Full Size | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

And IMO...black all the way.
S.

Reactions: Lipstic

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
A friend of mine put black chrome wheels on his car. I'm not a fan of black wheels, although i have to admit they look doggone nice on the C7. Black chrome might be an alternative that is a cross between black and chrome. I know on his car, depending on the angle you view it, they look like chrome. Look from another angle and they look black.

·
18,670 Posts
Any chance Gregg, you get more wheel info (brand, model, etc), post pictures?

Have always thought about black chrome wheels. Maybe put a set on my yellow 2015 Corvette?

·
Administrator
16,944 Posts
An interesting thing happened this morning at Cars and Coffee. A friend of mine had his C7 Torch Red parked a car away from RedHot and RedHot has the aluminum painted wheels and his has the black wheels (both had the transparent roof, but his also had the black carbon flash mirrors vs red on mine). For most of the morning the crowds hung around and photographed RedHot and ignored his. The only logic I can give for this was the different wheels. Actually I did not notice this occurring until one of my car buddies pointed it out. :cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have the cf mirrors n spoiler too. Not telling my husband this story. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
RedFoxx is at 3000 now.

·
Administrator
16,944 Posts
Reactions: Lipstic

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Getting closer :cool:
With the holiday schedule I doubt by Christmas but one can hope! I dropped the FAY and cf exposed roof. Once I did she started moving. I will have my awesome Vett Mechanic install the FAY and think I will enjoy the transparent roof better.

·
Administrator
16,944 Posts
With the holiday schedule I doubt by Christmas but one can hope! I dropped the FAY and cf exposed roof. Once I did she started moving. I will have my awesome Vett Mechanic install the FAY and think I will enjoy the transparent roof better.

I think you will find the transparent panel a real pleasure. It provides a feeling of openness you don't get with the non-light transmitting CF or exposed CF panels. Yet from several feet away it almost looks identical to the exposed CF roof, that is, black, really complimenting the body. :cool:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Any chance Gregg, you get more wheel info (brand, model, etc), post pictures?

Have always thought about black chrome wheels. Maybe put a set on my yellow 2015 Corvette?
Yes I am seriously considering this for my 2015. I'm going Torch Red with black carbon flash stripes, and I think the black chrome would be perfect on it. I can get the standard painted no charge wheels and for about $1K including shipping get them black chromed here. Must be pretty good because they did Jay Leno's car. California Chrome Wheel Inc. - Black Chrome Plating for automotive alloy wheels and rims. Black Chrome your wheels! From CalChrome

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes I am seriously considering this for my 2015. I'm going Torch Red with black carbon flash stripes, and I think the black chrome would be perfect on it. I can get the standard painted no charge wheels and for about $1K including shipping get them black chromed here. Must be pretty good because they did Jay Leno's car. California Chrome Wheel Inc. - Black Chrome Plating for automotive alloy wheels and rims. Black Chrome your wheels! From CalChrome
OOOOOOOHHHHHH....I think I made need this.....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You want to do a black wheel but make it easy to clean with great looks?, take it to a powder coater and leave the spokes silver. This wheel POPS.....I think it's the nicest version of a GM wheel I've seen, the best of all possibles......

·
Administrator
16,944 Posts
That does look nice Glen! I hope to have yet an other alternative to share once I can get it done on RedHot. :cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Lipstic, so what did you decide on the wheels?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts