Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a sales consultant at Wallace Chevrolet in Stuart, FL. I have delivered 5 Vettes and in spite of the recommendation to give the cover to the customer to use as a cover, I am strongly against this recommendation.

My reason is this cover is made of stiff material and every Vette that has been delivered at our dealership has been full of very sharp edged stone chips that are picked up during intransport to our facility.

When lifting the cover out of the trunk area, these chips fall out into the trunk.

Should an owner place the cover on their new Vette they are sure to scratch the paint taking it on an off.

I will be contacting customer assistance to suggest the discarding of the transport cover so as to avoid damage to the paint.

Spending a few hundred dollars for the proper cover makes sense to me.

Any comments? Leaving for Nevada 11/11 for the Corvette driving school at the Ranch. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Want to keep as it is original to the car. I am getting the GM indoor cover to use. Just another piece to collect.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's part of Corvette history in 20 or 30 years the next owners will be looking for the original cover these cars were shipped with. It's all about the paperwork....

You can have my cover when they pry it from my dead hands. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You can have my cover when they pry it from my dead hands. :)
Your proposal is accepted...as was said to Edgar in MIB.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I kept my cover for memorabilia reasons... as Red C7 said above. Garage kept, too. If I needed a cover, I would purchase the proper cover through GM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you see the cover?? It is in pierces not something for every day use. I will put mine in a bag and save it like I did with everything from my C5. Worked we'll when I sold it the new owner was happy to have all the documentation..

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Did you see the cover?? It is in pierces not something for every day use. I will put mine in a bag and save it like I did with everything from my C5. Worked we'll when I sold it the new owner was happy to have all the documentation..
Bingo it's part of the corvette history never meant to be taken home and reused. In fact calling it a cover is probably an incorrect term as a cover leads you to believe it can be reused over and over again. It's only used for transportation protection, one time only. The other reason to keep it is who knows maybe GM will do away with it next year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand your comments about keeping everything. Just hope no one ever uses it as a cover.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
We've talked about this before, but it might be worth repeating that some people want to be able to keep everything related to the purchase of their vette. We have talked about a framed display that includes pictures the new car; In its cover on the truck, one that shows the dealer removing the cover, and maybe even a cut out piece of that cover included in the display. This piece of cover would mean even more if this new owner could gather the autograph of the head designers; Tage, Harlan, Ed, and / or others at some tribal gathering in the future. That would make a fine pictorial to hang in your garage, and valuable sales tool when you passed it along to a second owner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I had known this information before the 5 I already delivered. thanks for the tip. Being new to Chevrolet and especially all the nuances with regard to new editions of this fantastic vehicle, this information is invaluable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts