Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know magnetic ride has been talked about endlessly across many threads, but I want to get thoughts from folks on how they like that changing driving mode changes the magnetic suspension. Reason I ask is the mode changes other factors too and given that I might want all the benefits of track mode for "non track" use but without the extra stiffening of suspension, I'm think that the z51 suspension might suit me well vs mrc. At least based on folks write ups who have driven both. Curious on everyone's take who doesn't take their car to track before I pull the trigger on this stingray I found but without mrc. Thanks and can't wait to be driving a stingray.

·
18,669 Posts
Good question, one endlessly debated here previously. My take and there are those who disagree with me, is:

The base car has great suspension, cornering 1.0 G. True a Z-51 will corner about 10% greater (about 1.1 G depending on who tests it and how much courage they have to corner that fast), is that most of us will never get to 1.0 G, let alone 1.1 G (the latter never with my wonderful -- no sarcasm, wife in the car). The base car, on smooth pavement will give you a great smooth sports car ride (exceeding 99% of all other cars out there).

The Z-51 without the MSRC is a firmer sprung car, and personally would not buy one without the Z-51 suspension. However, it is more firmly sprung -- needs repeating. If you have great/smooth roads, like a firm ride, it is perfect (heck, I have an even more firmly sprung C6 Z06 without MSRP and we drive cross country and enjoy our rides -- except, bluntly, not those thankfully-short patches of horrible pavement when, without MSRC, it can get irritating after a while). Have friends in Florida who have Z-51's without MSRC and it works really well for them on Florida's much-better-than-average paved roads.

Z-51 with MSRC works really well and calms down really bad pavement. It allows you to adjust, within a 56% variance, the softness or smoothness of your ride. Hard to say more, not knowing your style of driving, your pavement quality, nor how firm your like your ride.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elegant. Good points. My last "sports car" was a 2004 350z. I liked pushing it hard and I can deal with a harsher ride on crap pavement. Of course it would be nice to get the best of both worlds and I think you are saying mrc would give me that but I'd have to be in the right mode to get the stiffness I want. My concern is that say I want to unleash everything about track mode besides an extra stiff suspension with mrc bc I'm driving it hard on some roads that can go from smooth to bad. Should that be a concern with mrc vs z51 suspension?

·
18,669 Posts
We do not get to independently set our MSRC settings different from our Driver mode selector (DMS) settings. When you are in track mode, your MSRC will be set to its firmest setting. When you are in tour mode, it will be in the softest setting -- again a 56% firmness difference between the softest and the firmest setting. Here's a chart that will help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe one can override the mode settings by selecting MSRC to be either firm or soft in every driving mode.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe one can override the mode settings by selecting MSRC to be either firm or soft in every driving mode.

Thanks. That's exactly what I am trying to confirm. Can we put it in track mode or sport mode but give it a soft setting, and #2 is the msrc at its stiffest setting stiffer than the z51 suspension?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I don't know for sure whether you can select which suspension mode applies to which drive mode so I wouldn't take that to the bank. Someone who has a Z51 with MRSC needs to chime in or I will in a couple weeks when I get mine.

However, in track mode using PTM mode 2 you get the benefit of track suspension and steering with stabilitrack still active. This would essentially be sport mode with track suspension and steering (which you can adjust).

I believe far too much emphasis is placed on MRSC's effect on suspension stiffness, that's a relatively small component of what helps a car get around a track faster. What MRSC really gets you is exceptional wheel control, something that companies like Ferrari are willing to license to get that capability.

I'm not buying it for ride stiffness, I'm buying it for all the other things it brings to the table and IMHO it's far more important for spirited real world road work than pure track work. I can dial in an "analog" suspension for the track where you know the conditions. Doing that on the road is next to impossible, MRSC lets you dial it in on the fly and compensates in real time as conditions change, that's HUGE.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks mjw. I look at it this way from what I know of mrsc. If it reads the road every millisecond and changes the setting within 15 ms that likely won't help me on inconsistent roadways. For example, if most of the road is good and flat but some little pot holes and waves mixed in, even mrsc would not be able to change in a quick enough time span to handle that intermittent wave in the road or small pothole. Your car going over a 1 ft odd surface at even 40mph happens in 1.7 ms. So even if you had 10ft of an inconsistent road, mrsc still would NOT dampen correctly to handle it and by the time you get past that 10 ft and are on good pavement again it will need to redampen for a flat surface. From that math alone I do not see how mrsc helps anyone in regular spirited road driving unless I have a good stretch of a very consistent bad road. Now pmt for the track is a different story.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have MSRC on my Z51. Seems I saw a setting to put it on Track Mode all the time, but I will have to check on that -- my doubt comes from the fact that there seems to be THREE MSRC settings: Touring, Sport and Track.

I have my steering locked in Track for all driving modes and my instruments locked in Sport Mode across the board.

To me, the ability to run the suspension in Sport Mode with the occasional shift to Touring on bad roads is worth every penny.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Thanks mjw. I look at it this way from what I know of mrsc. If it reads the road every millisecond and changes the setting within 15 ms that likely won't help me on inconsistent roadways. For example, if most of the road is good and flat but some little pot holes and waves mixed in, even mrsc would not be able to change in a quick enough time span to handle that intermittent wave in the road or small pothole. Your car going over a 1 ft odd surface at even 40mph happens in 1.7 ms. So even if you had 10ft of an inconsistent road, mrsc still would NOT dampen correctly to handle it and by the time you get past that 10 ft and are on good pavement again it will need to redampen for a flat surface. From that math alone I do not see how mrsc helps anyone in regular spirited road driving unless I have a good stretch of a very consistent bad road. Now pmt for the track is a different story.
Actually, at 40 mph you cover 1 foot every 16.9ms, not 1.7ms. 40 mph = 59 fps = 0.0169 seconds/foot or 16.9ms/ft.

Now, understand MRSC can adjust in 1ms, or 16 times per foot at 40 mph. When you factor in the time it takes to accelerate and decelerate the unstrung weight of the suspension the current generation MRSC has not trouble managing the suspension movements at any speed the C7 can attain.

This video is a system 2 generations younger than the one in the C7, trust me, it works.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for fixing my math. That is something I'm usually good at : ) The way chevy defines it is mrc reads the road every ms, and can change dampening between 10-15ms. So about every foot at 40mph. I get your point though. It works and from what I see is loved by lots of c7 owners. I don't think if I have it I'll complain, but listening to the few folks who drove each with and without mrc, most also love their z51 suspension. Again, if I can select track mode but keep mrc in touring, then it's a no brainer for me if I don't factor in cost of replacement, sensor issues and all that junk. Now I would just need to find one with options and color I want with 2LT/3lt z51 with npp in cyber gray, black or night blue, and for less than $70k..and hopefully nearby. Considered ordering but don't want summer to go by without loving on this car. Which would bring me to ask should I just wait and order a 2015...I don't think so...

·
Registered
11 Posts

If that is so, I would like to know how you do that. I am not aware of this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The base car has great suspension, cornering 1.0 G. True a Z-51 will corner about 10% greater (about 1.1 G depending on who tests it and how much courage they have to corner that fast), is that most of us will never get to 1.0 G, let alone 1.1 G (the latter never with my wonderful -- no sarcasm, wife in the car). The base car, on smooth pavement will give you a great smooth sports car ride (exceeding 99% of all other cars out there).

The Z-51 without the MSRC is a firmer sprung car, and personally would not buy one without the Z-51 suspension. However, it is more firmly sprung -- needs repeating. .
Here's a hybrid solution that will save you a lot of money if you really don't need the Z51 features or cost...
I added Z51 Anti-roll bars and Shocks to my base suspension (for about $600) and it is doing everything I want and need. Slightly firm, yet NOT as firm as a Z51 due to the softer springing and Higher profile tires. Handles and feels great with excellent suspension communication , turn-in, Bump control etc. yet excellent smooth surface ride. I like the consistency of knowing how the car will feel in any drive mode. Considering the Z51 package cost and discounts available on the base car I'm $5200 to the good with the suspension I want. Works for me!

I don't believe MRC can be set independently of drive mode. This was covered in depth on another forum..

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a Z51 with MRC.. That is the best possible combination. I had my last Vette without the MRC and the ride was awful compared to the ride and control with MRC!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't had a chance to check my Stingray since reading this topic. The weather has been nice so I've been playing with my other cars. I will play around in the SETTINGS menu later this afternoon and report back when able. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts