Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my order from UPR. Catch Can Kit for 2020 C8 Corvettes. I must say I'm very impressed with high quality of kit. Best of all requires no drilling to mount and uses existing mounting points in engine bay. Directions for installation are clear & concise.
I'll be mounting it as soon as new engine cover arrives. And will post pics & commentary.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
What is this?
This is an aftermarket devise that is designed to 'catch' oil blow by and excess oil missed by the emissions equipment. It has a fairly divided (and somewhat vociferous) following of those who believe it is essential to ensuring the longevity of direct fuel injection systems versus those who believe there is no need for it on our engines. The key premise is that valves in direct injection engines like ours, are not washed by fuel, as they are in regular injected and non-injected engines. This is because in our engines the fuel is injected into the piston chamber.

If you would like to learn more, here is a link to many of the related posts on our forum Search results for query: oil catch can

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may be wading into the swamp here, but my impression is catch cans were certainly of no use on naturally aspirated engines, and the real value was to keep oil mist out out of the intake/supercharger system on the LS1 in the CTS-V (pretty sure the same engine as the Z06). I put one on my 2011CTS-V, and would "catch" a cup or so of oil every 7500 miles or so.

Hope this helps,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is an aftermarket devise that is designed to 'catch' oil blow by and excess oil missed by the emissions equipment. It has a fairly divided (and somewhat vociferous) following of those who believe it is essential to ensuring the longevity of direct fuel injection systems versus those who believe there is no need for it on our engines. The key premise is that valves in direct injection engines like ours, are not washed by fuel, as they are in regular injected and non-injected engines. This is because in our engines the fuel is injected into the piston chamber.

If you would like to learn more, here is a link to many of the related posts on our forum Search results for query: oil catch can
I was wondering, who here actually owns a C8...
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
IMHO, catch cans are beneficial for any direct injection engine. Several years ago someone posted pictures of his C7 LT1 that was being torn down and rebuilt for racing applications. I believe the engine had less than 20K miles. The gunk that was baked on the back of the valves (called coking) was substantial.

I have an Elite catch can system, which produces about 4 to 6 ounces of oil residue every 6 months. Since installation of my A&A supercharger, the volume of "gunk" is the same but the liquid is not as dark or thick.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
Maybe they'll be OEM someday .
That is a possibility, however, most of the OEMs who have had direct injection engines in production for more than a decade have not added them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts