Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way home last night [6/2] around 7:30p. I think I may have blown an intake gasket or even worse blew the engine. Driving with traffic 70 / 75, high speed lane, giving I gas, no response. I was in manual mode so I shifted to 4th, still no accel, moved over to the middle lane and felt some serious bucking (almost felt like I was riding over rumble strips). Still tried to give it gas, no luck. Saw some white smoke pouring out of the drivers side front tire, first thought was crap flat tire, then crap maybe it's shredded (although as I was thinking, well that doesn't seem right for run flats but maybe i'm way off). The smoke continued to pour out as I moved over to the breakdown lane. Looked in the rearview and couldn't see anything across all 6 lanes of the highway (3 lanes north, 3 lanes south), complete white out. In this mayhem, a vehicle behind me crashed into the guardrail :/ (luckily he's ok sustained minor injuries and was sent off to the hospital, I didn't speak to the gentleman as I was preoccupied with on-star and figured I was the last person in the world he'd want to see). Rear of my car, covered in oil. Oil was leaking from the front end under the drivers side. The initial diagnostics said intake manifold failed (On-Star diagnostic). Anyways, tow truck guy showed up a little before 9 (left show around 7:30). He tried to turn it on, it wouldn't turn over, made an absolute racket (slightly concerned that I now have a wicked serious issue). Car is now sitting in the parking lot of the dealership.

Side note, was @ the dealership 4/28 getting the radiator replaced.

Really starting to think, going back to American was a bad idea....

Vin#: 06631

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Damn, I remember voting for your car in last months contest, great photo... sorry about your bad luck.

Doesn't sound like an intake gasket to me.

Is the car stock or have there been any engine mods?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I remember voting for your car in last months contest, great photo... sorry about your bad luck.

Doesn't sound like an intake gasket to me.

Is the car stock or have there been any engine mods?
100% stock.

Thanks for the photo compliment!

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
So sorry this happened to you and your stingray. Keep us posted :(

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Zing
That sucks big time! must have been due to your aggressive driving habits :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for the misfortion. I have heard there have been issues with some axial thrust placed on the inboard main bearing from the drive shaft that has lead to a bearing failure and naturally a blown rear seal. Info from a GM service manage suggests that this is often associated with an early failure and not a 6000 VIN number you have. Like to hear more. My Z51 now has 2200 miles on it with absolutely no issues - just smiles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the misfortion. I have heard there have been issues with some axial thrust placed on the inboard main bearing from the drive shaft that has lead to a bearing failure and naturally a blown rear seal. Info from a GM service manage suggests that this is often associated with an early failure and not a 6000 VIN number you have. Like to hear more. My Z51 now has 2200 miles on it with absolutely no issues - just smiles.
it'll be interesting to see has the oil I saw dripping was coming from drivers side, near the foot well. I couldn't get a good look on it as I was on the side of the highway with little to no breakdown area to examine. Didn't want to risk my life just to see where the oil was coming from. By the time the tow dropped me off at home, it was too dark and I needed to get the roof back onto the car. I'm sure this will turn into a cluster as many other things do.

Bright note? Lo-Jack worked, even though the text / phone delay was 30+ mins from the time it got moved w/o a key

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it is A blown engine,they will want to replace the engine not the car.I'm like one of the other guys,have the car replaced.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened. Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
If it is A blown engine,they will want to replace the engine not the car.I'm like one of the other guys,have the car replaced.
In this case, I agree for a few different reasons: get a new car.

That should be the least of GM's worries. I am sure they will be hearing from the lawyer of the guy who wrecked in the ensuing whiteout.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Couple questions:

Is this a Z51 Dry sump? If so, the oil you see in all the pictures of people draining 1/2 qt-1 qt from the air box/bridge, etc. is more than enough to cause hydrolock is ingested in a "gulp" of more than a few ozs as the piston is unable to compress liquid of any amount and if that was the case the rods usually pretzel and break and pop a hole in the block (would cause the exact symptoms your describing). Piston can break at the same time as this shows...this is form exactly what I describe:

And the rod:

This is FROM a GM Direct injection and as you can see the rod only bent as the piston broke first.

Interesting to see what the dealer finds....want to see pics of the parts if you can get them.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts