Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all these prior posts on oil changes, I really feel bad for those who have to rely on their dealership's discretion and quality of service for simple oil changes. Since I'm able to change it myself, I have FULL CONTROL over change intervals, type of oil and filters, correct amount, no appointments, no down car and having the satisfaction and confidence that the work was done properly. Might I suggest to those who are hesitant to do so on their own, try watching it done at your dealership, if allowed, or have it done one time at a local garage where you should have more leeway in observing. It's really a simple procedure if you are willing to give it a shot. By the way, I changed the oil in my C6 at the first and second 500 mile intervals and then every 1000 to 1500 thereafter. OVERKILL, you might say, but that is MY CHOICE. I will follow the same 500 mile intervals with my 2015 (still on constraints) but will probably extend to 2500-3000 mile intervals afterwards since I expect to do more mileage.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'll take my four free oil changes. Then I'll do my own at my son's garage. I don't fear my dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
After reading all these prior posts on oil changes, I really feel bad for those who have to rely on their dealership's discretion and quality of service for simple oil changes. Since I'm able to change it myself, I have FULL CONTROL over change intervals, type of oil and filters, correct amount, no appointments, no down car and having the satisfaction and confidence that the work was done properly. Might I suggest to those who are hesitant to do so on their own, try watching it done at your dealership, if allowed, or have it done one time at a local garage where you should have more leeway in observing. It's really a simple procedure if you are willing to give it a shot. By the way, I changed the oil in my C6 at the first and second 500 mile intervals and then every 1000 to 1500 thereafter. OVERKILL, you might say, but that is MY CHOICE. I will follow the same 500 mile intervals with my 2015 (still on constraints) but will probably extend to 2500-3000 mile intervals afterwards since I expect to do more mileage.
I'll start off first with..if it feels good, do it. It is your car. :)

2nd - everyone should know how to change their oil. It isn't hard and is so far from rocket science I can't think of a good metaphor.

3rd - your oil strategy is a waste of time and money. That said, if you like doing it and feel it is worthwhile to you then go for it. I've changed at very frequent intervals when cars were experiencing heavy track use but that is about it.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Changing oil is something we do because it's a hobby. It's something we can do on the car that we like to do , because we like to work on our cars. If you Google any of the sites that discuss a Blackstone oil analysis , you'll see that people send it in at 8000 miles, and they get an answer back that "it I could go another 3 to 5000 miles without any problems" But it is your car do what you like to do on it and don't worry about what anybody else says…

If you love to fight/read the oil wars go to bobistheoilguy.com

Read for days on whats the proper interval and still be confused.......

·
Registered
95 Posts
bobistheoilguy.com can be a fascinating if frustrating read.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
bobistheoilguy.com can be a fascinating if frustrating read.
Yes. I remember about 10 years ago, when they were all in thrall of "German Castrol". Then there are those proudly presented pictures of people's "oil stashes" piled up on shelves in their garages. They love motor oil the same way some folks worship fine vintage wines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first free oil (Mobil 1) change a my dealer done at 4150 miles and oil life at 45%. Watched and could not have done a better job myself. Complete trust in my dealer. Will do number 5 myself.

oil change a.jpg

·
Administrator
16,299 Posts
That is good to hear Buckeye4- thanks for posting.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts