Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research and deliberation, and based on the good words of many of the folks here at Stingrayforums, I made the decision to order my new C7 from MacMulkin motors last week. I officially placed my order on April 2nd after overnighting a bunch of information the day before. This included a deposit check for $2k that I was told would be held by the dealer until my order reached the 2000 status and allocation was officially received.

Imagine my surprise when they cashed my check the very next day on April 3rd! I e-mailed my sales rep to ask him if I had really received an allocation that quickly, or if there was some sort of misunderstanding. I never received a reply. I called the dealership on April 5th, and was told that all members of the Stingray team were busy and were not taking calls. Same thing happened on the 6th, and the 7th, and every day up to today (the 10th.)

Finally, upset that my account is $2k lower, no one has responded to an e-mail or voice message, and I still don't know if I have allocation, let alone if they've even bothered to put me into the GM system, I refused to hang up until SOMEONE could answer my call. I got a bewildered representative elsewhere at the dealership who was very patient with me, took down all of my information, and told me he would look into it.

I'm not sure if this is a normal experience and I'm just over-reacting, or if this is horse manure.
What say y'all?

Reactions: stillcrazy

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd say it's a bunch of crap, and would never accept that type of crap from a dealership. They are supposed to kiss your ass, not treat you as the dumpster. If they don't compensate you for their arrogance, and irreprehensible service, I'd demand a refund, and find a better, more appreciative dealership.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Give them a little more time, they have a good reputation.

·
18,670 Posts
We have had over 40 forum members who have had an extremely positive experience with MacMulkin. This is the first concern ever expressed, either on the forum or privately. They will get back to you and address your concerns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've been rocking the boat all afternoon on this (7 days was my breaking point) and they JUST (39 minutes ago!) gave me a GM workbench PDF showing "Event Description: 1100 - Preliminary Order Accepted"

The attachment is accompanied by a simple "Tom is working on putting in orders today." which explains why the order number turns up nothing on any tracking site.

The issue here is that they've
a) Been completely unable to respond to me
b) Led me to believe that the deposit would not be cashed until allocation was received. Instead, they cashed immediately and didn't bother placing the order for a week. This may have been a misunderstanding (still can't get a hold of anyone to discuss it) but regardless I expected one thing and they did another.

I have had a very negative experience thus far and have lost considerable trust in the dealership over this.

EDIT: I'm stopping at vocal outrage and calling it quits for the night. I'll be working tomorrow to get in touch with MacMulkin to straighten matters out. As @elegant and @regguy1 point out, they are a reputable dealership and should be able to correct the matter. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been rocking the boat all afternoon on this (7 days was my breaking point) and they JUST (39 minutes ago!) gave me a GM workbench PDF showing "Event Description: 1100 - Preliminary Order Accepted"

The attachment is accompanied by a simple "Tom is working on putting in orders today." which explains why the order number turns up nothing on any tracking site.

b) Led me to believe that the deposit would not be cashed until allocation was received. Instead, they cashed immediately and didn't bother placing the order for a week. This may have been a misunderstanding (still can't get a hold of anyone to discuss it) but regardless I expected one thing and they did another.

I have had a very negative experience thus far and have lost considerable trust in the dealership over this.

EDIT: I'm stopping at vocal outrage and calling it quits for the night. I'll be working tomorrow to get in touch with MacMulkin to straighten matters out. As @elegant and @regguy1 point out, they are a reputable dealership and should be able to correct the matter. I'll let y'all know how it works out.
Gordon,

My name is Bucky (bweet in the forum) and I have a car on order with MacMulkin. I ordered under the same system that you have been working under and haven't had any of the problems you are having. I sent the deposit overnight on a Monday and by Thursday my check had been cashed and I received an email with a copy of the order for verification of the ordered options. Tommy Thompson Jr. sent the email and told me that any changes should be made before Tuesday morning because the order would be pickup by GM. True to his word the order was in fact picked up by GM (code 2000) and by Thursday the order status was at 3000 with a TPW of 5 May. I know that you are frustrated and I would also be bent if the dealership didn't feed me any information, especially when I made the effort to get the information. I have been dealing with Tommy Thompson Jr. and Mark Makarewicz and both have been extremely responsive to all my inquires. Phone calls and email are usually returned that day.
Sorry that you have had a bad experience, but I am hopeful that the problem can resolved. (Time from order to code 3000 was 9 days)

Bucky / Bweet

·
Registered
48 Posts
I echoe Bweet's response. MacMulkin did what my local dealers couldn't do but sometimes they are VERY busy and can't respond as rapidly as we would like. Tommy Jr. has sent me emails late at night because he was catching up with emails and phone calls after hours. Trust the process; they will deliver!

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I ordered my car from MacMalkin in Nov. They told me they put the orders into the system once a week. You just need to trust that they will get you a car with your options faster and cheaper than any other dealership in the USA. Your in good hands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can echo the positive experiences of the other members. My time from order to 3300 was 12 days with a TPW of 4/21.

They are very responsive to my calls and emails. I even emailed Tommy Karl and Jessy on sunday expecting a reply during the week. They were answered within a couple of hours.

My suggestion would be to nicely outline your concerns and expectations in a positive manner and give them a chance to respond.

If they don't meet them I would go elsewhere, and I would think you can get your deposit back since you haven't gone to 2000.

From my experience, I would be very surprised if they don't deliver.

Good luck

Reactions: kleinf

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had a 7 month positive experience with Tom Thompson Jr.at Mac Mulkins Chevrolet. The whole process has been a learning curve into new specialty car sales. There were times when, the 2nd Most Busiest Corvette Dealer in the USA, took 3-4 days to answer an e-mail or phone call. No big deal.

