Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Vinyl wrapped the whole car? If yes, how much did it cost?

My car color is white, and I was thinking to wrap the whole car with white 3M vinyl matte wrap? Any thought?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
It is your car, do what makes you happy.

I have no idea what it should cost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I really don't know the point of wrapping the car. Yes, it protects the paint and I guess if your goal is to see scratches or marks on your vinyl covered car or, but have the paint be fine and dandy, then wrapping is a good idea for a better resale one day. But you won't get to enjoy it unless your rewrapping every few thousand miles. You'll just end up having a wrapped car with damage to the vinyl. And that is unfixable unless you re-wrap vs if was your paint you can wash, clay it, polish it.....even wet sand it if you need be to get it back to what you want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
He just wants a white matte finish car without altering his factory finish with a repaint. Which would damage his resale. So his choices would be either paint a new car matte white or wrap it and keep it number matching. Or Plasti Dip...... I see quite a lot of cars going with wraps, some really high end stuff also. Plasti Dip is something that I've seen a lot of lately. On big dollar Porsches, Lambos, Bmw's. It seems to be catching on up here. I believe it is also cheaper than a wrap job (from what I hear, don't quote me as I have not researched it.Just hearsay). Could be another possible route to go that is easily reversible ( as long as it's applied PROPERLY!).To each is own.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Brandon, Express Auto Salon, one of our forum vendors, C7 is wrapped in matte white. PM express auto salon, I'm sure they would share photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
You have a few different options and I will try my best to explain them so everyone understands. Also I can not stress enough to exersise and use extreme caution when it come to people performing work on your vehicles and they are the cheapest guy in town. Let me just give you our concept yes we may be a little more than the guy up the road but we employee some of the most enthusiatic, maticulouse car guys around that enjoy what they do and are proud of it. We run a first class state of the art operation with proper insurance and full facility controlled and monitored by control 4. What does that mean to you right? This means your vehicle is monitored better then when it is at home in your garage this also allows our clients to view there vehicle from home, work or mobile device the entire time the car is at our facility. Also we use the absolute best of everything in what we do from paint protection film all the way to the soap that is used in our basic wash package. We fix issues before they become issues we have a no hassle do the job right attitude because we are car guys and want your car out representing us and our work! We don't play games when it comes to clients vehicles we understand how much your car means because every single one of our guys has a car to be proud of. This is why we maintain and care for some of the most exotic and rare cars in the country. Simply put if you want a good steak you go to the nice steakhouse in town not Applebee's for the cheap $14.99 steak so don't do the same to your pride and joy.

Here are a list of options

Plastidip (highly recommend against this) ballpark $1200

Some jobs look better than others

Cons
If not done properly can be a nightmare to remove
Just as easily removed it can start to peel
You cannot polish it
The feel and texture are just not what a car should have
No warranty
Longevity is a issue

Pros
If done properly is easily removable
Easy way to change color

Vinyl color change wrap (recommended) ballpark $3000

You archive some paint protection but this wrap is not designed with protection in mind. The thickness of the material is not enough to be labeled a protective film.

Cons
Not a protectant
It is almost impossible to cover every square inch ( when saying this I mean when you pop the trunk or hood and some tight areas)
It will scratch and swirl
you cannot polish it
No warranty
If left on to long it will be your worst nightmare
Can remove paint when removed ( rarely happens but it can which it depends on the prep work of painted surface)

Pros
Cheaper than a paint job
Wide variety of colors
You can do some cool designs with embossing etc
Looks better than plastidip
Last longer than plastidip

XPEL Ultimate & XPEL Stealth ( highly recommended ) ballpark $6000

XPEL Ultimate = clear protection so color of vehicle stays the same
XPEL Stealth= leaves a frosted matte finish to what'd color it is applied over

Cons
May add slight orange peel nothing worse than car already has
May have some marks from glue and film stretching (less noticeable with stealth)
Could remove paint when removed ( very rare and mainly seen in a cars with repaint )

Pros
Protects against rockchips and normal debris.
If done correctly it should be almost invisible.
Is a true protective film weighing in with as much thickness in protection than total amount of paint.
Has a self healing top coat. no more swirls its self healing, yes we have scratched it with a wire brush ourselves.
No need to polish or need for a paint correction.
10 year warranty.
I am extremely against quick details and constantly wiping a car. The more you wipe a car you are prone to introduce fine scratches and swirl marks, well guess what. You can wipe your car down at a car shown now because the fines swirls disappear. Not to mention when these swirls are introduced to your vehicles top coat when you dont have XPEL they need to be refined and polished down thus removing whatever your car topcoat is reducing the life.

I am sure I forgot a few things but wanted to give a response before it got to far. This is what we do for a living and are considered some of the best in the business, we do large amount of paint corrections and Paint protection film. In turn our guys have more experience than most because of this. We also take a bit longer to get on our schedule as well as to complete the job but we get it done right. I could go on and on about this subject of proper protection for your vehicle etc sorry.

Here is a link to my build I have the entire car wrapped in XPEL Stealth
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...3-express-auto-salon-artic-white-3lt-z51.html

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
How difficult is it to remove the EXPEL (Stealth) if you tired of that look, or a second owner did not like it? Are there any lingering effects on the car's painted surface after it has been covered several years with EXPEL or any film?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Id consider a satin white vs matte, looks sharper IMO
The XPEL Stealth is more of a satin pearl look I find.

How difficult is it to remove the EXPEL (Stealth) if you tired of that look, or a second owner did not like it? Are there any lingering effects on the car's painted surface after it has been covered several years with EXPEL or any film?
Great question Chip! XPEL because of its structure is one of the toughest to remove but that is not a bad thing. Because the worse enemy of PPF removal is time and deterioration. Thus the XPEL will more than likely be the easiest to remove in long term where other films break down and are a pain. But I am speaking from our experiance of removing a film with a 3-5 year warranty after 7 years. So removing film is a task non the less but push it years past its warranty and it will be tough. There is a technique to removing film and yes it is work and your fingers will hurt but the protection it provides is far worth the removal and replace process.

As far as lingering effects. Yes we seen people that opted for the partial kits (middle of the hood) have a faint line after 7 years. But this is on non garaged everyday use vehicles the line is more noticeable. This is another reason to do the entire front cap of your vehicle and just because you have film does nor mean set it and forget it. PPF film is porous and need to be properly maintained as does your paint. This is another reason we offer and push C-Quartz Finest to be applied to the top of both your PPF Film and paint. Personally I recommend the following depending on how much you care about your vehicle. I also suggest if you have a painted or carbon roof you have it wrapped in PPF as I have had most rocks hit the roof!

*if you have painted or carbon roof add PPF to option 2-4 *

Option 1
Full front cap protection PPF $1999.95

Option 2
Full Front cap protection PPF $1999.95
Clear plex windshield protection $399.95
*Roof Option* $400.00

Option 3
Full front cap protection PPF $1999.95
Clearplex windshield $399.95
C-Quartz Finest on top of paint and PPF starting @$1200.00 depending on paint condition. Requesting the dealer not even as much as remove the car from the bag will save you big here.
*Roof Option* $400.00

Option 4
Full body wrap PPF $6000-6500
Clear plex windshield $399.95
C-Quartz finest starting $1200.00

Yes there are more things I personally would add but this is minimum depending on how much you care for you vehicle or how long you are keeping it!

* updated *

Also key things to note we use XPEL Ultimate and Stealth film only! XPEL stand behind our film work and we have a reputation in the industry to uphold. XPEL is the industry leader in PPF as well as customer service they go above and beyond to make sure the client is satisfied. Your warranty is a nation wide so any issues can and will be handled. We also go the extra mile by removing the badges to ensure full coverage and less lines. We also do not use precut cut kits. This process takes longer and ensures for a better fit and coverage with fewer pieces trying to line up.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Can you put some prices to option 1-4 for a brand new vette?
And give a breakdown for each. For example, break out the charge for the "Full body wrap PPF" then the next line item of "Clear plex windshield" and then the line item of "C-Quartz finest". Thank you.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Nice...kudos for having the guts to put up these prices - they are fair for a pro job....most detailers won't as they know newbies might feint...LOL.... - don't get me wrong, I appreciate the labor involved in this, as I have done much of it...people just have no idea how much effort goes into any of these operations....my wetsand I did was 22 hours and CquartzUK another 3...so if I charged myself $75 an hour (which is very low) that's $1875! and needing to own $500 worth of tools and products....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Nice...kudos for having the guts to put up these prices - they are fair for a pro job....most detailers won't as they know newbies might feint...LOL.... - don't get me wrong, I appreciate the labor involved in this, as I have done much of it...people just have no idea how much effort goes into any of these operations....my wetsand I did was 22 hours and CquartzUK another 3...so if I charged myself $75 an hour (which is very low) that's $1875! and needing to own $500 worth of tools and products....
Thanks Glen for helping break it down and explain some of which goes into what we do. Most of the time we get the "sticker sock" but more often do people come and visit our facility and truly understand what goes into what we do and we get the comment "I had no idea how much time and work goes into all of this". For our market our prices are where they need to be at this time. For the quality of work I think we are more than fair that is why I have no problem posting them. People can beat or undercut our prices but they can not match the quality of work I am sure of that!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Thanks Glen for helping break it down and explain some of which goes into what we do. Most of the time we get the "sticker sock" but more often do people come and visit our facility and truly understand what goes into what we do and we get the comment "I had no idea how much time and work goes into all of this". For our market our prices are where they need to be at this time. For the quality of work I think we are more than fair that is why I have no problem posting them. People can beat or undercut our prices but they can not match the quality of work I am sure of that!
class act, bud....I think some people think mirror finishes happen with some Magic wax....LOL...hence the often post: "what's the best wax?"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Myself I'm leaning on Cquartz.Maybe doing the whole car.It's not cheap,but doing the clay bar and double bucket wash to keep the shrills down don't sound all that interesting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts