Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2019 1LT. Two wks. ago moderate temp ~ 80*f.,1.5 hour drive windows partially down. By time I returned home seat back was damp, T-shirt + cotton shirt sweaty. I don't perspire a lot and am puzzled why leather seats that are full of tiny holes for ventilation would cause this problem. This has happened once before but didn't think much about it. My '75 Stingray has unperforated leather seats without this dampness issue. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
2019 1LT. Two wks. ago moderate temp ~ 80*f.,1.5 hour drive windows partially down. By time I returned home seat back was damp, T-shirt + cotton shirt sweaty. I don't perspire a lot and am puzzled why leather seats that are full of tiny holes for ventilation would cause this problem. This has happened once before but didn't think much about it. My '75 Stingray has unperforated leather seats without this dampness issue. Any ideas ?
The holes do not do anything unless you turn on the heated or ventilated seats. And, keep in mind, these are NOT cooled seats, simply ventilated. There is no COLD air being pumped through, but there is hot air pumped through if you select heated.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
I wonder if there is anyway you can retro fit the seats to blow cool air?
If you have the AC on and part is directed at the floor, the seat fan will push the cool air through the seats. However, it does depend on the specific Stingray as to its efficacy, the amount of humidity and what you are wearing. RedHot's fans hardly seemed to do much, but WhiteHot's work very well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you have the AC on and part is directed at the floor, the seat fan will push the cool air through the seats. However, it does depend on the specific Stingray as to its efficacy, the amount of humidity and what you are wearing. RedHot's fans hardly seemed to do much, but WhiteHot's work very well.
thank you for that, I’ll give it a try . My car is a LT 1 so we will see…

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jeff... I was always under the impression that the cooling fans actually "suck" air from the seat backs... have you ever seen, definitively, which is true? (sounds like some kind of dirty joke!)

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
thank you for that, I’ll give it a try . My car is a LT 1 so we will see…
Sorry but I am pretty sure that the 1LT does not come with ventilated seats.

Reactions: meyerweb

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Jeff... I was always under the impression that the cooling fans actually "suck" air from the seat backs... have you ever seen, definitively, which is true? (sounds like some kind of dirty joke!)
Al, the ventilating (not cooling) fans may suck or push air- I am not sure which way it does it. However, I do know that unless you have the AC on and have it sending cool air to the floor option (vs just at your face), you will not feel any evaporative cooling effect when using the ventilating fans. I did some experimenting originally with RedHot, and found that if the humidity was low (as it typically is in Vegas) and you were not sweaty there was very little effect to be felt. Conversely, if the humidity was higher, like when I drove WhiteHot through Texas, the effect was very noticible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Al, the ventilating (not cooling) fans may suck or push air- I am not sure which way it does it. However, I do know that unless you have the AC on and have it sending cool air to the floor option (vs just at your face), you will not feel any evaporative cooling effect when using the ventilating fans. I did some experimenting originally with RedHot, and found that if the humidity was low (as it typically is in Vegas) and you were not sweaty there was very little effect to be felt. Conversely, if the humidity was higher, like when I drove WhiteHot through Texas, the effect was very noticible.
Now that we're in central Florida full time, I will have plenty of time to experiment with the cooling seats... plenty of humidity here in summer months!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Now that we're in central Florida full time, I will have plenty of time to experiment with the cooling seats... plenty of humidity here in summer months!
Ok , The Villages here also , you can bet on the heat and humidity! I do aim AC towards floor seems to help a bit. Actually a bit disappointed they didn’t have a option for that besides stepping up a model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts