Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 800 miles is 69% oil remaining normal? Took to the dealer, they checked the oil and said it was fine - nothing to worry about, check again at 3000 miles. But I am concerned. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have 494 miles on mine and oil life is 94% so to me yours sounds quite abnormal? But I cannot be certain it may have a sudden drop around 800? Need more input from other users? Mine is yellow so that could make the difference in oil use ? :p

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I wonder if you drive in sport or track the if oil life monitor uses severe service recommendation for oil change interval?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got just over 600 miles on my Z51 Stingray with A6 and it shows 90% oil life remaining. About 250 miles are highway. The rest is around town. Your reading seems off.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
This explains some of what you are seeing. For example, let's just say for the sake of the argument that you let your car idle a lot while not moving, or moving slowly. Then the engine turns over many times while very few miles go on your car. In the most extreme example, let's say you just start your car to listen to it, let it run for hours every day, but never drive it. Eventually you will be to 0% oil life, with no miles driven!

Anyway, I think RedC7 nailed it!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
It's very possible the read is right. All the pct of life systems on cars today are not based on linear mileage but how you use the car. Short trips/city driving causes the pct to go down fast. The algorithm used takes into account engine warm up time, start stop , rev monitoring, I think you're fine, if everything else is ok, it's hard for it to be wrong. Or in my case, I ignore the whole system as I'm 100 pct city driving, and milage is low, so I change with Mobil 1 extended perf every 9 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 432 miles on my car and my oil life shows 61%. 90% of my driving has been start and stop around town so far, but I have been concerned about the low oil life, when compared to my other cars. I will be getting it on the road as soon as the weather clears up and see if it makes any difference. Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Frankly, I would be happy with that. Chevy does free oil changes for a few years, right? Don't they change it every time the oil life monitor goes below 20% or so? With a fast-decreasing oil life monitor, you just get more frequent oil changes. That seems good to me.

On the other hand, I understand you are concerned there is something wrong with your car. But does it show any signs of a problem? In other words, if that oil life monitor were not visible to you, would you be worried about anything based on how your car is running? If not, I personally would not worry about it.

Best wishes in any case,

-Rodney

Reactions: Arie 397

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
At 800 miles is 69% oil remaining normal? Took to the dealer, they checked the oil and said it was fine - nothing to worry about, check again at 3000 miles. But I am concerned. Any advice is appreciated.
I have 2050 miles and the oil life is 47%. Have had the car since early October, or about 6 months so, as usual, will change before the year is up. But the GM oil use algorithm is very complex. It apparently takes into account short trips, i.e. were the oil never gets hot and makes that a shorter interval between changes, which it should. If the oil doesn’t get hot it remains diluted from more combustion products (water, unburned hydrocarbons etc.) blow-by when the engine is cold. I live 16 miles from town and purposely try not to drive short distances especially with a Z51 and larger oil capacity dry sump. If you're making a lot of short trips, change it when or before it says!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts