Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
There is no reason to change unless you would feel better having Mobil 1 in the motor. The DEXOS spec oil that's factory installed and used by the dealer is a perfectly good oil so it's really a matter of preference.

FYI, I used Mobil 1 when I did the first change ;)

·
Banned
631 Posts
The dexos spec synthetic blend is no where near the level of protection full synthetic is, and M1 while a great oil, is not as good as a premium syn like Amsoil for instance. You can run dexos blend and probably be fine.....but with all the engines we have here apart all it takes is looking at the deposits/sludge a conventional or a blend leaves to convince most to run only a good full synthetic if your keeping the car long term and want the best life from the engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't taken apart a LT1 (well, a lot of the old LT1s) but I can say that I agree with Tuner Boost. In the long run you can see a big difference between standard dino oil and a true full synthetic when you pull an engine apart. Unless something catastrophic has happened the full synthetic engine shows little wear. It works its way down from there by quality but in reality nearly all engine oils are quite good these days. I run full synthetic. I don't think that is by any means a requirement.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Sorry guys but as long as you follow the recommended service intervals the likelihood that you will experience an oil related failure or reduced performance due to using DEXOS synthetic blend vs. M1 or other "claimed" 100% synthetics is unproven.

I don't think any rational motor head would argue that pure synthetics aren't superior to blends or conventional oil but it's hyperbole to extrapolate tear downs on older motors running non DEXOS oils under undocumented conditions in any way represent what will happen if the OP simply uses the oil GM specifies for this motor.

Take all this into account and make your own decision. For me the price difference is insignificant, I will fill the sump with the best oil I can find that meets the DEXOS specification (I like my warranty) and that won't be the blend coming out of 55 gallon drums. Does that make me a hypocrite :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been reading about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil. The claim is that this oil is derived from natural gas and is 99.5% pure and ultra slick. I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic so I need input from some of you guys who are. Is anyone using this product and is it something I should consider? (My car should arrive at the dealership next week.)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As far as I know, there is no industry standard of what constitutes a "synthetic" oil. It could be anything from man made molecules built up from simple hydrocarbon molecules (such as the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) to specially cracked molecules derived from natural petroleum liquids. The Pennzoil, by being built up from simple molecules, adheres to the initial concept of liquid oils molecularly put together from simple hydrocarbons.

But I have no basis of knowing if it actually lubricates better.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
415 Posts
1. Amsoil is not a dexos 1 approved product so if using it then consider the loss of warranty

2. Mobil I is not full synthetic is not true, go to the dexos website and there is a full synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1 Super Synthetic

3. Saying dexos is not fully synthetic is not totally correct as in fact GM designed with Mobil 1 the dexos 1 makeup to assure it
could keep internals clean due to issues of DOD ( 4/8 cyl modes) and that with direct injection does not spray (clean) valves and pistons as
where they are now located.

As GM's dexos website states :

The dexos® specification is uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process.
It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards.
The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties.

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst-case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos® products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos® specification.
Only officially licensed products have gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are monitored for quality, and are recommended for use in GM vehicles.
Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and engine damage not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just changed my oil today in my garage. Mobil One 5W30 PF64 AC filter. 7 quarts. Used race ramps to get under it. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once the warrantied Mobil 1 oil changes are over, I will use Schaffer 9003D Supreme 9000™ 5W-30 with a Royal purple filter. Costs roughly what Mobile 1 costs at Walmart. My oil supplier is an Amsoil and Schaffer distributor and he says the Schaeffer oil is better Amsoil's and uses it in his fleet.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,696 Posts
Only use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Life, that's what my dealer has stocked per my request, that's what he uses on all who request it. No extra charge.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Once the warrantied Mobil 1 oil changes are over, I will use Schaffer 9003D Supreme 9000 5W-30 with a Royal purple filter. Costs roughly what Mobile 1 costs at Walmart. My oil supplier is an Amsoil and Schaffer distributor and he says the Schaeffer oil is better Amsoil's and uses it in his fleet.
Just be aware that it doesn't meet the GM Dexos warranty requirements, so you are giving up the last 3 years of power train warranty.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Just be aware that it doesn't meet the GM Dexos warranty requirements, so you are giving up the last 3 years of power train warranty.
According to their website:

9003D Supreme 9000™ 5W-30
Exceeds API Service Classification SN, Resource Conserving ILSAC GF-5, GM dexos-1™ Compliant
Provides extra protection during stop-and-go driving conditions and is recommended for gasoline fueled automobile and light duty truck engines (including turbocharged and supercharged engines).
While that may be like Amsoil and be a statement they meet the requirements but haven't licensed with GM to actually use the logo would need to be confirmed.

Regardless, I'm 99% sure that using Schaeffer oil will not cause you any warranty issues.

·
Registered
873 Posts
According to their website:

While that may be like Amsoil and be a statement they meet the requirements but haven't licensed with GM to actually use the logo would need to be confirmed.

Regardless, I'm 99% sure that using Schaeffer oil will not cause you any warranty issues.
I just looked on Zymurgy's posted list and didn't see anything from Schaeffer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been reading about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil. The claim is that this oil is derived from natural gas and is 99.5% pure and ultra slick. I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic so I need input from some of you guys who are. Is anyone using this product and is it something I should consider? (My car should arrive at the dealership next week.)
This is what I run in my Boosted Camaro, no issues and holds up great. I track my Camaro and being that it is boosted I know it is hard on the oil. I will switch to this once my oil gets changed. It is factory Fill for Ferrari by the way.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I just looked on Zymurgy's posted list and didn't see anything from Schaeffer.
We have no idea how often that list is refreshed nor whether Schaeffer ever paid GM's extortion.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,033 Posts
Some interesting background on the Dexos Licensing:

dexos® licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos® icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos® license number on the back label. As long as an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is an authentic, licensed dexos® product and is recommended for use in GM vehicles.
So, even if the list is out-of-date (no reason to believe it is), you can identify if an oil is certified by looking at the labeling.

About the Licensing Program
The dexos® licensing program is administered by the Center for Quality Assurance (CQA). The licensing program is a comprehensive approach to monitor adherence to GM’s quality standards through each step in the product life cycle from licensing to production to commercialization. Oil manufacturers and marketers involved in the production and sale of dexos®-approved oils must be licensed. Licensed products are registered, published, and routinely sampled to ensure consistent quality.

How to Become a Licensee
Prospective licensees may choose to pursue a dexos® license as a Blender or a Rebrander.

Licensed Blenders manufacture engine oil meeting the dexos® specification using previously approved additives and formulations obtained from additive suppliers. Currently there are four additive suppliers with approved dexos® formulations: Afton Chemical, Chevron Oronite, Infineum and Lubrizol. Contact an additive company representative for selecting the best formulation for you.

Licensed Rebranders purchase fully-formulated dexos® oil from a licensed Blender and repackage the oil under their own brand name(s).

All prospective licensees must submit completed licensing documentation and a sample of the candidate oil to CQA for qualification testing. Although the dexos® licensing process is comprehensive and thorough, CQA works closely with each applicant to make the licensing process a simple step in providing an officially-approved dexos® oil to the marketplace.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have owned and maintained cars, trucks and motorcycles for 50 years. I have always stuck with the major motor oil brands from Ashland, Castrol, Shell and Mobil, with the appropriate certifications. I realize that there are many who swear by their boutique oils, and I am sure they are fine. But when a blender attempts to confuse a consumer by stating that their product is "compliant" with an external standard, without actually going through the certification process, it does not pass my smell test.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts