Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that so many of the 'how to store your vehicle in winter' miss caring for weather stripping. Many of the squeaking roof and door complaints are caused by hardened and sticky weather stripping. There are two conditioners GM recommends, weatherstripping treatment or dielectric grease. I have always used the later. You can by GM original specification Amazon for between for $10 - $15. If you have never treated the weather stripping you might use the whole tube the first year.

Applying the grease is easy, put some on your fingers and rub it into all sides of the weather stripping, wipe off the excess with a rag. Many of the weatherstripping seals are 'folded' so be sure you treat all sides. The weatherstripping actually absorbs the grease so you will know when you have applied enough.

This is not just for Corvettes and something I do every year when I put the Vette to bed for the winter. BTW this is also a great way to treat the seals on the windows in your house.

The page GM recommended lubricant and the page from the 2017 owners manual is below.

Amazon link: ---https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4064-Dielectric-Grease/dp/B007Q10ITO/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=dielectric+grease+GM&qid=1602434411&sr=8-6 (Note while hyperlinks are and tiny URLs are useful, I do not use them so you are certain you are not being sent to a nefarious or comprised site.)

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Excellent point Stoan! While I am fortunate and don't have to put RedHot into winter storage, I apply the GM Dielectric Silicone to all of the rubber/weather striping around the roof panel, doors and trunk a few times a year. I believe that is one of the reasons I have never had any problems with the roof squeaking in RedHot's seven years.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,279 Posts
Yep, about twice a year (only time I remove the top), I clean the dust buildup on the weather stripping with a mild detergent, then take some cotton balls sprayed with dielectric grease and wipe down, then wipe the excess off. So far, all are holding up well, no squeaks, no air hissing, all good.

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Kyle, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say you should feel save in ignoring that warning re the Dielectric Grease not fitting your 2014. That is, unless you are ordering the Left handed tube...;)

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kyle, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say you should feel save in ignoring that warning re the Dielectric Grease not fitting your 2014. That is, unless you are ordering the Left handed tube...;)
Amazon (and all parts dealers) use one of several available tools that match Year Make Model Engine (YMME) to a universal hard parts references. To avoid saying a part fits a vehicle, these catalogs will always default to NO FITMENT if there is not an exact match. In general misc. parts like screws, greases, etc are not mapped and there fore will return no fitment. Below is the exerpt from the 2014 owners manual note that is the same as my 2017.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
681 Posts
Thanks for sharing and know that my post was Tongue-in-cheek and just found it amusing and funny.

Amazon (and all parts dealers) use one of several available tools that match Year Make Model Engine (YMME) to a universal hard parts references. To avoid saying a part fits a vehicle, these catalogs will always default to NO FITMENT if there is not an exact match. In general misc. parts like screws, greases, etc are not mapped and there fore will return no fitment. Below is the exerpt from the 2014 owners manual note that is the same as my 2017.

View attachment 278291

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Thanks Stoan! I don't have to put mine away here in SW FL but should still do this and I forgot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing and know that my post was Tongue-in-cheek and just found it amusing and funny.
I knew that is was. I just wanted to provide background on why non-OEM parts catalog's often miss smaller. universal build parts when OEM has a part number for them online. I cannot tell you how many time people would demand that a specific bolt with an OEM part number.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Has anyone tried using Silicone Spray Lube instead? Or does everyone use the dielectric grease?

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Has anyone tried using Silicone Spray Lube instead? Or does everyone use the dielectric grease?
I think that you would end up getting the spray over areas you don't want to (like the windshield) and then spend too much time wiping up (and smearing) the overspray. The lube is extremely easy to use and zero chance of overspray. I apply it using latex gloves and easily spread it across the gaskets and rubber that I am treating.

Reactions: stevec

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Yeah, I s'pose.... take the fun outta it. I have some permatex silicone that I'll use. Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Agree that some dielectric grease is great for weatherstripping. But don't forget the targa top on a coupe. Once a year I remove my targa top and coast the seals with dielectric grease and have been doing that on my Corvettes for the past 25 years.---Bob

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Yup, see my post #2 here.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used the GM silicone on my c7 and it actually made more noise. My 04 Prius never had its seals treated and its been out side since 2004. Go figure, I would treat the seals anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My GS spends winters at a heated vehicle storage facility. I thought between my knowledge and theirs that I had
all of the bases covered. Apparently not. Thanks to Stoan for the original post. GM silicone grease ordered!

Reactions: jsvette
1 - 18 of 18 Posts