Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my C8 through Criswell Chevy in Maryland. I live in San Diego but the car will be delivered to La Quinta, CA (Palm Springs). The car has been shipped but I am told there is no way to track the date of delivery.

Does anyone know of a way to track delivery of the car? Neither Criswell or the La Quinta dealer seems to know how to do it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I purchased my C8 through Criswell Chevy in Maryland. I live in San Diego but the car will be delivered to La Quinta, CA (Palm Springs). The car has been shipped but I am told there is no way to track the date of delivery.

Does anyone know of a way to track delivery of the car? Neither Criswell or the La Quinta dealer seems to know how to do it.
Are they beginners at those dealerships? Have they never ordered/delivered a single Corvette, or are they just blowing you off?

The dealership can track your car's progress through their GM Workbench. That will show codes for where the car is in the build process, as well as where the car physically is located.

The C7s went from Bowling Green to Toledo on a truck, and then from Toledo to CA on a train. Again, the GM Workbench will show where your car is, and, if it is on a train, what the train container number is.

Using that number, you can call to get extremely precise location information about where the train was (usually within the last few hours) in its various stops and side rails.

In addition, the invoice will have a date for which you should expect your car to be delivered to the local dealership.

This is all very easy to do, if your dealer's employees have any experience in this area at all, or, if they do really know what they are doing, then if they are willing to tell you the truth and help you.

There are multiple threads on here about how to do the above, but it all starts with some worker at the dealership sending updates to you from the GM Workbench showing the information you need.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Here is one of those threads to which I was referring above:

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Here is some information about the route from Bowling Green to the Toledo railyards which were used for the C7. Is the C8 also using the same route?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Okay, I also found a thread where I posted while mine was being transported from Toledo to NorCal.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Read posts #32 and #33 here:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Post #3 gives one example of what a printout from GM Workbench looks like. The "Event Description" field gives a status code and description.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
In GM Workbench, there is an option for the dealership worker to give a history of the Event/status codes. Here are the two pages of mine from back in 2016:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for this info. I have waited 18 months since I placed my order May '19. With such incredible design tools (visualizer) and all the on line support, it seems INCREDIBLE that they haven't figured out how to track a car when you can track a Fed Ex package to it's exact location.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
There was a lot of good information in the Event Code printouts which I received (I received multiple updates similar to the one above, where, with each successive printout the dealership emailed to me, there was more information than the previous update).

Here are a few things to note:

1) The lines are not always in chronological order. So, don't look for the last line. Look for the latest "Effective Date" and latest "Timestamp".

2) Note that on 02/03/2016 that the car got booked on a rail transport carrier (ETTX 701602). The following day, the car took a ride on a Jack Cooper transport Truck from Bowling Green to Toledo.

3) The timestamp on 02/09/2016 at 04:36:18 shows that the rail car had already pulled out from Toledo. It was moving at that point.

At that point, you can use the phone to track it as detailed in one of the posts above.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Last thing: get the invoice. Then look for an entry like this (it will be in the right-hand column):

EXP I/T MM/DD/YY

Where MM/DD/YY will be two digits each to tell you the month/day/year of when to expect the car to arrive at the dealership.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I assume it will be delivered to a dealer you could ask them. Im doing the same from a dealer in South Carolia.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Friends, FWIW my understanding is that there is a new system the dealers can access called VIN view. Supposedly it might (??) actually track the car? My dealer is not experienced with this (app?) and is not certain it "pings" the car (On Star?) or if it simply picks up the most recent location information somebody else (the Railroad? GM?) obtained.

The VIN view information I've seen gives an ETA and an "arrival window". "Our" C8 is reported to be in Toledo with an ETA in Denver of the 18th and the arrival window between the 16th and 20th. My guess is that's arrival at either the dealer's lot or the rail yard where the car will be unloaded.

Curious if any of you can confirm (or not) any of what I'm reporting here! rgds, bob

·
Registered
2 Posts

Friends, FWIW my understanding is that there is a new system the dealers can access called VIN view. Supposedly it might (??) actually track the car? My dealer is not experienced with this (app?) and is not certain it "pings" the car (On Star?) or if it simply picks up the most recent location information somebody else (the Railroad? GM?) obtained.

The VIN view information I've seen gives an ETA and an "arrival window". "Our" C8 is reported to be in Toledo with an ETA in Denver of the 18th and the arrival window between the 16th and 20th. My guess is that's arrival at either the dealer's lot or the rail yard where the car will be unloaded.

Curious if any of you can confirm (or not) any of what I'm reporting here! rgds, bob
My understanding is VIN View can track the vehicle once it leaves BG to the dealership. Wayne

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is it your understanding, Wayne, that On Star is used for each / every individual car? Or perhaps each train "carload" of cars is tracked?

Of course we don't "need" to know; but we'd like to know! Thanks! bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To All on this post, I appreciate your input. It is clear that although the the process to design and order the car is A+, they have completely dropped the ball regarding delivery. F-
Here is what I did. I FINALLY got the GM Workbench Report. It wasn't as detailed as the previous one posted but it did list that it was shipped from Kansas to Mira Loma, CA. It also projected delivery as 2/10/21. A little searching brought up that Mira Loma is a main hub for all vehicles being shipped on the West Coast. This location is 85 miles from my delivery location of La Quinta, CA.
With that info, I then called On Star and had them ping the car. Within minutes she confirmed that the car was indeed in Mira Loma. But from there, I am stuck. The dealership in La Quinta says that they get no advanced notice on deliveries and that "they show up, when they show up." Amazing that you can track a Fed ex to the foot and Chevy can't track a C8.
I am going to wait until Monday and if still no answer will ping the car again. However, there is evidence that you should not ping the car to many times as it can affect battery.
I have waited 18 months for my car and assume that when I get it, all will be forgotten. But really painful to be in this spot so close to the goal line.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Life in the C8 Corvette Lane. I’m waiting for mine to be released dealer had some of their allocation released just need 2 more & I’m a happy camper

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
To All on this post, I appreciate your input. It is clear that although the the process to design and order the car is A+, they have completely dropped the ball regarding delivery. F-
Here is what I did. I FINALLY got the GM Workbench Report. It wasn't as detailed as the previous one posted but it did list that it was shipped from Kansas to Mira Loma, CA. It also projected delivery as 2/10/21. A little searching brought up that Mira Loma is a main hub for all vehicles being shipped on the West Coast. This location is 85 miles from my delivery location of La Quinta, CA.
With that info, I then called On Star and had them ping the car. Within minutes she confirmed that the car was indeed in Mira Loma. But from there, I am stuck. The dealership in La Quinta says that they get no advanced notice on deliveries and that "they show up, when they show up." Amazing that you can track a Fed ex to the foot and Chevy can't track a C8.
I am going to wait until Monday and if still no answer will ping the car again. However, there is evidence that you should not ping the car to many times as it can affect battery.
I have waited 18 months for my car and assume that when I get it, all will be forgotten. But really painful to be in this spot so close to the goal line.
Get the selling dealership to send the invoice to you. Look for the line "EXP I/T MM/DD/YY" where MM/DD/YY will tell you the month/day/year of when to expect the car to arrive at the dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sadly, as I'm sure you all know, Corvette production was halted (due to lack of parts) last week and this week beginning February 8. Good luck to us!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts