Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm a geek, not a gear head, so I find myself coming up on a year with my new Stingray and I've yet to wax a car in my life.

First of all, does waxing really provide decent protection? And is waxing what I should be doing? Or is that old-school and I should be using something like Gtechniq Exo2?

If waxing is the way to go, what are you opinions about how to go about it. I love my car, but I'm jealous about my time too. It sounds like some of you spend an entire day doing this. Is that what it takes? What power tools can make the job faster/easier? How frequently do I do this?

And the worst question of all, which wax product is the best?!

In short, I really don't know a single thing about waxing a car so if you want to just point me at "Waxing for Dummies", I would understand.

Thanks guys. Love being a part of this community.

-Golden Geek

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my opinion, no wax is best, although some are better than others. On a new clear coated car, almost any quality wax will shine and protect. I use REJEX and Liquid glass - one old school and one new school product. Rejex is so non-stick you can hose off most bugs and other road "stuff." Rejex is also super easy to use - wipe on/wipe off. Liquid glass is easy on, easy off, but needs to cure in the sun between coats. Multiple coats are recommended since re-waxing does NOT remove prior prior applications.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,684 Posts
With today's high tech finishes, I haven't used a wax in years. An occasional clay barring, to get the contaminants off, and a name brand detailer product. Works pretty good for me. Have fun either way you go.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I really like the Meguire's Ultimate Quick Wax spray Glen turned me on to. I do my whole car in about 20 minutes (after a thorough washing, of course, which takes longer than the wax job.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I put A film on mine the name xpel look it up.Never need to wax if ya don't want.If you do wax you won't need to worry about swirl marks.I'm like ragtop.Use the spray stuff .it's fast and easy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Orange Pledge.... been using on ym painted surfaces for years now. Nothing compares IMO. Ummm I haven't used it on a new 2015 Vette though eheh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glenn E. The site you reference is not able to be connected to. A message states that it has been discontinued or moved. Can you direct me on how to locate it
Thanks and much appreciated

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm a huge fan of detailedimage.com. Their guide is top notch, and their customer service is second to none. The site is full of customer reviews, including mine. You really opened up a can of worms with what is ostensibly a simple question!

Wax does provide protection, but it can also enhance the character of your paint. If you've never waxed your car before, I would wholly recommend using a clay bar first. The clay bar will help remove any contaminates from your paint, making the wax more effective.

People do tend to spend a while waxing their cars. Personally I find it to be relaxing. I devote a morning or afternoon to it, and let everything else in my mind melt away.

Some waxes can be applied by hand, a machine or both. There are countless formulas out there. I have not used a machine to apply wax, but I have polished my cars with the Portercable 7424.

As a fellow nerd, I understand where you're coming from.

Read through the guide, and decide for yourself. The myriad choices can be overwhelming. I think it comes down to preference. What's better; a 911 or a C7, an AK47 or an AR 15? All are great, different but ultimately equal. What's best for you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts