Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015, Corvette Z51
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to owning a Corvette. I've always had antique and/or classic vehicles. My Corvette currently has just over 15K miles and has the original Michelin Pilot tires.
I feel the run-flat tires are super noisy. I've read some postings regarding replacing tires after 5 - 7 years, however, what I've read has mentioned staying with run-flats. I thought If I replaced my tires with a comparable quality tire the noise factor would be noticeably lessened.

I'd like to hear from members with pros and cons on staying with new run-flats, or changing them altogether with something different. Thank you for your input.

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
The last few Vettes that I bought, I usually wear out the factories and replace with a non run flat, to me a smoother, quieter ride. I'm not advocating a non run flat tire, just my personal preference. I carry Platinum AAA, works well.

Your choice will depend on what is most important to you, the piece of mind of a run flat of not worrying about the repair immediately and getting to your destination. Or you may want to go in the opposite for the perceived smoother and quieter ride.

There are quite a few reputable tire manufacturers that carry either for your car, you will have to do some research ref. pricing, etc.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,619 Posts
Replaced my OEM runflats on my C7 Z51 with the Pilot Sport 4s about 8K miles ago and really love them. I don’t track my car, but do “occasionally” and “safely” drive it aggressively on city freeways / highways but never recklessly. For that application, I have zero complaints.
  • Much less road noise for mine - right after installation, I was doing over 100mph before I noticed - it was that quiet.
  • Rides smoother - don't feel every road seam like run-flats
  • Some have complained that the more-compliant 4S non-runflat takes the "edge" and some of the predictability off the C7 handling and road feel. I don't necessarily agree - It's just different.
  • Overall, I consider the refinement provided by the 4S to be an improvement to the already spectacular C7 Z51.
  • I have Slime Kit and AAA for emergencies.
    Green Tool Video game accessory Font Bicycle part

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I replaced my original tires with Continental Extreme Contact non run flats, which were great. Wanting a little more peace of mind, I switched to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season) 3+ run flats. They are quiet and the ride is only slightly harsher than the Continentals. I have 12K miles on the Michelins and given their wear, they should last for another 15K miles.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@Kyle - while you were in Mexico, right? ;)

Good question - i have reasonable tread on mine, but how many years should you push the OEM run flats? TIA

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Another tidbit: For the C7 model years of '14 and '15, the recommended pressure for OEM tires was 30psi. For the 2016 MY, it was increased to 35 psi. (for the sole purpose of increasing the EPA gas mileage rating). I have always run 30 psi. The result being a softer ride while maintaining an even wear pattern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm new to owning a Corvette. I've always had antique and/or classic vehicles. My Corvette currently has just over 15K miles and has the original Michelin Pilot tires.
I feel the run-flat tires are super noisy. I've read some postings regarding replacing tires after 5 - 7 years, however, what I've read has mentioned staying with run-flats. I thought If I replaced my tires with a comparable quality tire the noise factor would be noticeably lessened.

I'd like to hear from members with pros and cons on staying with new run-flats, or changing them altogether with something different. Thank you for your input.
Replaced the original Pilot Sports on my 2015 Z51 with the Pilot 4S. Seems to be a better tire in every way, quieter, better ride, great grip and clearly better in the rain. I carry a Slime repair kit which I think will work and if not there is always AAA!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I'd like to hear from members with pros and cons on staying with new run-flats or changing them altogether with something different. Thank you for your input.
The Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ is Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High-Performance All-Season run-flat tire combining summer levels of wet and dry grip with cold weather and snow mobility available at Costco under $270 for each front tire and $325 for each rear tire with 30k miles warranty. I won't want to be caught having a flat without service available for miles but then again, it's a personal choice. Hey, it's a Corvette that's supposed to be loud?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had a 2004 and had run flats, never had problem with them. If you want to switch tires, I just put BF Goodrich tires on my 2011. They are owned by Michelin so you are basically getting their tires at a reduced rate. I am very happy with them and they run smooth.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ is Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High-Performance All-Season run-flat tire combining summer levels of wet and dry grip with cold weather and snow mobility available at Costco under $270 for each front tire and $325 for each rear tire with 30k miles warranty. I won't want to be caught having a flat without service available for miles but then again, it's a personal choice. Hey, it's a Corvette that's supposed to be loud?
I agree. I bought the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP too, and love them. Much quieter then the OEM. There is no Jack or spare in the car, so you are taking a chance without run flat tires.

·
Registered
2019 Stingray 2LT - Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic - Kalahari Interior
6 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I am also new, I have a 2019 Stingray. I had the Michelin summer only tires when I purchased the car. I couldn’t take the clunking noise the tires would make on turns. That is a problem with those tires especially in the cold so I did some research and Michelin came out with the all season run flat tires. The reviews were good so I bought them and I love them. No more clunking noise, very little road noise. I drove 4 hrs upstate in the pouring rain with no issue and pure confidence with the handling. I also carry flat fix tools just in case of a nail or something,Slime and a plug in air pump. Good luck

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,619 Posts
Ditto, my exact same strategy as I have the Slime Kit with the built in air pump where slime/air are pumped into the tire simultaneously for emergencies coupled with AAA Card.

Green Tool Video game accessory Font Bicycle part

Replaced the original Pilot Sports on my 2015 Z51 with the Pilot 4S. Seems to be a better tire in every way, quieter, better ride, great grip and clearly better in the rain. I carry a Slime repair kit which I think will work and if not there is always AAA!

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,619 Posts
Always in Mexico, you are so correct.:ROFLMAO: Mine were in good shape but I sold them with wheels when I purchased new aftermarket wheels along with new meat.

@Kyle - while you were in Mexico, right? ;)

Good question - i have reasonable tread on mine, but how many years should you push the OEM run flats? TIA

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have ‘15 Stingray and replaced original run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (18 front 19 rear)...great tire!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Z51 states 30 psi. So I wonder if what you're saying happened mid-year 2016?

Another tidbit: For the C7 model years of '14 and '15, the recommended pressure for OEM tires was 30psi. For the 2016 MY, it was increased to 35 psi. (for the sole purpose of increasing the EPA gas mileage rating). I have always run 30 psi. The result being a softer ride while maintaining an even wear pattern. View attachment 279592

·
Registered
190 Posts
Another tidbit: For the C7 model years of '14 and '15, the recommended pressure for OEM tires was 30psi. For the 2016 MY, it was increased to 35 psi. (for the sole purpose of increasing the EPA gas mileage rating). I have always run 30 psi. The result being a softer ride while maintaining an even wear pattern. View attachment 279592
Good information. Mine is a 2015 so I never knew anything different. I keep mine at 30 and it is just fine - comfort and wear.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I just changed my stock tires on my 2016 Z51 with Michelin A/S3+ non- run flats and they are amazing! Much quieter, better ride, and not as fidgety on the freeway.
My stock summer tires were showing cord at 17,000 miles. You'll be very pleased. Just get one of those compressor with the sealer units and keep it in the rear compartment.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
My 2016 Z51 states 30 psi. So I wonder if what you're saying happened mid-year 2016?
Interesting. Check the thread "Correct Tire Pressure" where the 2016 change is discussed.

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 20 of 25 Posts