Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The image from the boroscope screen has a reflection so hard to see, and I am sure there are parts we could have done better. Will welocme feedback on how to improve.

·
Registered
378 Posts
why not dump the pcv system and install a vacuum pump and puke tank? and a top engine cleaner sprayed into the induction manifold?

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solvent based upper induction cleaners always allow some of the deposits they break loose to be forced between the piston and cylinder wall causing scouring, and then the oil needs to be changed immediately following to remove any of the solvent and debris that has entered the oil via blow-by to avoid possible bearing/journal damage. And it never cleans all the deposits.

A belt driven vacuum pump evacuating out one bank with a adjustable filtered relief valve on the opposite bank then into a puke tank from there is the best possible solution to it all....but find room to mount it and then they only last a few thousand miles on the street before needing new vanes, bearings, seals and usually the shaft gets galled as well. But that would be by far the best solution....aside from emission illegal in all 50 States and Canada.

We do use them on all our drag engines:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I feel like I was just at the dentist getting a root canal

·
Registered
117 Posts
Who can perform this service. Is it really necessary. Will it void any warranties. How much will it cost. What do you think the engineers at Chevy would have to say on this topic on this car at these early miles.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who can perform this service. Is it really necessary. Will it void any warranties. How much will it cost. What do you think the engineers at Chevy would have to say on this topic on this car at these early miles.
Warranty would be up to the dealer, but should be nothing about it that would affect it.

Cost is generally $400-$600, but few are trained to do it. We are training dealer techs steadily. Most will suggest a solvent based upper induction cleaning, but I dont like them for the reasons stated above.

There are two types of GM engineers (and every other auto maker).. The PR "talking heads" that will adamantly deny this is occurring and spin it like most politicians, then the "real" engineers that actually work in the design and refinement and addressing issues. They later are very aware of it and have done all they could to date to prevent or reduce the rate of coking, but as every one we have been into shows, that has had marginal success.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a limited time we are doing free installations for any that can come to our facility, and will also for no charge remove your intake manifold and document, with you present, while you wait, the level of coking you already have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts