Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my name is Phil and I live in Pleasanton, CA. Like many others I am in line for a Z06 once they become orderable. Years ago I drove my first Corvette. It was a white on black 1968 427/435 HP. The asking price was $3500 (as near as I can remember). I was scouring the car ads looking for my first car. I had saved up some money and it was one of those Saturday morning father son things. The owner was traveling but his wife let us take the car for a test drive. When I stomped on the gas and it bolted in first gear my dad looked over at me and said "no way". I will always remember that day. The car was a beast. The torque was awesome but yes admittedly it would have been trouble for me as a teenager.

So here it is years (and years) later and I am now in line for my first Corvette. I love sports cars. Besides the fun that they can provide I now have a greater appreciation for the engineering and performance and how that has changed over time. I look at the new Corvettes and see a big improvement in fit and finish and although I am a manual shift guy I look upon the new 8-speed automatic transmission with great anticipation. I also love the path and direction GM is taking the car visa vie the electronics and driver information.

Now like many of you, I have comparison shopped other sports cars. I love the idea that an American company can now compare so favorably to some of the foreign marque brands. Yes, it seems as though there may be a few some problems here and there but fundamentally it looks as though GM has taken a huge positive leap forward with the C7.

I love seeing all the discussions of colors and options and the enthusiasm of this forums members. It is also fun to see how many owners pictures include their spouses or significant others. If some of the pictures don't embody "life is good" I don't know what does.

I look forward to making a few postings of my own and wish everyone good heath and happiness,
Phil

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Welcome Phil, this a great forum to be a part of and to participate. I loved your father son comment/moment. I once told my son when he was in his early 20's the same thing. He was fresh out of college and test driving a Mazda speed 3 and had brought me along to help with negotiations. When he hit the gas and entered the highway I looked over and said you're going to kill yourself if you get this car! He actually listened to me and passed on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Elegant and Tom0021 for the warm welcome. Glad to be a part of such a fun group.
All the best,
Phil

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Phil, from another Bay Area resident!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
trackguy, welcome aboard! I read that your in the SF area, when your Z06 is available take your salesman for a ride in it. You can re-inact that classic 1968 movie with Steve McQueen "Bullitt" I can vision the chopper footage now on the six oclock news, Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z06 tearing up the streets of SF!! Never mind you have a 500 mile break in period limited to 4500rpm. Enjoy the forum it only gets better!

SF
Rick

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Welcome to our forum Phil aka trackguy! Glad to have you here.:cool:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Phil
Welcome to the forum and that was a great story. I'm glad my dad didn't go with me when I test drove my first Corvette at the age of 19 or I would have never bought it.
I was in Pleasanton last weekend and I saw an arctic white vert cruising up from the Sunol exit area. We were going the same direction for a while so I was able to admire it from the rear. It sure was a sweet Vette with a great sound! I can't wait for April 9th to get here for my museum delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick -

Congratulations on the Red/Black C7! Thank you for the warm welcome. Love that movie. That would be pretty wild! Probably would end up smashing the splitter on one of the infamous SF manhole covers. Yes, the break period is going to force a road trip!

All the best,
Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ken -

That is too funny, these father son things forge life time memories. But heck he had drive me to see it so I was stuck I couldn't not take him. I haven't seen any C7's in and around P-town yet. Will let you know.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to our forum Phil aka trackguy! Glad to have you here.:cool:
Thank you jsvette.
Looks like you got one of the earliest that I have heard of. Love the configuration. I read about the museum delivery and it was quite intriguing. What all did that entail for you? Do you recommend it and what was special about it? I wasn't sure how it works for taking delivery out side of your home state in regards to registration. But it did seem like a great way to put break-in miles on the car just by driving it home.

Warm regards,
Phil

·
18,670 Posts
I read about the museum delivery and it was quite intriguing. What all did that entail for you? Do you recommend it and what was special about it? I wasn't sure how it works for taking delivery out side of your home state in regards to registration. But it did seem like a great way to put break-in miles on the car just by driving it home. Phil
Here's somelinks with more info on Museum Delivery.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-purchasing/1703-details-museum-delivery.html

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/2832-museum-delivery-question.html

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/2324-museum-delivery.html

And, from the National Corvette Museum's web site, the program explanation. Note, please, the underlined sections, below the centered title with more info/options!

National Corvette Museum - Museum Delivery

We loved Museum Delivery on our C6 Z06 and if our '15 Z is not delivered in winter, will excitedly do it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts