Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in the car pool lane, a driver swerved into my lane and gave me a "pit maneuver". I spun out going about 75mph and hit another car. These are the photos of the point of impact on the side and the front where I hit the second car. The other is an officer pushing me off the freeway. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Luckily we have uninsured driver coverage and they have covered the repairs in full. I wanted a new car but the repairs would have to cost 55k+ to be totaled, they only cost 38k. (Only lol). There was only one point of frame damage where the bumper attaches to the frame and was removed and replaced. You can see here the metal is curled a little bit, but not bent or destroyed. image.jpg here's another where the upper control arm snapped apart image.jpg otherwise it's all cosmetic image.jpg

I have just received the car yesterday and everything looks great. Just a few things need fixing. The heads up display has a little crack in the ?plastic? That covers it. The glove box needs a new locking mechanism. But otherwise it's better than new, before some of the body lines were touching or pushing on each other or not gapped appropriately, now they are all perfect and it looks to me that they have less orange peel than before.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The accident will show on Carfax and you also may have a salvage / rebuilt title (investigate ?) this will devalue the car significantly at resale time.
I would make a serious effort to get the insurance company to compensate you for any lost value due to this accident.
One other thing I'd investigate is how this will affect the factory warranty, possibly void it or significantly diminish coverage (?)
Your financial losses could be more than just damage to the car.......:(

Reactions: Movie Muscle

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Glad you got everything fixed.

Do uninsured drivers get charged for not having insurance in the states?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Glad you got everything fixed.

Do uninsured drivers get charged for not having insurance in the states?
Yes, being insured is the law. The proof requirement isn't strong enough in my opinion, plus they can pay one month premium then let it lapse and here we are

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Glad the repair turned out well, was it done by a dealer?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Makes me sick seeing pics like these. If you cancel or non-pay insurance in NJ, the company is required to notify state, which in turn suspends registration. Still doesn't help if you get hit by one of these morons.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Glad you are ok Mgorski! We call that a California nudge and thought it was reserved for the Police to use in car chases. :rolleyes: A bit surprised that the Police pushed you off rather than wait for the flat bed. Also can't see the air bag in the photo where they are pushing you back- did it deploy? Anticipate that added to the front end damage. Pleased that you now find it better than new. :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The accident will show on Carfax and you also may have a salvage / rebuilt title (investigate ?) this will devalue the car significantly at resale time.
I would make a serious effort to get the insurance company to compensate you for any lost value due to this accident.
One other thing I'd investigate is how this will affect the factory warranty, possibly void it or significantly diminish coverage (?)
Don't believe there is a salvage title unless the car is declared totaled and then rebuilt. At least that is the way it is in GA.
Should certainly be some diminished value compensation.

·
18,670 Posts
Mgorski, so sorry your experience the team a of getting your StingRay hit. And now excited that its rebuilt went really well for you!

Hope they fix the last few items quickly and to your satisfaction!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that! Glad you are okay, though. Best wishes!

Reactions: grilloz

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, being insured is the law. The proof requirement isn't strong enough in my opinion, plus they can pay one month premium then let it lapse and here we are
Here in Cali they don't do $#|+ about uninsured drivers ITS A JOKE. And those that play by the rules pay for it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. I did investigate acquiring compensation, but came to find out that I could not because the guy that hit me didn't have insurance to get money from, and I asked my insurance company and they basically said they won't. I might try to ask my insurance company again.

Also no the factory warranty is not affected since it was virtually all cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you are ok Mgorski! We call that a California nudge and thought it was reserved for the Police to use in car chases. :rolleyes: A bit surprised that the Police pushed you off rather than wait for the flat bed. Also can't see the air bag in the photo where they are pushing you back- did it deploy? Anticipate that added to the front end damage. Pleased that you now find it better than new. :cool:
Ya not a scratch. Thank you. Extremely safe car considering.

Ya the air bags did deploy. I also climbed out of the window as I did not realize there was an emergency release for the door.

Ya it is a really busy freeway, but it was a Sunday, got pretty crowded in 10 minutes though

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that! Glad you are okay, though. Best wishes!
Thank you! It was an extremely stressful situation, went through a bit of depression for a while. Replaying it, regretting my hesitation, wondering why I didn't leave earlier, later or not at all. It was a spur-of-the-moment trip to Disneyland

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hello Mgorsky:
Boy! what a wreck and not written off. I can't believe it. In BC. Canada, that would have been a 45,000 Cdn.$ repair easily which would have been a write off. This is why I buy replacement ins. for the first 3 years. In cases such as yours it is a real relief when the Ins. comes through. On my ZR1 I had a $7,000 fender rip off in a parking lot and it significantly effected my resale when I was waiting for the 2014 by at least $10,000. That is the sad thing here in that if I want to get compensation for value loss I have to sue privately. Good Luck!! Our insurance company does not give that kind of loss any consideration. And, since they are the only horse in town what do you do? Government controlled manditory Ins.

Anyway I just hope I am never in your terrible prediciment. Glad you can share this and are ok now. Boy, those police sure get push happy with their push bars eh. That doesn't happen here unless it is a real emergency. The traffic just backs up until the accident is cleared and investigated.

Sympathetically STUNG:(

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's amazing the beating these cars can stand with their aluminum frame. Sure impresses me. Drivers seem to be surviving some really strong hits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As someone who can relate to having my first C7 significantly damaged, I hope you are ok and I hope you are satisfied with the repair. I pushed back on the insurance companies until they totaled mine... It's just terribly sad to see these amazing cars involved in any accidents.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Mgorski, I'm glad that you're alright and sorry to read about your wrecked C7. I'm glad that they repaired your Vette, who did the repairs, Dealership or local body shop?

SF
Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts