Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Has anyone had or seen posts of similar coil failure with stock wires? Granatelli will likely point at the coils for being the issue and put things in a pickle.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Has anyone had or seen posts of similar coil failure with stock wires? Granatelli will likely point at the coils for being the issue and put things in a pickle.
Nah. They're probably in a pickle. Haven't heard of "coil failures" on the forum but didn't do a search. The add on did it.

The buyer bears much responsibility, Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There are only five reasons for the plug failure that I can envision, e.g., a design flaw, a manufacturing flaw, an installation flaw, a unique combination of factors within the OP’s engine compartment (a catch can near them or ???), or lastly, that there has been some weather, water or even electrical factor that has happened to the OP’s car.
Thanks for your response. I can address the few that are related to me:

3) It is entirely possible that the wires were installed incorrectly. I would imagine, however, that a flawed installation would have presented itself fairly quickly. It also begs the question why only 2 wires presented issues while the remaining 6 did not. Installation to the coils is straightforward. It would be a difficult thing to mess up.
4) I'm running a UPR catch can but otherwise my engine compartment is completely stock
5) This is also entirely possible. Nothing comes to mind but who knows? All it would take would be a bit of moisture to make it past the dielectric grease somehow.

1) and 2) are the exact reasons I'd like Granatelli to respond. It is very possible this is 100% on me. It is very possible this is an issue they've seen on other C7s and I need to go back to GM. Heck, it's possible some tech knocked the wires loose during an oil change and this is a simple case of "sh*t happens".

The buyer bears much responsibility, Caveat emptor.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I did about as much research into a product like this as is possible. Granatelli are well known around GM engines. There's a lot of information on their products on other Corvette forums which cover a great number of models. Opinions around the value of their products vary, but that's also the nature of the beast with car forums. I had a pretty lengthy discussion with StingThis prior to purchasing around ignition system issues and warranty coverage of potential problems.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks. The bill is what it is though. I made the choice to put the wires on the car. I am considerably more interested in why.
Has StungThis (the Stinger) reached out to you yet and get any answers from him?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree with wingrunr21. Put these wires on my17 GS for possible performance gain and to add dress-up under the hood. 9K miles. Pulled them off yesterday. 2 coils show corrosion and need to be replaced. Just in time. No codes. Stock wires back on. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Agree with wingrunr21. Put these wires on my17 GS for possible performance gain and to add dress-up under the hood. 9K miles. Pulled them off yesterday. 2 coils show corrosion and need to be replaced. Just in time. No codes. Stock wires back on. Thanks for the info
Wow.

I wonder if people will go take those little wheels (which do not pivot) off from under the fronts of their cars before they touch down in a curve and wreck the cars.

"I just lost it in the curve and wrecked. I don't know what happened. I just lost it."

No, you didn't. Those little wheels touched down on the abnormal heave in the road in that curve; they could not pivot, raised your car up enough that your front wheels lost the ability to effectively steer the car, and that wrecked you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Glad you caught it early.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I did about as much research into a product like this as is possible. Granatelli are well known around GM engines. There's a lot of information on their products on other Corvette forums which cover a great number of models. Opinions around the value of their products vary, but that's also the nature of the beast with car forums. I had a pretty lengthy discussion with StingThis prior to purchasing around ignition system issues and warranty coverage of potential problems.
My "research" only extended as far as seeing the sales pitch: "Add 13hp with just wires".

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That’s on the docket next week
Please report back on what he says as there are many members here including me that would like to know.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
BTW Just went to the Granatelli web site and this product is still available to buy if anybody is interested. Product number 28-1545HTRB. $267.00

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
You’ve had your say. Take it somewhere else.
Sorry you took my comment that way. Just pointing out that even though folks are having trouble with the product and have made that known to the vendor, sales have not been halted and the product is still being marketed.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Boomer, the OP "wingrunr21" will let the vendor know this week, there is another member that just realized he has 2 coils with corrosion after he just pulled his wires off and put back the OEM wires on.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.