Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was given the opportunity to install the dual side catch can for the z51 on my 2014 Stingray made by UPR (UPR Products.com). I previously had another system I installed just on the dirty side and this unit was to replace it. I have had it on for approximately 400 miles and installed right after my last oil change. I'm very average in ability to do mechanical stuff (not to be confused with my veterinary surgery skills-lest you be worried) so if I can do this anyone can. The following are my comments and anyone who has questions please feel free to contact me.

First, Quality of the Product- All of the components are top quality in appearance and so far function-the hoses had very simple to use with quick release clips just like the factory ones and very sharp looking. The can itself appears very well made-all fittings set to easily accept the hoses. The anodizing was flawless on mine and it threads on and off easily, even after installation down in that limited space.

Instructions-The kit came with fairly straight forward instructions. It had pictures with appropriate points marked and helped make installation go smoothly.

Actual Installation-Putting the pieces on the unit and running the lines is a piece of cake-getting to that point at one point was a challenge-having NOTHING to do with the catch-can itself. To facilitate removing the existing lines to be replaced, the plenum has to be removed-Ah.....,there's the rub. Removal of the side covers is simple (with the Corvette Logo on them)-they just pop off. The sensor plug going into the plenum cover comes off easily. The 4 bolts (10mm) holding down the plenum have the ends that hold this cover on so it takes a VERY deep socket to remove them-first "PIA" (if you catch my drift). Then the biggest pain :p of the whole install is removing those clips that hold the harness to the fuel injectors. I've had crowns on my teeth come off easier than these devils-maybe they make a tool for it, but I ended up modifying a door panel removal tool and they popped out easier-I was worried on the first one I was going to break something removing it-again this has nothing to do with the UPR product. Even looking pretty ragged, they went back in and are holding fine. One thing I did that wasn't in the instructions was to remove the hood vent duct from the radiator housing-it's simple-4 screws and it comes right off, making the installation of the clean side VERY easy. It also makes the first line from the can going to the air intake easier. All in all even with the 30 minute battle to take those pesky fuel rail clips off, it only took about 90 minutes to do the whole thing.

Final look-very nice-UPR did an excellent job on the cosmetics (and I assume the mechanics) of the system. They are going to make shorter hoses it's my understanding which will make the finished install even cleaner looking (although the longer ones allow you to access the can easier). I only have about 400 miles on the car since install and last checked this morning-nothing in the can. This is similar to the results I got with the other system had installed at this point. I'll update at a 1000k and 1500K . Below are some photos I took of some of the install. Again, let me know if you have any questions.

email1.jpg email2.jpg email3.jpg email4.jpg email5.jpg email6.jpg email7.jpg email8.jpg email10.jpg email11.jpg 118A5007s.jpg 118A5028s.jpg

·
Administrator
15,574 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up and great pictures Gyrsaker!:cool:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
UPR C7 Z51 Dual Valve Oil Can w/Clean Side Separator Installation review/comm...

Great insights that will surely help others.

As far as the harness clips, would a little lubricant, like WD-40, help them come off easier? I'm sure some experienced mechanics on this forum will know of a trick.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
UPR is having a Black Friday sale on all of their products. Use code BLACK2014 to get 15% off.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Great insights that will surely help others.

As far as the harness clips, would a little lubricant, like WD-40, help them come off easier? I'm sure some experienced mechanics on this forum will know of a trick.
I actually just took my covers all off last night to send down to AH. I just snipped the clips and figured I'll replace them with new. The one in the driver's side rear is about 1.5" tall. Does anyone here on the forum have the part numbers of those clips, both the standard and the tall one, so I can order them off my dealer? I'm sure he can look them up, but since I would be ordering over the telephone and can't see what he thinks I want, it would be nice to have the P/N's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts