Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may remember I posted an article about getting myself an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger for my 60th birthday (well, that and a tattoo in Vegas that is also holding up well!). It’s been 6 months of driving it so I thought I’d give everyone an update on how it’s running....

Cutting to the chase as they say, though I try to stay away from words like “perfect”, it’s been as perfect as anyone could realistically expect, zero problems. I still feel it’s easier to drive overall than the factory tune, probably because of the torque. None of the other drivetrain components seem to be worse for wear after 6 months, even though I drive it like a high school kid that stole it. Overheating (or just getting hot) is something I did have concerns about, but it never materialized, even after months of 100+ degree days here in Southern California.

The catch: Well there’s always a catch, isn’t there? The supercharger and motor are performing amazingly well, but another old adage is when you fix something or make it better, the next weak link in the chain becomes more obvious, or worse. And that next weak link in the chain is.....The Torque Monster.

1st, 2nd and 3rd gear need to be feathered very carefully to keep the car moving forward. Getting off the line quickly is almost impossible. I’ve experimented with the various drive modes, even using Weather mode, which helps off the line but is too slow overall. I’ve ended up using Track mode all the time, because to my calibrated rear end it appears to move the torque curve higher up RPM range. Touring seems to have way too much torque down low. And Remember I have the Edelbrock tune to keep it California smog legal, so that may have an impact on the various settings.

Here is where I need the forum’s help: The Z06 keeps that horsepower and torque on the pavement, and I’m assuming the ZR1 does for the most part as well. There has to be a way to modify my Vette to handle the low end torque better than it does. For the record I have a base car (non-Z51), with the smaller wheels and tires, and the 7 speed transmission. I’m relatively new to this world, and there are a lot of senior members on this site with years of Corvette experience, hopefully you can give me some helpful advice - I’m expecting to have to upgrade the suspension/wheels/etc. in some way.

In other news: I just installed the Z06 grill this morning, it took me about 2 hours based on Jeremy’s awesome video (thank you, thank you, thank you!). Yes it’s still a PITA, but I did it on the driveway with a blanket, without jacking the car up. It’s just a lot of screws to take out and put in for the most part.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the traction problem.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Guitar man, so sorry for your troubles, my friend did the edelbrock on his z51 and no issues, I did A&A on my 2014 Z51 10 months ago and no issues but mine is A6 and his was A8. You are the 1st that I have heard of such issue with SC even on a base vette. Sounds like it may be a clutch issue to me? Hope you get it resolved

Reactions: Henry427

· Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm surprised that the traction control (TC) system isn't keeping things in check... Maybe TC was disabled during the tune.

18,694 Posts
Another option would be to go to stickier and/or wider rear tires (the latter which of course could require wider wheels).

Best of luck getting this sorted out.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Traction control works fine, flickers like crazy under too much throttle. My take is nothing wrong with the supercharger, just enormous torque that overwhelms the suspension. It hops, which may be why the TC isn't as effective as it should be. Again this is the base suspension, the single option on the car being the Laguna Blue paint. Underway the car is a rocket, last weekend I left a new M550i way back in the rear view mirror, and that car is faster than any M5 ever built. It's purely an issue getting going. I guess as suggested it's possible the Edelbrock tune did something to the TC, but I would think they wouldn't mess with it. Thank you all for your comments!

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Don't know what you have as far as HP, but I have the same car with a Procharger SC and 677 RWHP and 610 RWTQ. I also track the car and have not experience any traction problems. With that said, I did go bigger with my street tires to 305/30s in the rear! On the track I use the same size tire but on a 19 inch rim. I also have the bigger Z51 shocks and sway bars.

Reactions: Henry427

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Since I have A6 and Z51 its like apples to oranges. Mine was dynoed with 610 WHP and 545 torque. if i floor it tires spin like crazy with TC on in any mode, if I floor it say at 30 mph tires will break lose for split second, backend will go left or right maybe half a foot and I see the TC light flash a couple of times as it tries to correct traction. since mine is Z51 I found best 0-60 using TRACK mode and WET sub-mode. When I let off the brake with full throttle tires spin for approx 10 feet and TC light is flashing on and off like crazy, 2nd gear I hear a chirp, as well as 3rd gear and I can see the TC light flicker on and off during those times. My best 0-60 was 3.1 seconds.

Reactions: C7AMFAST

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again thanks for the comments. I'm beginning to believe from your experiences I have a combination problem of suspension (my smaller shocks and other components) and tire size. As I said there's a lot of "hop" with the rear wheels, and I've been wondering if something like the Chevy T1 suspension kit wouldn't go a long way towards resolving the issues.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chevy T1 suspension installed....the car was transformed!

I finally had the suspension upgraded from the base Stingray setup to the T1 suspension, Connel Chevrolet in Costa Mesa did it for me (thank you Phil, my Service Manager!). As when I installed the supercharger, it is like getting a new car again. This suspension made huge leaps in the car’s ability to handle the power, and the cornering, transitions, etc. are almost intuitive now. Does it ride harder than the base suspension? Of course it does, but it’s absolutely streetable - my wife is my gauge for that and she hasn’t complained at all as a passenger the last couple of weeks. And the cool thing is, this car is so stealth....it looks for all the world like an entry-level Stingray, yet it packs a performance punch. I know the T1 setup isn’t as sophisticated as a car with the MRC shocks, etc., but boy does it excel at the job it was designed to do. When I saw the size of the base suspension shocks compared to those that came with the T1 it became clear why things felt so much more nailed down, not to mention the fact that now I have a rear sway bar where formerly there was none.

Time to just drive the girl now, enjoy it. Or maybe time to upgrade the brakes with the OEM Z51 kit, or get the bigger Z51 wheels. Something tells me I may never be done, but it’s cheaper than paying a professional for therapy, or something like that!

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Awesome!

· Registered
8 Posts
I also have a 2014 standard Corvette and I also put the Edelbrock supercharger on I absolutely love it I love all the power but I have the same exact experience you have I can’t keep it to the ground I have a six speed automatic I’m glad to hear about that suspension change I believe I may give that a try thanks for all the info

· Registered
7,935 Posts
Chevy T1 suspension installed....the car was transformed!

I finally had the suspension upgraded from the base Stingray setup to the T1 suspension, Connel Chevrolet in Costa Mesa did it for me (thank you Phil, my Service Manager!). As when I installed the supercharger, it is like getting a new car again. This suspension made huge leaps in the car’s ability to handle the power, and the cornering, transitions, etc. are almost intuitive now. Does it ride harder than the base suspension? Of course it does, but it’s absolutely streetable - my wife is my gauge for that and she hasn’t complained at all as a passenger the last couple of weeks. And the cool thing is, this car is so stealth....it looks for all the world like an entry-level Stingray, yet it packs a performance punch. I know the T1 setup isn’t as sophisticated as a car with the MRC shocks, etc., but boy does it excel at the job it was designed to do. When I saw the size of the base suspension shocks compared to those that came with the T1 it became clear why things felt so much more nailed down, not to mention the fact that now I have a rear sway bar where formerly there was none.

Time to just drive the girl now, enjoy it. Or maybe time to upgrade the brakes with the OEM Z51 kit, or get the bigger Z51 wheels. Something tells me I may never be done, but it’s cheaper than paying a professional for therapy, or something like that!
Guitar Man, it's great to read that your C7 Masterpiece is finally settling down and performing as you intended.

SF
Rick

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Funny that I just saw an episode of "All Girls Garage" over the weekend where they installed the Edelbrock supercharger on a Grand Sport and guitarman, your experience supports why they did not mention changing the suspension.

· Registered
3,370 Posts
I have an A&A SC and it is more forgiving.I have wider tires.In warm weather i’’m able to stand on the gears without radical wheel spin..
I get A lot of traction.
You must be thrilled!

· Registered
7 Posts
Don't know what you have as far as HP, but I have the same car with a Procharger SC and 677 RWHP and 610 RWTQ. I also track the car and have not experience any traction problems. With that said, I did go bigger with my street tires to 305/30s in the rear! On the track I use the same size tire but on a 19 inch rim. I also have the bigger Z51 shocks and sway bars.
How did you adjust for minor tire diameter changes with 305/30r/20 tires? Or did you not really worry about that?

· Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2014 standard Corvette and I also put the Edelbrock supercharger on I absolutely love it I love all the power but I have the same exact experience you have I can’t keep it to the ground I have a six speed automatic I’m glad to hear about that suspension change I believe I may give that a try thanks for all the info
hows it holding up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts