Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Does the head liner with suction cups have a reflective material on the top-facing surface?
No.... I'm pretty sure it doesn't. They want to keep it as much invisible from the outside as possible. With 10 suction cups and a reflective material I'm pretty sure it would be quite visible.

I will let you know later today. UPS tracking states "out for delivery"!:cool:

·
Administrator
15,019 Posts
Why not use the suction cup interior head lining that they are making now for that roof? There is a thread on the forums where to order one. If I can find it again I'll link it.

CPL Mo USMC Vet
I chose the dot matrix static cling film because it rejects at least 75% if the solar heat (actually with it I feel no solar heat transmitted) and because it still allows some light through into the cabin which I prefer to a totally dark roof panel. Its personal preference. Also some might chose the dot matrix film because it is so inexpensive compared to other options. Also I like my radar detector affixed to the very front of the panel and you can not do that with any of the suction cup reflective or solid panel covers, but you can still do it with the dot matrix by cutting a slit in the film to allow the suction cup to adhere to the panel. :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's perfect SF.
I'll meet you down here, give you and install the sunshade on your transparent top, pay you cash for the solid top that you brought with you and we will both be on our way! Well, that is just a thought but if that doesn't fly.... let me give you a little tip....
If your are coming down here in the Summer.... use your solid top!! Just read this whole thread. It is brutal with the trans. top and why mess with the suction-cup sunshade when you don't have to?:confused:

JMHO
I spent 35 years in So FLA, I don't know how I survived.................I know, AC in Car, in Ofc, in Home and in anywhere else I had to go, except fishing & the beach(didn't get there much, but should have, it's 400 miles away now.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well.... got it yesterday. This thing is awesome! It's like I own both tops for only $140 extra.;)
Held up with 12 suction cups, and you really have to look hard to see them from the outside. I took off the roof panel, set it on carpet, cleaned the inside surface and set it in place. DONE! PERFECT FIT! Looks factory installed. You can not tell this from a normal headliner. They stitched the edges perfectly, added padding so it has a nice cushy feel and needless to say.... it blocks out the heat! Well worth the money. And easy.... no cutting and fitting any stick-on overlays. Plus it will block heat better as it is cool to the touch due to the thickness and padding, overlays still get hot.

I should have taken some before pics to show the s. cups, but here is the pic from the website, little hard to see. Will take some later.
sunshade.JPG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad you like it, Only a few more days left of free shipping and special pricing!

DSV Custom Transparent roof shade for C7 Corvette clear top [DSV-C7-Shade] - $139.99 : The Double AA, Corvette and Camaro Modification Products

Well.... got it yesterday. This thing is awesome! It's like I own both tops for only $140 extra.;)
Held up with 12 suction cups, and you really have to look hard to see them from the outside. I took off the roof panel, set it on carpet, cleaned the inside surface and set it in place. DONE! PERFECT FIT! Looks factory installed. You can not tell this from a normal headliner. They stitched the edges perfectly, added padding so it has a nice cushy feel and needless to say.... it blocks out the heat! Well worth the money. And easy.... no cutting and fitting any stick-on overlays. Plus it will block heat better as it is cool to the touch due to the thickness and padding, overlays still get hot.

I should have taken some before pics to show the s. cups, but here is the pic from the website, little hard to see. Will take some later.
View attachment 7687

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Glad you like it, Only a few more days left of free shipping and special pricing!
Oh yes Andrew.... I forgot to mention "Thank you" to you! This is quality made, well designed and a great price as well.

Just a thought.... put a info sheet inside the package to let buyers know about cleaning the roof first, how to set it in place for correct alignment and suction cup adhesion, care instructions, etc.

Thanks again for the "forums special" and a great product!

Mark D.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I received mine yesterday as well! Perfect fit and looks like it came from the factory. First I cleaned inside of roof with Plexus cleaner. Afterwards, I fitted the shade perfectly. It looks like a factory option. Perfect!! Very happy and feel much cooler when driving. Will keep on until probable the end of October...The best of both worlds!!

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Andrew6, why not make the top surface (the one facing the suction cups) out of a reflective material?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Andrew6, why not make the top surface (the one facing the suction cups) out of a reflective material?
Rodney....
I really don't think that would be necessary. I think the heat that would get generated between the roof and the shade may be too much for the suction cups to handle. Besides, you won't believe how much cooler it is inside as it is. JMHO :)

The only thing I would tell anybody to add would be a good windshield sun shade, if the Vette is going to be out in the sun for any length of time.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Rodney....
I really don't think that would be necessary. I think the heat that would get generated between the roof and the shade may be too much for the suction cups to handle. Besides, you won't believe how much cooler it is inside as it is. JMHO :)

The only thing I would tell anybody to add would be a good windshield sun shade, if the Vette is going to be out in the sun for any length of time.
Hi Mark JD,

That is exactly my concern. Without some reflective material on the top side of the headliner, I would expect the area trapped between the roof and the headliner to get very, very hot. That is the area where the suction cups are, and I wonder if they would start to deform after a while in such heat.

You know, black absorbs sunlight and gets really, really hot. A reflective material would keep the top of the headliner cooler, I think.

Of course, the bottom of the headliner (the part you see from inside the car) would need to say black so it would match with the interior.

Just thinking out loud here, but would love to get a response from Andrew6.

·
Registered
181 Posts
not sure it would be needed I guess the main reason is the vettes are a bit lower than larger vehicles and this can reflect the sun back into the eyes of truck drivers or something?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does it affect how the top fits on the rack when it is out?
I don't think so, It adheres to the glass part of the top and this is pretty close to the stock non glass top fitment. The top locks in via the crows style feet on the side and locking point on the back which this piece would not interfere with any of those locations.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hi Mark JD,

That is exactly my concern. Without some reflective material on the top side of the headliner, I would expect the area trapped between the roof and the headliner to get very, very hot. That is the area where the suction cups are, and I wonder if they would start to deform after a while in such heat.

You know, black absorbs sunlight and gets really, really hot. A reflective material would keep the top of the headliner cooler, I think.

Of course, the bottom of the headliner (the part you see from inside the car) would need to say black so it would match with the interior.

Just thinking out loud here, but would love to get a response from Andrew6.
Interesting take Rodney. Not sure which would be better or worse. They may just be equal. All I know is that my cockpit is much cooler now and as I get more into our hot weather down here we will learn more. Time will tell. But what I do know is that I am pretty satisfied so far for 140 bucks!:cool:

·
Administrator
15,019 Posts
Not sure what is meant by "overlays still get hot"? The dot matrix static cling film I put on RedHot (see earlier post) fully blocks perceptible solar heat transmission and does not feel warm when you touch it (at least not after driving for several hours in 95 to 100 degree ambient temperatures). As I mentioned earlier, I actually run the interior temp 1 degree warmer than before mounting the film due to its efficiency.:cool:

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
All I know is that my cockpit is much cooler now and as I get more into our hot weather down here we will learn more.
Mark JD, indeed, I am certain it is much cooler in your cockpit now! Some day, if you don't mind, when your car has been in the hot sun for a while, would you please check the area where the suction cups are located and see how hot it is getting up there? Thank you very much!

-Rodney

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Today was my actual first test of the sunshade. Drove 25 miles to the golf course, sat in sun for 5 hours, 25 miles back home. 88 degrees, full sun. FANTASTIC!!! Much, much cooler.

But here is something no one has mentioned.....I just discovered an additional feature of this SunShade!:eek: BONUS!!
It seams to have made the cockpit much quieter inside! Now, I have no means of actual proof of this, no DB measurements or such, but it seamed noticeably quieter! It may be my imagination, but for a 62 year old that also drives a 2014 XTS Cadillac my sense of sound while driving is pretty good.:)

JMHO

41 - 60 of 99 Posts