Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
You guys need a new torque converter. My dealer had never replaced one so my car was in the shop for over 30 days as they waited for "guidance" and parts. I also needed a new fuel pump so they had to completely disassemble the rear of the car including the torque tube, rear axle and transmission. It was all put back together and now it runs much better. Try to find a dealer that has replaced a torque converter. There is a TSB out on this issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sudder issue got worse

Follow up to previous article: It's sitting apart at the dealer waiting for parts or when they can get to it. Not much info from the dealer other than the tranny might need to be flushed several times, over a period of time, to remove contaminants. I am concluding there are worn or damaged parts, so am reluctant to even drive any distance for fear of being stuck somewhere. BTW, car is still under warranty. At least this time they are looking into the issue, not just reflashing a module and sending me on my way only to return with the same issue or more. It's a 2015 Z51, but what good is a hi tech masterpiece that can't be serviced. This might be my last Corvette, first was a '63 split window, sebring silver FI

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been having these issues as well.
Torque converter has been changed. 3rd gear bump is still there at about 2200-2500 RPM. They flushed out the Tranny 3 times process. Bump is still there. BUT.......... soon after ( approx. 1000km) NOW I get the feeling of going over rumble strips at 1800-2000 RPM. On any gear and on manual or auto mode. Whether you are accelerating or not. Now they are about to change the Torque converter tube. Parts on order. I really hope this works. It also happens in park position. Grrrrrr

Now!
They have changed the torque converter tube now. All seems good after driving about 300km testing it out in all modes. Auto or manual. They said the flex plate was fine. They claim there's a bearing on the one end of tube that was getting loose and causing the vibration. I guess we'll see what this one does.
3rd gear thump (manual mode) still there. I'll see how this goes for now.
I think I'm ready to write a letter to GM. Cause this ain't just a loose wire problem. This is what drives the car.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In the automotive business its always interesting that what worked last year doesn't the following year. Must be an axiom or a genie. Charlie aka cutnout

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I've been bitten by the torque converter bug. Absolutely terrible condition that feels like my '16 Stingray is going to sling me out of the car any minute. I've taken it to the dealer who flushed the tranny 3 times but it didn't fix a thing. Now I have to wait a week for the parts and who knows how long it will take to actually fix the problem. It looks like this issue has been going on since day one. Isn't it time for GM to issue a recall? Please let me know if anyone had this condition and it was fixed or any updates to this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Well, I've been bitten by the torque converter bug. Absolutely terrible condition that feels like my '16 Stingray is going to sling me out of the car any minute. I've taken it to the dealer who flushed the tranny 3 times but it didn't fix a thing. Now I have to wait a week for the parts and who knows how long it will take to actually fix the problem. It looks like this issue has been going on since day one. Isn't it time for GM to issue a recall? Please let me know if anyone had this condition and it was fixed or any updates to this issue. Thanks.
Oh, that is really sad news. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The TC issue in this thread has reared its ugly head in my 2016 C7, A8 with a little over 7,000 miles. Took it in at 7,571 mile. Dealer flushed the transmission mission 3 times but it did not fix the issue. Did GM fix the problem "Tuner Boost"? No update on this thread since 2014. Is GM listening? Need suggestions on dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
The TC issue in this thread has reared its ugly head in my 2016 C7, A8 with a little over 7,000 miles. Took it in at 7,571 mile. Dealer flushed the transmission mission 3 times but it did not fix the issue. Did GM fix the problem "Tuner Boost"? No update on this thread since 2014. Is GM listening? Need suggestions on dealing with this issue.
Document everything. Make sure you get this resolved before you run out of warranty. Pressure the situation, and let GM know, in writing, that you need help. Work for a solution with them, but, like I said, document everything just in case it does not get fixed. You want to make sure you have all of your information organized if you ever have to go the buy-back (or lemon law) route. Hopefully GM corporate will get involved and get it totally fixed so it will never come to that. I am sure you know of the saying "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

·
18,667 Posts
I am sorry your problems are occurring. I would return to your dealer, gently explain that what they did last time has not worked, and they need to fix this, to succeed this time.

In your "hip pocket," if they do not, I would next recommend you proceed to exactly follow the procedures outlined in your Owners Manual, sections 13.1-13.3.

We all hope that this is not necessary, that they fix it right this next time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ronjon, I had a torque converter problem on my 2015 Stingray A8, with 3400 miles. I had the familiar symptoms, bouncing tach, running over rumble strips feeling, etc etc. The dealer service I purchased it from said, after a test drive, "that's just the AFM working". I could immediately tell they were unable or unwilling to solve this issue. I called Stingray Chevrolet, a 50 mile drive from me, took it there and their service manager barely got out of the parking lot and returned stating that I needed a torque converter. They repaired the car in less than a week I have had zero problems since. They sell about one Corvette a day so they do a lot of service work. My repair happened in May of this year. I wish you luck repairing your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2015 - 2017 Corvette: Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Between 25 and 80 mp

Currently have 7,751. I need about 20 more miles to complete the recommended requirement. I'm not that technical but I think my dealer has done the steps specified in the TSB. Now I am waiting on the dealer to call me when he gets the parts. My dealer did the road test with the PICO scope(???) and flushed the tranny according to TSB 16-NA-175.

·
Registered
60 Posts
elegant, rdslon01, and vetstings, thanks for your responses. I will, most definitely, follow your suggestions. I bought my vette from Stingray but didn't want to drive it that far. Autonation was recommended by several vette owners so they have the first shot. When I took it in they seemed o know it was the TC. It was confirmed by the PICO test. I sure hope they are right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, get this: they finally decided to replace the TC but in doing so, the tranny fell off the cradle it was supported on, so I got a 'new' tranny because they cracked the housing. Not sure how 'new' as it does not shift correctly. When cold or when accelerating quickly, the engine speeds up but does not go into the next gear right away. Then when it does engage you get a good jolt. First vette was a 63, I think this is my last. Love the car, hate the service and the run-around. Have had other issues, they tell me that they needed to reflash the memory, which does not work,. A sad ending to fun times.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Well, get this: they finally decided to replace the TC but in doing so, the tranny fell off the cradle it was supported on, so I got a 'new' tranny because they cracked the housing. Not sure how 'new' as it does not shift correctly. When cold or when accelerating quickly, the engine speeds up but does not go into the next gear right away. Then when it does engage you get a good jolt. First vette was a 63, I think this is my last. Love the car, hate the service and the run-around. Have had other issues, they tell me that they needed to reflash the memory, which does not work,. A sad ending to fun times.
I feel your pain, ken. I am also disappointed with my first and maybe my only Corvette. Reliability has been poor and GM's attitude leaves a lot to be desired. My car was in the shop for over 30 days with fuel delivery and tranny issues. I've never experienced this with any car I have owned in my life. Hopefully your tranny will improve as it "learns". Good luck, my friend.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It would appear our C7 has developed this issue at approx. 8,200 miles. Many thanks for posting this TSB , as it will make things easier when I take the car in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took the car in two weeks ago for the shudder and rpm fluctuation problems. The tech and I took it for a test run and it shuddered and the rpm fluctuated. I was in the passenger seat and was able to observe that the fluctuation corresponded with the shudder. I left the car for diagnostics, expecting that the triple flush of the torque converter would be the solution. Not so. Bowling Green told them the torque converter was the problem and to replace it. That is major surgery as the rear bumper is removed and the rear drivetrain is completely removed and put on a bench. Not only does the car now have a new torque converter, it also has new bolts to hold it together and a new cable running to the gear shifter. I suspect the torque converter is a new vintage, i.e. part number. The tech drove it for 50 miles to check it out and all went well. I have it back and it is running better than ever. Thanks to the team at Parks Chevrolet of Augusta for solving the mystery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took the car in two weeks ago for the shudder and rpm fluctuation problems. The tech and I took it for a test run and it shuddered and the rpm fluctuated. I was in the passenger seat and was able to observe that the fluctuation corresponded with the shudder. I left the car for diagnostics, expecting that the triple flush of the torque converter would be the solution. Not so. Bowling Green told them the torque converter was the problem and to replace it. That is major surgery as the rear bumper is removed and the rear drivetrain is completely removed and put on a bench. Not only does the car now have a new torque converter, it also has new bolts to hold it together and a new cable running to the gear shifter. I suspect the torque converter is a new vintage, i.e. part number. The tech drove it for 50 miles to check it out and all went well. I have it back and it is running better than ever. Thanks to the team at Parks Chevrolet of Augusta for solving the mystery.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I am going to change/flush my tranny fluid next month. THIS is handy and timely will advise I want this TSB performed to make sure all of the GM fluid is gone then add my Amsoil.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Update :

Got the car back last night, after having the transmission flushed as per 16-NA-175. Had a quick chat with the Tech ( wanted to make sure he got a few $ as gratitude) & he said to drive at least 300 miles before deciding if the car needed further work or diagnostics.
It could be my imagination, but the C7 seemed to shift much slicker in manual mode on the drive home & I didn't experience any tell- tale shudders. Too early to say it's fixed, but quietly confident that the fluid change might be all that is needed for this C7.

·
Registered
60 Posts
UPDATE: Got my C7 back the other day with a new TC. The ride home was much smother with the new TC. I don't really know if I got a redesigned TC or just not another TC. If it was just another TC I expect the terrible shutter to reappear in another 7,000 to 8,000 miles. I'm probably a little paranoid having the shutter demon because every little road vibration makes me think the shutter demon is raring its ugly head. It's pretty hard driving with my finger crossed hoping I never feel that demons presence the rest of my life.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts