Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Tough road course ending for this C7 and a C6

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  andrews_c7 
#1 ·
A fun day of Texas Motor Speedway road course racing today turned sour for the owners of these Corvettes. The C7 drove off under its own power with obvious front fascia, front fender, and door damage. The C6 had to be towed away. Fortunately, no one was physically injured in the accident.

Transport Architecture Building Vehicle Tourism

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Performance car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Performance car

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel

See less See more
#3 ·
The road course was available to us on Saturday as part of the Lone Star Corvette Classic weekend. From what I understand, everyone was supposed to be exiting the course at the time of the accident. There was no passing allowed on this part of the course, so the accident wasn't a result of someone trying to pass. Evidently, the C7 driver made a last second decision to exit instead of heading around the track one more time at the same time as the Z06 was making a proper exit. The C7 driver quickly swerved toward the exit, hitting the Z06 as he was properly exiting. Interestingly, the two drivers are a father and son. The father was driving the C7 and the son was driving the Z06.

#6 ·
In either case I don't think it will matter. To the best of my knowledge, the insurance is null while the car is on the racing surface. At least that is the case for racing and HPDE with policies that I am aware. I have heard if there is an instructor in the car you're covered...but I have also heard this is coming to a screeching halt with most or all policies. There are companies that will sell insurance for HPDE on an event by event basis. Cost is about $400 +/- depending on the value of the car. Deductibles are high...like $10k would not be unheard of. Parade laps I'm not sure, but I THINK the answer is the insurance is null. Anyway, it would be a real stretch for this to be called a parade lap.

#7 ·
The Z06 was mine and the C7 was my dads. What was said above about what happened is correct. We trailered the C7 home as it was still driveable. The damage wasn't too severe. Just some body panels and an upper control arm. My Z06 on the other hand was taken to LG MotorSports the day after this happened. Sad to say but the car was declared a total loss as the frame is twisted and actually snapped in more than one place. I will be making the trip back to dallas shortly to pick and bring home. Not sure what we will do with the components of the car that we can save but perhaps they will fit nicely into an upcoming pro touring build.

Oh and insurance is a negative for both cars because of the track situation.. Oops.

#9 ·
So sorry to hear about your Z06 being a total loss. Man, that just hurts to hear, especially with the insurance situation. Hang in there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.