Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one else notice that water collects and doesn't drain in the trough under the trunk hood? Most noticeable after the car has been washed or sitting in heavy rain.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Any one else notice that water collects and doesn't drain in the trough under the trunk hood? Most noticeable after the car has been washed or sitting in heavy rain.

Thanks.
Randy, which model are you talking about please?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
During my BGAP tour, on April 4, a LRG coupe failed the water test. A tech was using towels and a shop vac to dry out the hatch area.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C7, Convertible. Whenever I wash the car a lot of water collects in the trough under the trunk hood and does not drain.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes, I noticed that on the passenger side as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I checked my car out the other during a wash and noted the following;

The water drains towards the rear corners of the car
The openings are about an inch wide and an inch high
They allow a lot of room for water to fall between the fender well and the trunk
when I washed the car it was pointed up hill a little bit allowing the water to flow toward the rear
There was very little water accumulated, mostly due to wax beading.

My car is a convertible and if the car was pointed down hill I the water would accumulate around the lid until it reached the discharge points. I think this normal for most cars.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a ZR1 that collected water at the left and right corners of the rear hatch where it closed against the "B" pillar, not in the back corners. I had to sop it up via chamese(sp) or if it was bad enough one could use a turkey baister. (large eye dropper) But if you don't clean it up then a quick acceleration usually too care of it. This is not all that uncommon. Years ago we used to say when you bought a corvette the leaks came standard and were part of the base price. But today we shouldn't have to put up with those leaks etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Sinner You can get the seals from corvette mod.com make sure you order for coupe or convertible good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2015 Coupe has collected soapy water from the first time I washed it. First item on my list when I go back to the dealer. Surprising that this was an issue with the 2014 models and was not corrected on the 2015

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
I have the same problem on my '14 convertible. After heavy rains or car washes there is water on the underside of the truck lid. It leaks into the trunk. Water is more extensive than condensation, but similar. Only this happens all year long cold and warm temperatures. Does anyone have a fix?

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
C7, Convertible. Whenever I wash the car a lot of water collects in the trough under the trunk hood and does not drain.
Yep, seems like a design oversight to me. I blot it up with a towel after I wash the car, and rain doesn't seem to get enough water in there to really worry about.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have an early build '14 coupe and have never had water collect around the hatch opening. My car has been outdoors since day 1, never garaged, and has seen some ridiculously heavy rain and snow in the 27+ months I've had it. I have not installed aftermarket seals. My car faces uphill in my driveway, with the drain holes at the low point. I do periodically check the holes for blockage, such as small leaves, and clean as required. I wonder what might be different between my car and those of you experiencing leaks. As a possible solution, try applying a little dielectric grease to the hatch/trunck seals. It may help soften seals that are a little firm. Also, perhaps adjust the two rubber bumpers on the lid - just a little bit clockwise and see if it draws the lid down enough to seal better. Too much might allow the hatch or trunk to rattle or not sit flush with the quarter panels. Worst case, visit your dealer. You do not have to put up with leaks - I have none, and I suspect most C7s do not either.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My 2014 vert as well as 3 C5's all verts had a little water puddle in the trough. I always opened the trunk and soaked it up with a towel. Nothing ever got in the trunk passed the seal. cutnout aka charlie

·
Registered
594 Posts
After washing and drying the exterior, I will open the hatch and dry under the edges of the hatch that are outside the contact area with the weather stripping. The water in the trough appears to drain ok and is dry after a short drive. I then open the doors and dry the threshold, door jams and under the door itself, I’ll even open the hood and dry the edges and make sure windshield drains are clear.

I got in this habit on all my cars after a bad experience with mold under the trunk lid of a 09 Avalon. I never had a mold problem in a car until I moved to FL.

Reactions: C7Man
1 - 20 of 31 Posts