As first time buyer with Mac Mulkins, I physically gave Tom a $2,000.00 non-refundable deposit, while sitting at his desk. I was buying a Corvette from him. We shook hands to close the deal.

I asked the right questions. 1) Where am I on the waiting list? 2) Which week will you have an allotment for my order? 3) Once the order is at the factory, how long will take to build and deliver my order?

Tom Jr and I planned ( in early October 2013), for my new Corvette to be delivered in the 1st or 2nd week of April. Sunday I will pick her up. Right On Schedule!

Reactions: drx2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the most positive experience with Mac Mulkin. My 2014 3lt was delivered to my home 3 days after my first phone conversation with them!!Since owning this 2014 they have called me 3 times to ask if I had any questions or issues ,unbelievable follow up from a car dealer.So far,since owning my car about 6 weeks the only real issue is the front wheel jumping on tight turns,with no fix by GM!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
GordonFreeman,

I think there probably was a misunderstanding that led to this for you. I'm another (satisfied/thankful)MacMulkinite, & my experience w/them has been good. What I was told about the process was that I overnight the completed paperwork & deposit & as soon as they get the fedex they'd input the order w/GM & it's exactly what they did. I didn't get a confirmation for a week or so that they'd input the order & I was somewhat concerned about that, but I just waited & sure enough I got my order code & it was all good. I didn't ask if they'd hold or cash the deposit & they never addressed it either, but I presumed they would cash it right away & they did. I think we'd find it worked this way for everyone who's purchased w/them, most likely just a misunderstanding has occurred w/you as re this. As others here, I get the impression that these guys are superbusy & so there was usually some delay associated w/our comms, but I didn't let this put me off. There's essentially 3 players involved here; you, the dealer, & GM. It's in everybody's best self-interest to keep their eye on the ball & focus on the prize.
My local dealer had all day any day to talk to me (he cashed my deposit immediately too, & I got a code), but one thing I found they couldn't do? Deliver the goods. Keep the faith GordonFreeman, ultimately the prize is everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Positive for me also but I understand your concern. I'm sure this will work out and you will get your car faster than any other dealer ordering it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Positive response for me too. Yes they cashed my check and the car was at 3000 in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts

Hey there,

I apologize that your experience hasn’t been what you had hoped for thus far. For future reference, we are here to answer any questions or concerns that may arise along the way. The best way to reach us is through private message and this way I can keep an eye out for you. Have a great weekend!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
124 Posts
the only real issue is the front wheel jumping on tight turns,with no fix by GM!!
Is it an Ackerman Angle issue or something that has not been diagnosable?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If they don't return your calls, transfer you to someone that knows nothing about the situation, and cashes a check that was not supposed to be cashed, That is a dealership that I would never deal with. Reputation? doesn't sound too stellar to me. Whatever happened to "customer service"? is this just some memory of things that were?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...I have a car on order with MacMulkin. I ordered under the same system that you have been working under and haven't had any of the problems you are having. I sent the deposit overnight on a Monday and by Thursday my check had been cashed and I received an email with a copy of the order for verification of the ordered options. Tommy Thompson Jr. sent the email and told me that any changes should be made before Tuesday morning because the order would be pickup by GM. True to his word the order was in fact picked up by GM (code 2000) and by Thursday the order status was at 3000 with a TPW of 5 May. I know that you are frustrated and I would also be bent if the dealership didn't feed me any information, especially when I made the effort to get the information. I have been dealing with Tommy Thompson Jr. and Mark Makarewicz and both have been extremely responsive to all my inquires. Phone calls and email are usually returned that day.
Sorry that you have had a bad experience, but I am hopeful that the problem can resolved. (Time from order to code 3000 was 9 days)...
I think there probably was a misunderstanding that led to this for you. I'm another (satisfied/thankful)MacMulkinite, & my experience w/them has been good. What I was told about the process was that I overnight the completed paperwork & deposit & as soon as they get the fedex they'd input the order w/GM & it's exactly what they did. I didn't get a confirmation for a week or so that they'd input the order & I was somewhat concerned about that, but I just waited & sure enough I got my order code & it was all good. I didn't ask if they'd hold or cash the deposit & they never addressed it either, but I presumed they would cash it right away & they did. I think we'd find it worked this way for everyone who's purchased w/them, most likely just a misunderstanding has occurred w/you as re this. As others here, I get the impression that these guys are superbusy & so there was usually some delay associated w/our comms, but I didn't let this put me off. There's essentially 3 players involved here; you, the dealer, & GM. It's in everybody's best self-interest to keep their eye on the ball & focus on the prize.
These two have hit the nail on the head. Here is what happened:
They said: "And there is a $2k deposit, which we don't need until allocation is received"
I heard: "$2k deposit, not cashed until allocation is received"
They meant: "$2k deposit, cashed immediately, non-refundable once allocation is received"

A simple mis-communication that should have only required a simple phone call to resolve. When I didn't hear a peep for over a week, I panicked.
While I still haven't been able to talk to anyone, I did receive two e-mails from the team and a personal call from Mr. Thompson (voicemail, really. Called at 0100; they sure do burn the midnight oil over there!) stating that GM wasn't allocating last week but they are now, here's your order, confirm it for us, on Tuesday it's allocated and official. Nice!

All is well that ends well, and it looks like I'm on the MacMulkin express train to production and delivery, same as any other order.

Thanks all for the feedback and helping to soothe my mind.
I'm chalking the whole thing up to poor (no) comms, making myself a cocktail, and waiting for GM to build my new baby!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts