Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Can't tell you how much I am enjoying my first Corvette and the community that seems to come with it. I'm amazed with how much everyone knows!

OnStar provides a nifty monthly report on mileage and other system statuses. I can think of several neat ways this type of information could be used if the data could be pulled from the car directly (w/o OnStar). Can anyone tell me how OnStar is doing is this? Is there a way to do obtain the data myself?

Thanks in advance. -Golden

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
You can use the OnStar RemoteLink (free for 5 years on the C7) any time you want on your smart phone and get information such as gas tank level, full left, fuel range, oil life remaining, mpg overall and for trip "A", tire pressure for each of your tires last time driven. You can also use the same app to search for an address and send it to your C7, to lock or unlock your doors, if you have an automatic you can remote start, beep the horn and flash the lights. Again all this is free when you download the app. Beyond these things you would need to go to one of the OBD2 scan tools available on the market that connects to the output directly infront of your hood release under the dash. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can use the OnStar RemoteLink (free for 5 years on the C7) any time you want on your smart phone and get information such as gas tank level, full left, fuel range, oil life remaining, mpg overall and for trip "A", tire pressure for each of your tires last time driven. You can also use the same app to search for an address and send it to your C7, to lock or unlock your doors, if you have an automatic you can remote start, beep the horn and flash the lights. Again all this is free when you download the app. Beyond these things you would need to go to one of the OBD2 scan tools available on the market that connects to the output directly infront of your hood release under the dash. :cool:
Whoa, I'm a non tech guy. What is OBD2? And this is my 1st Corvette and my first car with On-star so do I just go to the App Store and download the On-star app? I hate being stupid, but I'm trying to learn.

One new owner claimed he activated his On-star link and was able to track his C7 from the northern dealer to his home in Fla. This all sounds very interesting and any more info would be appreciated.

Thank you, steve

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Whoa, I'm a non tech guy. What is OBD2? And this is my 1st Corvette and my first car with On-star so do I just go to the App Store and download the On-star app? I hate being stupid, but I'm trying to learn.
yes - search onstar on the app store

One new owner claimed he activated his On-star link and was able to track his C7 from the northern dealer to his home in Fla. This all sounds very interesting and any more info would be appreciated.

Thank you, steve
you can only do this if your dealer reports your car sold and is invoiced...

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts

Thank you, steve
Hi Steve. You are not 'being stupid'- those of us who hang around cars too much ;) end up presuming everyone is familiar with acronyms. OBD2 is a reference to the on board diagnostics computer systems that all 1996 and newer cars have had to enable consistent trouble shooting. Actually it is pretty interesting that it is one of the few systems that all manufactures provide access to through a standardized hookup. The OBD connector is typically under the dash on the drivers side. Many states use that hookup when you go for an annual SMOG test so you may have seen them connect to it in one of your cars. Through that connection and with an OBD scan tool you can 'read' all sorts of information on your car including live data on various component temperatures, whether all of the SMOG related sampling equipment is finding within range data, error codes produced by one or more components and the history of the code, etc. There are of course various levels of OBD scan tools (today most are called OBD2) that have different capabilities. Almost all of them can read the generic codes, but in addition OEMs have vehicle specific codes that only certain OBD2 readers can interpret. Some but not all of the scan tools will also allow you to reset or erase an error code. But clearly owning an OBD2 scan tool or even understanding OBD2 is not necessary to enjoy the heck out of your C7! Re OnStar, as Glen e mentioned you just go to the app store for your respective smart phone and search for the OnStar RemoteLink app and download it. Once you do that and set it up you are good to go for the first 5 years of your C7 ownership. :cool:

Reactions: C7Man and elegant

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jsvette, thanks for that explanation. I was aware of the connection under the dash, I just didn't know the acronym you referred to.

I'm sure you cleared that up for a lot of other noobs as well.

Going to the App Store...

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jsvette, thanks for that explanation. I was aware of the connection under the dash, I just didn't know the acronym you referred to.

I'm sure you cleared that up for a lot of other noobs as well.

Going to the App Store...

Steve
Well, that didn't work so good. Found out that you have to have the car first!:confused:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'd love to turn that on right now to figure out where my car is. I bet the NSA knows. Too bad GM doesn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is anyone else aggravated with OnStar? I just had the worst customer service experience since dealing with Comcast!

I do not see much value in the OnStar service since I have built-in navigation and AAA for roadside assistance (and other benefits of AAA). I have been responding to the numerous phone calls, emails and intrusive in car announcements that I do not want to continue the OnStar service. It now turns out that they continued my service anyway on an auto-renew clause. I have not used any of the apps or services/information from OnStar, since I originally told them to cancel in in May '14.

I have been telling the callers who have contacted me from OnStar (monthly since April) that I do not want to continue their service. Yet they have continued to bill me without my realizing it, as it was getting billed to my wife's card and she was just paying it without my knowledge.

Apparently telling the outbound caller that you want to discontinue the service - and them acknowledging that fact, is not sufficient. So I am being told that I should have known that since there is a required acknowledgement that "emergency services " are being discontinued- and I didn't have those read to me, and I therefore didn't cancel services.

To make it even more fun I was told that I must continue my OnStar subscription if I want to dispute the charges because they cannot service a closed account.

I am so angry right now! Not over the $200 they beat me out of, but the way that they treat their customer(s). Seriously makes me not want to buy a GM product. I am buying a new car for work this week and was planning to buy a GM car. Not anymore. Going to check out VW. The CC seems nice.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
OnStar did something similar to my wife. Needless to say, we were not pleased.

I agree that their business practices seem shady, to say the least. To me, it says something: they must be really desperate for every dollar they can get to have such business practices. I hope these acts of "desperation" are indicators that they are dying from lack of renewed subscriptions.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi everyone.

Can't tell you how much I am enjoying my first Corvette and the community that seems to come with it. I'm amazed with how much everyone knows!

OnStar provides a nifty monthly report on mileage and other system statuses. I can think of several neat ways this type of information could be used if the data could be pulled from the car directly (w/o OnStar). Can anyone tell me how OnStar is doing is this? Is there a way to do obtain the data myself?

Thanks in advance. -Golden
The OnStar data is interesting, but I never subscribed to it. What I use is an OBD2 Blue Tooth adapter I bought off of eBay ($10) and an Android app called TorquePro ( $4.95 ). It has the ability to do a lot of neat things. One it can be used as a PDR, also you can use it to record all the data and upload it to a server for visualization.

Just another option!

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,018 Posts
One thing that OnStar can do for you is get you a discount on your auto insurance. I know State Farm and some other insurers will give you a low mileage discount if you let them receive monthly mileage data from OnStar. They adjust your rates at each renewal based on your actual mileage. My C7 is a daily driver (but low miles) so I don't qualify for Collector Car Insurance like that offered by the NCM.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Performance Data Recorder

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is quoted from an old post that stated: "You can use the OnStar RemoteLink (free for 5 years on the C7) any time you want on your smart phone and get information such as gas tank level, full left, fuel range," Aloha, although this post is from 12/26/2013 I need to know if this is true? Because I don't know how to find this on my Onstar on my 2015 Stingray. I ask because my fuel gauge is not working (always shows Empty even though the tank is full) My thought is even if Onstart MyLink could show this it probably would only do so if the cars gas gauge was operating correctly.... So Jeff if you can enlighten me about this I would appreciate it. Thanks David

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Here are instructions for using the Onstar app on your smartphone.

Reactions: HawaiianDrummer

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I would surmise that OnStar would only show the same fuel level as the gauge in the car if the problem is with the fuel tank sending unit. On the other hand, if the problem somehow were only with the gauge in the driver information center, then the OnStar work-around might work.

Based on David's other thread about the symptoms his car is exhibiting, my guess is the fuel tank sending unit. Of course, I could be wrong.

Reactions: HawaiianDrummer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aloha, GREAT News, And Thanks Mobius and Rodney!!!! I downloaded Onstar My Link to my phone and IT DOES SHOW THE GAS IN MY TANK (Well at least one of the 2 tanks) :pride:
So now I can easily know how far I can drive based on my average 19 MPG that I get!!! That is a load off my mind, because the gauge always reads empty all the time.
Also it gives me peace of mind because after calling the customer service "senior representative" he called back basically to tell me, They can't help me, but "I can call 10 auto repair shops on the Big Island that he found in the phone book and see if they would work on my car...........and then if one would repair the car, "then I can call the service manager in Honolulu to see if she can get G.M. to reimburse me for the repair cost!!" So much for customer Service, I am very saddened by the experience of the senior customer service rep not having the skill to go out of his way to find me a mechanic, I am saddened because the rep also hung up on me when I tried to tell him he should be helping me instead of me having to do all the work of finding a repair shop to do the needed work. ( he said" I can't hear you we must have a bad connection", "I heard him fine") So he called me back just to reiterate that I should find someone to repair the car......As I said I am a soft spoken person so I told the rep "I heard what you said, Goodbye". But atleast now I can see how much gas is in one of the gas tanks so I can keep track of my mileage, until I find some place to have it repaired, or wait till I hit the lottery so I can just ship it to Honolulu for 8 or 9 Hundred Dollars round trip.....saddened David.......... P.S. it was also torture trying to talk to the senior rep that could not carry on a conversation without hesitating and hmm and hawing as he nervously tried to come up with words to say, Clearly new to his job and Unqualified as a customer service representative.
Thanks again Stingray Forums members for being genuinely helpful! now hopeful David

1 - 20 of 80 Posts