Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TPMS False Alarms

2015 Z51 with ~22k mikes under a zero-deductible extended warranty. My right-front TPMS (and only the right-front) goes off sporadically (anything from multiple days in a row to a week or so between alerts). The warning shows "--" for tire pressure. After a random amount of time (anything from a few minutes to after I shut off the car in the parking garage and restart after the workday), the tire pressure reading returns to normal pressure (30-32 PSI if the tires are warm). It's been in the dealer a couple of times, at least one of which they changed the sensor. The only commonality I can find is that it occurs after I've run several miles at highway speeds, get off at an exit, then drive and lower speeds. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,429 Posts
Not seen this before. Since they changed the sensor, a bum sensor battery is ruled out. Maybe something related to the receiver?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Jeff's suggestion is the most logical next step.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Soon after I picked up my 2017 Grand Sport I experienced that exact problem with the right front TPMS. I was driving back from the NCM and contacted OnStar and asked them to run a diagnostic. I was told the RF tire pressure was 30psi, but that I showed an ABS error. I had no such indicator on the dash, so I continued driving and about three minutes later the TPMS returned to normal. I called back and the ABS error was gone. This happened three times on the way to California, clearing itself within 3-5 minutes. Each time, OnStar diagnostic showed an ABS error and after the TPMS began working the ABS error was gone on a follow-up diagnostic request. My dealer could find no error codes.

About a year later the same thing happened again along with an ABS error on an OnStar diagnostic. It cleared itself within a few minutes.

I recently changed to my new track wheels/tires that have their own TPMSs. The computer read the new TPMSs as soon as I was out of range of my street wheels, but on the way to the track about an hour or so later, I got the exact same error with the same diagnostics and the same return to normal. It happens once each time I change wheels, usually an hour or more after I start driving.

I think it must be a communication error between the TPMS transmitter and the receiver. Because it happens with different TPMSs, I suspect the receiver is the culprit. It is somehow causing a false ABS error code to be thrown, also.

My dealer hasn’t been able to figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had it happen on a road trip last summer. Was heading north on Rt 85 in VA and suddenly the right TPMS went off the map. Pulled over, checked the pressure manually and it was right on the money @ 31lbs. Got back in and my dash lights were funky AND the TPMS was still at "--". Figured, Oh well", another gremlin. About 30 miles later I noticed both the TPMS & the dash lights were back to normal.

Oh well, another gremlin. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OP rotate the front tires. If the error occurs at same location, then it is a receiver issue. If the error moves to the other tire it is a TPMS issue at that wheel. HTH

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
OP rotate the front tires. If the error occurs at same location, then it is a receiver issue. If the error moves to the other tire it is a TPMS issue at that wheel. HTH
You beat me to it.

Reminds me of the old joke about the four carpooling computer repair technicians. Suddenly their car starts handling badly and they hear a "thwop thwop thwop " sound from under the car. They pull over, and conclude they must have a flat tire.....but which one is flat?

They decide to put their spare tire on each of the four wheel positions, and when the sound goes away, they know that tire was the flat one.

Reactions: West Ham Utd
1 - 7 of 7 Posts