Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with 8200 miles and a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty expiration date of 11-27-20. On 10-29-19, I took it to Dave Gill Chevrolet in Columbus because the driver's seat belt quit retracting. I tried a few tips from this Forum but I couldn't fix it. The dealership fixed it and it now works easier than when it was new! When I picked it up, they handed me their invoice which said, "Found driver's seat belt was tangled at retractor. Removed B-pillar trim and untangled the seat belt." There were no parts replaced. However, they charged me $124.95 labor …even though it was still under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty! I asked them how a car under warranty could be charged a fee to fix something on the car that no longer worked and their response was, "It wasn't the seat belt retractor's fault." Since they still had my car and my key fob, I had no choice but to pay their bill before I could drive it home. I then sent an email to GM Customer Service relating the entire story. I quickly received an email confirmation from them saying they'd get back in touch with me soon. As of 11-9, I've heard nothing back. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they have fixed the problem under warranty and returned my car to me with no charges? I appreciate any input you me offer.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Snide72, I am sorry that has happened to you. I would have escalated this to the top of the dealerships management to get a clearer understanding of why the charge before paying for this? This makes no sense but maybe someone here can answer you and me? :poop:

·
Administrator
15,154 Posts
My guess is that the problem wasn't covered because it apparently wasn't a component failure or malfunction. It was caused by twisting the seat belt before or as it was retracting at some point.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I concur with jsvette. If they determined the twisting wasn’t caused by component failure or malfunction then that only leaves user error which is not covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is horrible as if someone intentionally did something to cause it to twist as I have seen that twisting happen inadvertently over the years in multiple cars. For a car under warranty to charge $125 is an example of a dealership and manufacturer that just doesn't get common sense customer service.

I remember my 1995 Lexus LS400 as having a problem when it was about 6 yr old and out of warranty and it was determined that the left Catalytic Converter went bad. Lexus told me they couldn't understand how that would happened as it should be good for a minimum of 10 years or something.

As a result, Lexus replaced the bad left side Catalytic Converter and because they didn't want anything to go wrong with the right side Catalytic Converter, they replaced it as well. The charge for me was $0 and I received a free loner for about a week until they got the parts in.

I always tell this story because it is how you go from good to great in customer loyalty. To this date, I always say that Lexus is my Number 1 in automotive brand loyalty having owned a LS400, LS430, LS400, LS300 and still owns a SC430 because of the superior customer service.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm going to assume the $124.95 amount was for one hour labor. If so consider yourself lucky as here in Los Angeles it would have been closer to $175.00 for that one hour of labor.
Agree with others it's about building customer loyalty etc. In this case perhaps they missed an opportunity for build a customer for future purchases . Short sighted in my opinion ...but then again i do not run or own a Chevrolet dealership.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
One could make the argument that it should be covered because it is a design defect for a twist to be able to make it back into the retraction mechanism.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Now that you know exactly what the problem is, I would recommend calling another dealer or two and see if they would also charge you for the service/repair. Guys above are right that if it's not a defect or failure, they usually don't cover under the warranty but the others are right that the dealership missed out on an opportunity that you should bring to the service manager or dealership manager's attention. If the other dealerships wouldn't charge, that should also go to the dealership that did. They may want to make things right for you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is horrible as if someone intentionally did something to cause it to twist as I have seen that twisting happen inadvertently over the years in multiple cars. For a car under warranty to charge $125 is an example of a dealership and manufacturer that just doesn't get common sense customer service.

I remember my 1995 Lexus LS400 as having a problem when it was about 6 yr old and out of warranty and it was determined that the left Catalytic Converter went bad. Lexus told me they couldn't understand how that would happened as it should be good for a minimum of 10 years or something.

As a result, Lexus replaced the bad left side Catalytic Converter and because they didn't want anything to go wrong with the right side Catalytic Converter, they replaced it as well. The charge for me was $0 and I received a free loner for about a week until they got the parts in.

I always tell this story because it is how you go from good to great in customer loyalty. To this date, I always say that Lexus is my Number 1 in automotive brand loyalty having owned a LS400, LS430, LS400, LS300 and still owns a SC430 because of the superior customer service.
Classic example of why the edit option should always be available. I just noticed I said "LS400 and LS300" which should have been "GS400 and GS300"

·
Registered
988 Posts

That's nothing more that the dealer/manufacturer following Federal Law. Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles. So, at 6 years old, it was NOT out of warranty as far as the catalytic converter is concerned.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Let's say that is the case, would you not agree that them deciding to replace the other Catalytic converter on their own initiative goes over and beyond in terms of service and standing by there product? Do you realize the cost of a converter on that car that they could have let it stay on and charge when it went bad after the 80k?

The point it, how you handle the small things is indicative on how you handle the larger ones and for me, Lexus without question have been at the top in terms of quality and standing by their products because of quality and service. Those brands at the top of the Quality and Service don't get short-sided by charging for something like a seat belt twist regardless of if isn't a defective part.

You lose consumer and brand loyalty at the dealer or manufacture level not withstanding a customer and their immediate family that could potentially buy/lease 15-30 cars over a lifetime.

That's nothing more that the dealer/manufacturer following Federal Law. Under federal law, the catalytic converter and engine-control module are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles. So, at 6 years old, it was NOT out of warranty as far as the catalytic converter is concerned.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My guess is that the problem wasn't covered because it apparently wasn't a component failure or malfunction. It was caused by twisting the seat belt before or as it was retracting at some point.
Jeff, GM should have designed it so it cannot twist when retracted. I would say it is a design flaw and should have been fixed at no charge. I never had a car that the seat belt get twisted while retracting and I don't think the OP forced the twisted belt. how many corvette owners here have had this issue with the seatbelt and if they did how many have been charged? Maybe there should be a poll created?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't every remember any modern day car over the last 20 years that this has ever happened and really think this is an anomaly on any modern car which makes it all the more frustrating that a dealer would charge to untangle especially for a car that is still under warranty.

·
Administrator
15,154 Posts
I can't every remember any modern day car over the last 20 years that this has ever happened and really think this is an anomaly on any modern car which makes it all the more frustrating that a dealer would charge to untangle especially for a car that is still under warranty.
That hasn't been my experience. I recall over the past decade in a variety of OEM cars having a seat belt tangle on retraction. In each case I noticed it before it became jammed. Personally, I don't think it is a problem or unique to GM (or our C7s), don't think it requires new design, and isn't a warranty issue. I do agree it did present an opportunity for goodwill, but the charge would not have surprised me had it happened to me.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
One difference between a great engineering team and a good engineering team is the great ones differentiate themselves by designing something which not only works, but is also resilient to user error.

Those designers were NOT great engineers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have to be careful with all warranties. I had my GPS problem fixed and I had an extended warranty but it was not covered because they don't pay for putting tape around electrical wires. They only pay for component failures even though there was a service bulletin on my 2015 z51. I never have bought an extended warranty but I thought I would with this vehicle. It is proof to me that it's not worth spending the money on these extended warranties.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd rip them from top to bottom on every yelp like site then go to GM with it and also the owner of the dealership. I also would never go back to that dealer. That is ridiculous. What scumbags.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Grand Sport with 8200 miles and a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty expiration date of 11-27-20. On 10-29-19, I took it to Dave Gill Chevrolet in Columbus because the driver's seat belt quit retracting. I tried a few tips from this Forum but I couldn't fix it. The dealership fixed it and it now works easier than when it was new! When I picked it up, they handed me their invoice which said, "Found driver's seat belt was tangled at retractor. Removed B-pillar trim and untangled the seat belt." There were no parts replaced. However, they charged me $124.95 labor …even though it was still under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty! I asked them how a car under warranty could be charged a fee to fix something on the car that no longer worked and their response was, "It wasn't the seat belt retractor's fault." Since they still had my car and my key fob, I had no choice but to pay their bill before I could drive it home. I then sent an email to GM Customer Service relating the entire story. I quickly received an email confirmation from them saying they'd get back in touch with me soon. As of 11-9, I've heard nothing back. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they have fixed the problem under warranty and returned my car to me with no charges? I appreciate any input you me offer.
I would ask to speak to service manager and owner. If not resolved/refunded ask Service Manager to make you an appointment with regional GM service representative. It was a design flaw if nothing else.That shouldn't happen. I've owned 6 'vettes from C4-C7 and have not had any dealer give me flak over warranty items...this should be. Good luck! Miss Dixie 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PS. My 2015 C7 has a guide on the side of the seat headrest area that would prevent that from occurring. Is yours there and is the belt guided through it? If you had a detail is it possible someone took out of the guide? Just a thought?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. I bought my 2019 Corvette Stingray in Seattle. There is a Chevrolet dealer here in Juneau but they don't sell Corvettes. I have had them change the oil and check it out. Had no problems.I have had 2 other Corvettes but at that time there was a Corvette dealership here. I have had a '74 Convertible and a '99 Convertible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts