Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ventilated (GM quit calling them a/c seats) and heated seat option quit working about 2 months ago. The first two months were great. After discussing with several service writers and "technicians" about the issue at my local CHev dealership, they finally came around and agreed with me that they're not working properly (there's no air flow - at all - from the seat covers). One mechanic said I didn't have ventilated seats and that the little button with the fan on it was for my blower motor speed for the main a/c unit! Wow! So, the shop foreman took it in all day yesterday and got so involved (and perplexed) he put a call into GM who said they didn't have anything reported - ever. Took it to "Tier 1" who said the same thing. He said, "Well, there's always the first one!" and is expecting a call from the Engineers today or Monday.

I KNOW it was working great the first two months, but now I can't feel any cooling or heating for that matter. Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Hmm, so you're saying the activation buttons illuminate, you can hear the blowers, but there is no effect.

It makes me wonder if air flow has been restricted by something. It seems unlikely, given how new the system is, that a "filter" or other component could be clogged and restricting airflow, but that's all I can come up with!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the buttons light up. No, I don't hear the blowers kick on but the shop foreman said he could feel the vibration of the motor speeds when going from high to low. What really has him perplexed is that it's happening (rather, NOT happening) to BOTH seats! Weird!

·
18,670 Posts
There was an issue with wires being pinched on some comp seats, but have not heard same for GT seats, but that could easily cause the problem. Good luck and thanks for posting back as to what they found, so others can be aware of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My seats worked fine the first few weeks and now they barely cool and I have taken it back to 2 dealers and they say it working to GM spec... I requested a copy of that spec and they could not provide it... My old Ford edge seats only have heat but works fine... Come on GM this is not a KIA :)

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
My seats worked fine the first few weeks and now they barely cool
The 'cooling' effect is very dependent on the amount of humidity and the clothes you are wearing. The dryer the air the less you will feel any cooling. Conversely if you get in and you are a bit sweaty, you normally will find you can feel the 'coolness' (but not any actually breeze).

Reactions: STUNG

·
Registered
3 Posts
I attended the Spring Mountain course in May. You are jumping in and out of different C7's often. I noticed the ventilated seats worked very well. That said, their were 1 or 2 cars that were not working at all when selected. I asked one of the instructors about this and he noticed this as well but did not have an answer. Have the dealer check for pinched wires.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
romaja; Welcome, and could the seat fan motor in those cars be heard to indicate that the fan(s) was / were running?

·
Registered
60 Posts
my z51 "vented" seats are no where close to my toyota's seats,( it blow's cold air) and its a work truck..... I live in Florida where its getting close to 100deg. and not very happy with that feature. oh well going in monday for a oil change,for free, I will bring it up......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine are intermittent. Mostly on the not-working side though as of late. Looking for an answer as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have wondered about mine. First day I tried them they seemed to put out more than they do now. May well be due to the clothes you are wearing, humidity, etc as one poster said. The fan is working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
romaja; Welcome, and could the seat fan motor in those cars be heard to indicate that the fan(s) was / were running?
I dont remember if I could hear the seat motor running as the motor was running and NPP open. I would think it would be possible to hear with the motor off and maybe detect vibration as well and your head near the seat. The ones that were working you could really feel the air moving beneath you. This was in my at Spring Mountain and the temp was 75 degrees. Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
As mentioned earlier, at least here in the desert, it really depends on whether there is any humidity in the air and how you are dressed as to whether and how much you feel the air in the seats. I never hear the fans, but definitely do get a 'cooling sensation' when I have them turned on in RedHot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We were trying to figure out Saturday night if we could feel any air at all from the seats, and I guarantee you here in Dallas, TX it was hot and humid! :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I posted in another thread on this subject before I picked up my car but now that I have mine I must agree, the seat ventilation is anemic compared to the last 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's I owned. I think the fans run as designed but the pull/push of air is so anemic you only feel it if you are close to having swamp butt (a southern term.....).

They really need to rework the system or go with bigger fans.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I think the fans run as designed but the pull/push of air is so anemic you only feel it if you are close to having swamp butt (a southern term.....).

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
AKA "Monkey Butt" :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
again....my seats worked great the first couple of months. Now there IS NO FLOW going through the seats - period. Shirtless, silk shirt, humid, hot and you feel absolutely nothing compared to when I first bought it. Waiting for the shop foreman to call me back. I'll update when I hear something.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts