Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The upcoming rebirth of the well known Toyota Supra. What are everyone's thoughts? Do you think if you hadn't purchased your Stingray yet, that you would consider the 2016 Supra?

As we know, it will be based off of the FT-1 concept. New images were revealed today, and it is breathtaking in Silver.

It is suspected that this car could be priced as low as the Stingray, or as high as the GTR.

How do you think it'll match up against the Stingray? Would you consider it as a threat to the Stingray's sales?

I believe if the Supra looks 75% worse than this concept, that it would still be gorgeous.

Perhaps it could encourage the development of a ZR1.

EDIT: Here are sources, as FormulaRedline rightfully requested:

Autoguide: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/toyota-ft-1-confirmed-next-gen-supra.html

Motoring: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/sports/toyota/confirmed-toyota-ft-1-is-next-supra-41509

"Obviously the new Supra will be rear-wheel drive but it is also strongly rumoured to employ an LFA-style rear transaxle, meaning the new Supra could sell for less than $100,000 when it appears in showrooms as early as 2016."

Bimmerpost: The car is being jointly developed by BMW and Toyota. For BMW, it is the next Z4. For Toyota, it will be higher performance and carry the Supra name. http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1019827

"the next Z4/Toyota project (Supra) will have a turbo six engine"

FT1.jpg FT12.jpg FT13.jpg FT14.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
This seems like a lot of speculation on your part. I don't see anything that says this concept car will become a production model. Do you have a link to an official source that says otherwise? Please share, if so!

Until then, I'll have to predict it will have exactly 0 impact on Corvette sales, since they don't sell concept cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems like a lot of speculation on your part. I don't see anything that says this concept car will become a production model. Do you have a link to an official source that says otherwise? Please share, if so!

Until then, I'll have to predict it will have exactly 0 impact on Corvette sales, since they don't sell concept cars.
I apologize, I should have posted sources in the first place. I added them to the original post.

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
"Do you think if you hadn't purchased your Stingray yet, that you would consider the 2016 Supra?" In a word, no.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow! Even if Toyota built this Supra and I hope they do, it would NOT change my choice of my buying a C7. I'm sure the Toyota Supra would be very nice car, but.....wait for it...... I didn't grow up hoping to own and drive a Toyota anything. I guess I'm old school, born the same year the first Corvette was made. I've always loved American Muscle Cars. I would Not change my mind about my choice of buying my C7. Never.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts? Do you think if you hadn't purchased your Stingray yet, that you would consider the 2016 Supra?
No, I would not consider it, regardless of price point (unless I could make enough money on buy low/sell high transactions to warrant me spending the time doing that).

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Of course I would have considered it if it were available as I will every new sports car that comes out since my current 2014 C7 is not the last car I will ever buy. My "loyalty" to Corvette is in direct proportion to how loyal they are to me as a customer. Make an effort GM and I'll clearly add that to my decision making, treat me like a Cruze or Silverado owner and all bets are off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This car will be smaller, different dimensions, much like the Z3/4. Not sure many compared those to a C6. Doubt very much it will take the C7 head on. More of a competitor to the rice burners that are out there today like the Scion. Have to say don't like the lines, too complicated, too busy. The ass end is ugly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only legitimate competitor to the C7 is a 911 S which costs about twice as much fully loaded. Toyota Supra is like a boy racer.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
The only legitimate competitor to the C7 is a 911 S which costs about twice as much fully loaded. Toyota Supra is like a boy racer.
Um... Let's not put all boys into that category. Couldn't we just say it is for the "not-so-smart boy racers"?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Actually the Boxster/Cayman platform is a more direct competitor if you factor out the engine HP but even then a similarly equipped S or GTS is still thousands more. Probably the most direct competitor right now is the Jaguar F-Type but again, the price gap for comparable performance is huge. The Japanese don't have anything that directly competes, the 370Z being about the closest thing and it's way way down the pecking order.

The Supra, in it's day, was a strong competitor as were many of the older Datsun/Nissan Z cars. If they do a new supra, Lexus would be the more appropriate brand. Someone here mentioned Scion, that's the opposite end of the spectrum and not where a "Supra" would land.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The concept looks good from the side, not a fan of the front end. And who knows what the final production car might look like and what the specs will be. A quick search and look at those articles shows nothing particularly new or detailed on the car. While I won't flat out say no until the final supra is out or I've order my C7, odds are against considering it much. I've grown up with a Vette, always like the looks of the car, love the sound of a small block V8, appreciate the heritage of Corvettes, etc. A C7 (hopefully a Z06) remains the car I'm looking to purchase.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow so many haters! The C7 is a monster and it's not really clear how direct (performance, price point, etc) a competitor the next-gen Supra will be. It's also not clear just how much of the FT-1 design will survive into production. But the Supra is a classic in its own right and Toyota does make high quality cars. 7 of the 10 most American-built cars are also Toyotas (the F-150, Viper, and Corvette are the other 3) so the "foreign POS" line is just straight ignorance and prejudice. Honda is building the NSX in central Ohio. Who knows where production for a Supra/Z4 will end up.

I would of course consider it, just as I consider everything. It's about enjoying yourself in your vehicle, and there are many ways to do that whether it's straight-line speed, cornering capability, interior luxury, etc. I look at American, Japanese, European, Korean, etc. and I consider everything including cost, performance, comfort, quality, appearance, etc.

I may well reject the Supra upon consideration based on some reason I can soberly articulate, but I will first consider it.

At the Detroit show this past January I got to see both the new Z06 and the FT-1. I don't know which I liked more visually. The FT-1 I think is a design that will age a bit more quickly than the Z06. But right now it looks no worse in my opinion and that was the case for a lot of people who saw it in the flesh.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Damn just look at LT1's C7. The lines remind me of a Ferrari. Still can't believe how perfectly Team Corvette nailed the new design.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts